1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

rrumba

Ensign
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

holy cow decker, and only 2 sheets of ply???? excellent job on everything. now if you can make some storage out of all those areas you would be set... Keep on truckin

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Very impressive Decker ...... that is an excellent job!!

Decker83

Commander

Well after all the cracks about the gap (pun intended) I thought I better get out the belt sander and see if I could
get some approval. (LOL) JK :eek:
Here or a few pics after the belt sander. There is still a small place in the inside radius that will need to be filled with PB.
100_2390.jpg

100_2391.jpg

100_2393.jpg

Now for a dumb question? How do you add more than one quote at a time to the thread.

jbcurt00

Staff member

At the bottom of a post, there's:

Reply................ Reply With Quote................. and a funny little box w/ a + symbol next to it......

Click the little box & + symbol and it changes to a check mark, once you've checked all but the last post you want to quote, click reply w/ quote and it brings all the checked posts too.... Then you can delete extra details & photos or not...... But you should then have them all...

Decker83

Commander

At the bottom of a post, there's:

Reply................ Reply With Quote................. and a funny little box w/ a + symbol next to it......

Click the little box & + symbol and it changes to a check mark, once you've checked all but the last post you want to quote, click reply w/ quote and it brings all the checked posts too.... Then you can delete extra details & photos or not...... But you should then have them all...

Thanks jbcurt00
I could not figure that out. :facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey, if you'll bring the glassing skills over my way, I'll give ya all the posting & computer help you'll ever want!

That many bulkheads & fillets, wow.....:eek: Makes my back hurt just looking at the pix.....

Very well done!

Where ya putting the steam driven launch ram? Once the USAF starts landing on your deck, they'll need some help getting off the somewhat shortened runway:rolleyes:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I was wondering the same thing on the quotes.:confused: :)
Nice work on the bow plywood! BTW my weedeater is broke to! LOL! :D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Tried to post several times and my ipad keeps crashing... So, i've hopped on the computer to tell you that the wood work and glass work look awesome... You have set the bar very high on the glassin... This deck boat is going to be a tank...

Decker83

Commander

Wow Decker the 1708 looks perfect I sure wish I had your glassin skills!:cool:
Thanks sphelps. All I do is wet it out and roll it with the bubble roller untill it looks good.

Very nice work Decker, like the straight lines on the tabbing.
Thanks Tropper Before I lay the 1708 I fold it in half and get some ideal where the middle is and work from there.

I think you'll be able to winch her from dry ground and not worry about rippin that eye out!!!! Nice work on the bow. And yeah, what IS that slot for??
I hope the bow eye stays put. I seam to always have a leak there in other boats I have owned. I drilled out the holes to 9/16" and filled in with PB. When I put the eye back in for the last time I will use the 3m 5200.

Amazing, beautiful, fantastic, incredible...there are not enough positive adjectives in the English language to express how much of a magnificent and marvelous job are doing...
GT1M Don't know how to react to this.
All I can say is THANKS VERY MUCH!!!! :D

Decker83

Commander

That ain't a boat....it's a dang battleship! Very impressive work Decker!
Thanks rickryder.
It does have a few bulkheads in it. The factory had them at 24" centers and I used 16"

holy cow decker, and only 2 sheets of ply???? excellent job on everything. now if you can make some storage out of all those areas you would be set... Keep on truckin
Thanks rrumba
I have a few places I want for storage but most of it will be filled back with the 2 part foam.

Very impressive Decker ...... that is an excellent job!!
Thanks Jon Sob. Just trying to keep up with you.

Decker83

Commander

Hey, if you'll bring the glassing skills over my way, I'll give ya all the posting & computer help you'll ever want!

That many bulkheads & fillets, wow.....:eek: Makes my back hurt just looking at the pix.....

Very well done!

Where ya putting the steam driven launch ram? Once the USAF starts landing on your deck, they'll need some help getting off the somewhat shortened runway:rolleyes:

If I could get to you I would be more than happy to help spread some resin. Thanks for your help again.

I was wondering the same thing on the quotes.:confused: :)
Nice work on the bow plywood! BTW my weedeater is broke to! LOL! :D
sphelps my weedeater has been broken since 2001. (LOL) Just can't get the mower to go around all the scrap drop off and the extension cords and everything else in the yard. Good excuse for me :eek:

Tried to post several times and my ipad keeps crashing... So, i've hopped on the computer to tell you that the wood work and glass work look awesome... You have set the bar very high on the glassin... This deck boat is going to be a tank...
Pmc
I do appreciate the kind words. After watching all the work you did on your transom and how well engineered and constructed it is, I'd say you set the bar very high.

Decker83

Commander

I plan on flipping my boat in the next week and start to gelcoat the hull. I know how hard it is, I have done it before.

My question is how much difference is there in the gelcoat brands.
Some sell for $200.00 a gallon and others sell for $50.00 a gallon.

What is the reason for the difference in price. Is one that much better than the other.

What is a good gelcoat to go with.

I will be spraying it on with a preasure pot and I do have a large compressor that will handle the job.
The preasure pot is a 2 1/2 gallon and I also have a 1/2 gallon pot. Have a brinks spray gun.

Don't want to go cheep but I don't want to spend too much if I don't need to.

Any help from the pro's here would be greatly apprecaited.

Decker83

Commander

I plan on flipping my boat in the next week and start to gelcoat the hull. I know how hard it is, I have done it before.

My question is how much difference is there in the gelcoat brands.
Some sell for $200.00 a gallon and others sell for $50.00 a gallon.

What is the reason for the difference in price. Is one that much better than the other.

What is a good gelcoat to go with.

I will be spraying it on with a preasure pot and I do have a large compressor that will handle the job.
The preasure pot is a 2 1/2 gallon and I also have a 1/2 gallon pot. Have a brinks spray gun.

Don't want to go cheep but I don't want to spend too much if I don't need to.

Any help from the pro's here would be greatly apprecaited.

Just repeating the question.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sorry I can help answer the gel questions. Did friscoboater talk about what gel he used on his 2nd resto? Maybe do a youtube search for gelcoat...

Decker83

Commander

I think friscoboater used some of the lower cost gelcoat. I used some from us composites for the fuel cell and the bildge area. It seamed to work good. It was some of the lowest price I could find.
Not sure if it is the best for the hull.
I was hoping YD or OOPS or Ondarvr would see this and respond.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, pick 1 & PM them tonight, then another tomorrow late afternoon, another Fri mid afternoon....Gives them 12-18hrs to reply.... Oops has been on late EST, and I guess working a bunch too.

If you liked the US Comps, stick w/ it. A diff gel might be just enough diff that you have to 'learn' to work w/ it.....

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Yep, I agree w/JBC^^^^ on both counts...sorry I am like Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes, I know Nat-zing!... when it comes to gel-coat...

dennywynn

Cadet

Hello all . im new to iboats and have read all of the threads . this is a great job on the deck boat . i just purchased a 1971 deck boat by anchor plastics company . no longer in buisness the deck is completely rotted out it had square styrofoam in it instead of the 2 part pour in foam . all was waterlogged .i have gotten a lot of good info from this sight the transom seems fair the stringers seem ok probably just going for a quick repair. just waiting to see the rest of your restoration thanks

Decker83

Commander

Thanks dennywynn and welcome aboard.
When you get all of the wet styrofoam out, make sure and do a core sample on the stringers and the transom.
Take a drill bit and drill some holes in the transom from the inside of the hull. Put some tape on the drill bit to mark how deep
you or drilling. Don't want to drill more than 3/4" deep. If the wood shavings or dry and light in color its good. If wet or dark in color,
replace it. Do the same for the stringers too. I just couldn't go that far without a complete restore. Not that much more work and its done right.

There lots of great gentlemen here to help you with all your questions.
Get your thread going and lets see some pics.

dennywynn

Cadet

Thanks dennywynn and welcome aboard.
When you get all of the wet styrofoam out, make sure and do a core sample on the stringers and the transom.
Take a drill bit and drill some holes in the transom from the inside of the hull. Put some tape on the drill bit to mark how deep
you or drilling. Don't want to drill more than 3/4" deep. If the wood shavings or dry and light in color its good. If wet or dark in color,
replace it. Do the same for the stringers too. I just couldn't go that far without a complete restore. Not that much more work and its done right.

There lots of great gentlemen here to help you with all your questions.
Get your thread going and lets see some pics.

thanks decker 83 for the info i will keep watching your updates and try to start a thread on my rebuild of course mine wont be as good as yours thanks again