1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

I can go to one, about 50 miles away, but hell I just drove 60 to get my paint. whats it called and where would I find it there?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Valspar hardener.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks, 1 more question on painting, I am doing 2 colors...should I mask off where second color goes then paint first....remask and paint second, or should i just do first color overlap where second goes then mask and paint over the first color?? will it leave any sign ?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, 1 more question on painting, I am doing 2 colors...should I mask off where second color goes then paint first....remask and paint second, or should i just do first color overlap where second goes then mask and paint over the first color?? will it leave any sign ?

I would do, color 1, mask off and then color two. It shouldn't leave a mark.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

so this is why you dont get in a hurry when building things, apparently I only put 1 screw holding the base to the legs. put boat on the cradle so i could paint without bending over.....lol leaving it til im done then ill fix it

IMG_3084.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

Another paint question, I did not use a hardener in my primer, is that going to be a problem? and do i put hardener in each coat or just the final coat?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I know you don't add it to the primer so you're good there. Not sure about the coats.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

First coat of my tan is on! anything i left white will be deep green...Definitely not like you professionals but pretty happy with my first paint coat

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

Decker83

Commander

Judge

You should look at Woodonglass thread. He has alot of information on painting with the rustolem. Do a search on him.
So far your looking good. When you do your flip and start fiberglassing I would try to beef up where you patched the holes in the transom.
Also use longer screws when you fix your cradle. I used 3" screws and put in 3 of them when screwing into end grain. Screws don't hold as well when used in the end grain.
Keep up the good work.

Kent

JDA1975

Lieutenant

ended up reading woods info, and got the first coat on it. The screws actually pulled out of the sides weren't on ends, the problem was originally that piece was nothing more than to hold the 2 boards apart,,,but decided to add rollers and never added any screws,,,was a humorous mistake I had no choice but to laugh when it happened....Planning to do second coat of tan tomorrow in the AM...how long do i need to wait before I can put tape on it, to mask off my lines for painting the green?

Decker83

Commander

I would give Woodonglass a PM. He is very good with the painting and very helpful.

Kent

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey JDA .... the paint looks good. I am about to paint mine the same way in the next day or two and I hope it comes out like yours. Good Job.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

just be glad you live in Ohio...think one of my neighbors told her husband I was outside painting in late evening...and a moth flying around her porch light heard her, so he called all his friends and they called all theirs, and all of them came and landed on my wet paint! kinda the reason i did first coat in the evening so i can sand them critters off and do second coat during the day when they are hiding.....arkansas bugs bug me, wishing i had a closed garage!

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's funny .... I'll be painting mine outside so I am sure that I will have a few bugs to deal with but I am more worried about these Ohio birds.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

ill get a picture in the morning, but I swaer we got like 30 moths came and landed in same spot, the rest of the paint was untouched!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So here are a few daylight pics, and a pic of the bug party i talked about, only one spot and seems like 30 landed at once. still only first coat so will sand bugs out and get that coat smooth before I do second

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

got my second coat on, looks great from a distance, but up close I am getting a definite orange peel, I am going to do a 3rd coat now after sanding this new orange peel off, what can i do to avoid it, should i go thinner on my mix? I am roll & tipping, using a dense foam roller and a 2.5" Purdy brush to tip. I am working alone so cant move as fast as I'd like. Anyhow heres a couple pics

Definite orange peel!
IMG_3118.jpg

from a distance
IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

Can see the reflection of the outboard alot better this coat, I really want to get it clearer though

IMG_3119.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sorry I missed you. Your orange peel may be caused from to much paint and rolling to much and to fast. If you can "Hear" the roller on the paint then you're rolling to long. Use a very light stroke. Instead of tipping with a brush try using an almost dry roller on the final pass. It should lay down smooth if you do that. You might also try thinning with mineral spirits to give the paint a bit more time to settle and smooth. Just remember two light coats are better than one heavy coat, especially when rolling. You use hardener in every coat. You can use any acrylica enamel hardner. Advanced Auto sells Acme Finish One hardener that I have use and it works great. After the final coat drys for 48 hrs you can tape for the second color but...Use a good quality Paint tape NOT masking tape. The green Frog tape works pretty good. Get everything ready for the second color Tape it off, shoot it. let it dry for couple of hours and remove the tape. As long as the tape is not on for more than 24 hours you'll be fine. PM me anytime you have questions.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

thanks wood, I think the too much too fast it whats happening, seems like i cant roll more than about 6 inches before i hear the roller. I feel like each coat I am getting better at applying, can you use a rubbing compound on this paint if you have minor flaws in it on final coat? and also is it ok to wax this after it cures...I see others use this paint and have a mirror finish, im just wondering if they do something to final coat or they are just that good at laying it down? I got the blue Scott painters tape also, is that ok? got the "delicate surface" type for freshly painted surfaces?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Blue tape adhesive is a little aggressive. I'd use the green frog stuff. Yes, after a week of full cure on the paint you can buff and polish to a mirror finish. Just don't get to agressive. I'd wet sand her with 320 grit befor applying the final coat. I would also use Mineral Spirts to thin so you'll have more roll time. Go with thinner coat and go back over it. It should go down real smooth that way.