1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Glad your back at it Decker your rig looks rock solid ! Good luck with the flip it's always a little a little nerve racking but it feels great once it's back down on solid ground .

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Geez, Decker...sorry to hear about you tearing up your ankle...hope you are mending...

The boat is looking great as usual...really like the raceway...

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery

Decker83

Commander

Glad your back at it Decker your rig looks rock solid ! Good luck with the flip it's always a little a little nerve racking but it feels great once it's back down on solid ground .

Thanks sphelps. Had to do something even if it was wrong.

Decker83

Commander

Geez, Decker...sorry to hear about you tearing up your ankle...hope you are mending...

The boat is looking great as usual...really like the raceway...

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery

GT, Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. It seams to be doing better each day.
Hope the tube I used is big enough for the wires and stearing. I will find out soon enough I hope. :eek:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Decker, You gotta get that healed up Dude!!! That comes FIRST!!!! BOAT CAN WAIT!!!!!

Decker83

Commander

Here is a little update on the flip. I had to make a new stand for the transom the one I used last year bit the dust. No way would it held all the weight. Also had to weld up a 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron frame to hold the extra weight.
100_2399.jpg

It worked very well except for how long it took to raise the boat 2 clicks at a time. Here or some pics of the flip.
100_2402.jpg

100_2405.jpg

Here you can see the the canopy was not high enough. Had to make some ajustments and raise the canopy about a foot.
100_2408.jpg

Here you can see how high the boat had to be raised to clear the hull support.
100_2409.jpg

100_2410.jpg

Down on the hull support. Tried to get a pic when the hull was vertical but had to much trouble the canopy.

Now to start the repairs on the outside of the hull and put a new gel coat on.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Decker83

Commander

Decker, You gotta get that healed up Dude!!! That comes FIRST!!!! BOAT CAN WAIT!!!!!

Thanks WOG. Its doing better and I don't like sitting around doing nothing.
Hope things or still going good your way.
Thoughts and Prayers or with with you Buddy.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Wow nice job on the flip ! I'll bet ya just couldn't relax until you had it set back down!
We're gunna have to start calling your boat Deckers Ark !

Decker83

Commander

Thanks sphelps, When that boat was vertical it looked like an ark.
It was a little nerve racking with all the weight in it. I keep getting pics in my mind of it crashing to the ground and
shattering like a corvette does in a accident.
Still have to flip it one more time. :eek:

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Decker, glad to see you back at , i am paying close attention since i have the same boat.Hoping that by the time i do mine i will have a how to book in my head along with the help of the Iboats gang of course.
I am getting lots of good ideas reading all the rebuilds on here.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Great job on the flip...almost like you planned it that way...:rolleyes::D

Have a great week and a Happy Fourth!

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi Decker ..... glad to see your feeling better and back at work. Great job on the flip it looked like it went well for you. Have a great 4th of July.

Decker83

Commander

Decker, glad to see you back at , i am paying close attention since i have the same boat.Hoping that by the time i do mine i will have a how to book in my head along with the help of the Iboats gang of course.
I am getting lots of good ideas reading all the rebuilds on here.

Thanks BigLee. It was time to start again. If you come up with any ideals that will help me out let me know.
This place is the best. More info than 1 person can hold onto and some of the best gentleman around.

Decker83

Commander

Great job on the flip...almost like you planned it that way...:rolleyes::D

Have a great week and a Happy Fourth!

Thanks GT. It really wasn't how I planed to flip the boat. I kept waiting and waiting for the little green elfs to come by and flip it for me.
But alas it just didn't happen no matter how bad I wanted it to.
Have a great 4th and be safe.

Decker83

Commander

Hi Decker ..... glad to see your feeling better and back at work. Great job on the flip it looked like it went well for you. Have a great 4th of July.
Hey Jon Sob. Thanks for stopping in. I am feeling better each day. Feels good to be back at it.
The flip went well with the help of my son in law and daughter.
Be safe and have a great 4th.

Decker83

Commander

Well I started to do some sanding on the gel coat. Looks like a long dusty job.

Have a few questions about how much of the old gel coat should I take off.
I have a few spider web cracks where the stringers are. It looks like the bunks were off to one side of the stringers.
Should I take the gel coat all the way down to the glass or just rough it up and spray new.
I will fix all the deep gouges and where I cut thru the hull.
From what I have read here on i-boats if you have to thick of gel coat it will crack.
If I do go all the way down to the glass is there any thing I need to do besides the cleaning with acetone. Do I have to put a new layer of cloth over the old glass before the new gel.
Thanks for your help and have a good week.

Decker83

Commander

Just looking to see if there was any replies to question above.

Didn't get to do any work so far this week. Went to the office and it was 92 degrees inside. Took all day to get the air fixed.
Also had a computer go out that same day so after work had to go buy a new one. Got home late.

Next day spent all day setting up the new computer to run all the programs we use at the office. Worked late and left about 8:00 pm
and went to the truck and it wouldn't start. Had to wait for the roadside service to get there to give me a jump. Got home about 9:45 pm. Got up early this morning to give the battery a charge so I could get to the shop and have a new one put in. Get to work an hour and half late so get to stay late tonight.

Hope everyone else is having a good week so far.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Sorry about set backs Decker . Sometimes stuff just happens ya know . LOL ! As for the gell question I wish I had an answer but just guessing gell sticks to gell on multi- coats so I would guess it would stick to old gell ok. Sand and acetone wipe sounds right but I'm not sure..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Jeez Deck, sorry to hear you have been having a run of bad luck...

I can't really give you any specifics on gel-coating...this from oops! hull extension thread...maybe some useful info there...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

gel-coating a hull......currently at page 137, posts #1185 thru #1190

Hope things start looking up for you...:)

Best regards,
GT

Decker83

Commander

Sorry about set backs Decker . Sometimes stuff just happens ya know . LOL ! As for the gell question I wish I had an answer but just guessing gell sticks to gell on multi- coats so I would guess it would stick to old gell ok. Sand and acetone wipe sounds right but I'm not sure..

Thanks sphelps. Life does seam to get in the way sometimes. I got it all taking care of.

I have some spider web cracks on the bottom of the hull and I don't want to go over them and they crack again. I know I will be sanding those areas down to glass.

Jeez Deck, sorry to hear you have been having a run of bad luck...

I can't really give you any specifics on gel-coating...this from oops! hull extension thread...maybe some useful info there...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

gel-coating a hull......currently at page 137, posts #1185 thru #1190

Hope things start looking up for you...:)

Best regards,
GT

Thanks GT, I have read OOPS thread from front to back. Alot of good info there. He took all the gel off his boat before he regelled.
But he did so much fairing and then he put a new layer of glass over all the hull.
Man what a job that was for him and he didn't use air tools. He is a gorilla man.
I just don't want to put it on too thick and have it crack. I do have some air tools to use and this is going to be a job.
I think if I just take it down to the glass and clean it up really good I will be ok.
May have to use some of your mix for the fairing.
Have a good rest of the week.