1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

It's been a bit since I have posted. I am still alive and somewhat kicking and have done some work on the boat.
Added 2 more bulk heads. Just finnished putting on the csm and the 1708.
I think its ready to filp the hull and start on the gel coat.
I will get some new pics of the bulk heads in and some other things I have done. Then some of the filp. I hope!!!

Trooper82

Commander

Cool! a flippin' we will go.....a flippin' we will go...

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey Decker .... can't wait to see the pics you've done a great job. Good luck on the flip.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you get some pics of the flip I don't think I have seen a deck boat flip yet !:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey Decker just checking in on ya ! You doing ok . Any updates ?:)

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok i just got an 1981 Lo Decker Deck boat,looks just like yours mostly, i noticed deck boat made some changes to the railing and mine has an I/O OMC .
OK so here my question, i did not see you adding any drain holes between bulk heads or from the outer stringers to the center bilge area, did i miss this or is there a different plan?
Just wandering as i will begin the rebuild on mine this fall.deck boat5.jpg
the tall thing in the back is the motor cover open

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi Decker,

I've been away for awhile with a pooped out computer...but I am making a come back...:rolleyes:

Hope all is well with you and yours...

Best Regards, GT

Decker83

Commander

Hey Decker just checking in on ya ! You doing ok . Any updates ?:)

Thanks Sphelps, I doing good but I mess around a few weeks back and sprang my angle real bad. Had to slow down some. Its getting better.

ok i just got an 1981 Lo Decker Deck boat,looks just like yours mostly, i noticed deck boat made some changes to the railing and mine has an I/O OMC .
OK so here my question, i did not see you adding any drain holes between bulk heads or from the outer stringers to the center bilge area, did i miss this or is there a different plan?
Just wandering as i will begin the rebuild on mine this fall.View attachment 154233
the tall thing in the back is the motor cover open

Hey BigLee,
Always nice to see another Deck Boat here. Glad you stopped in.
To answer the question. I did not drill any holes between the bulk heads or the stringers. I did leave between the 2 inside stringers completely open from bow to stearn. If you look at some of the pics in the begaining of the post you will see how the factory did the foam. I plan on doing about the same. I am planing on putting some under the deck storage that the factory didn't do. Any of those boxes will have a drain pipe runing to the center of the hull. In all of the other places I plan to use pour in foam and cover it with the pink board to seal in the foam.
I have read and read and listened to all the pro's and con's of the foam and all the different ideals on how to make drains in the foam.
This is just my personal thoughts and do not wish to start a foam war in the thread.
The foam of today is better than it was back in 1983. When I started to tear down my boat, all the foam that had water in it came from the bad deck. The stringers were in very good shape and did not have any water damage. I could have left them in place. But I didn't by my own choice. Back to the foam. When you pour in the foam it makes a seal against anything it comes in contact with. The closed cells of the foam will seal its self from leaks as long as it is not punchured. Now if I do get some water in the foam and the closed cell allow the water in, I don't think it will drain down to the limber holes and alow it to drain out of the bilge. The foam has made a seal between the hull and the stringers and the bulk heads. How is this water going to travel thru all the foam and if it does then is your foam doing its job. Its supposed to make the boat float if it goes under.

I understand there are millions of boats with bad transom and wet foam and bad stringers. This just makes my point that foam will not let the water out. Once it is wet it can only be removed it will not dry. So why go to all the different ways to try to make it drain. I would much rather try and make the boat more water proof and protect the boat from the outside elements.
Mine would not have been this bad if I had done a better job of keeping it covered and stored better.

Please don't take any of this in the wrong way. I am planing on doing some better ways of foaming than the factory did and in a totally different way. But that's down the road. My main objective is to seal any type of holes in the deck as well as can be and prevent any type of screws to penetrate the foam. I have a lot of planing to do still. (lol)

Ok guys you can now let me hear about it.

Bye the way BigLee, Nice looking boat you have there.

Decker83

Commander

Hi Decker,

I've been away for awhile with a pooped out computer...but I am making a come back...:rolleyes:

Hope all is well with you and yours...

Best Regards, GT

Nice to hear from you GT. Thanks for dropping in.
Hope the comput was not to far gone.
Hope you have been able to keep up with all the great work you have been doing.
All is well with mine and I hope all is well with yours too!!!

Trooper82

Commander

Decker,

Hope you are on the mend...

Need to get walking on it a little... :)

Decker83

Commander

Thanks Trooper,
I have been walking at work and a little with the wife a the stores. Just can't seam to keep the swelling down.
But it does feel alot better now.
Going to try and get the hull flipped this weekend.
Tried of not being able to work and watching everone else working.
Falling to far behind and its getting hot here. 106 yesterday.

Decker83

Commander

Here is a pic of my ankle after about 4 weeks. Looks a little gross.

100_2394.jpg

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey Decker .... sorry to hear about your little accident. Don't worry about the boat for now just make sure that you heal well. The boat will still be there when you are ready.

Trooper82

Commander

Looks worse than just a little sprained ankle...don't take my advice!

The boat will wait...mend yourself first...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Wow Decker that looks pretty bad .. Take the doctors advise and get well. I know it drives you nuts not being able to work but you will be back at it soon enough!
S.P.

Decker83

Commander

Thanks Guys for your concerns.
I have been taking it easy for to long. Need to get some work done even if its just a little bit.
We will see I how I feel this weekend.
Hope to get the hull flipped this weekend.

Decker83

Commander

Did a little work tonight. Trying to get things ready to flip the hull tomorrow.
Have a pic of the last two bulk head put in. Did this a few weeks back.
All things go well will have some pics of the flip.

100_2395.jpg

Trooper82

Commander

Looks like perfection to me...when did you put the raceway in? I must have missed that..but I like :)

Decker83

Commander

Put it in right before the last 2 bulk heads were put in.
Thanks Trooper.