Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

Looking good!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Looks Good,
One step closer.
Hey Inotioced you are in Cherokee Village, is that in Arkansas?

Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah its arkansas...the name is too long so on my avatar it says it in 2 lines

Cherokee Village
Arkansas

like that lol. Appreciate the comments, I am pleasently pleased, sure it will look alot better still once second coat is on, coverage is a lil thin so not completely white

JDA1975

Lieutenant

so that primer looked good until i went out and sanded...the second side had alot of runs, think i got tired. Anyways ready to do next coat of primer, but think I will do it half at a time with a break in the middle, I know i dont need to on my primer coat but this run i plan to roll and tip for practice so it better come out perfect lol

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Second coat of primer done, going to give it 2-3 days to fully dry, then sand it smooth before painting, dang bugs wont stay away from that white!

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Looking good, It's always nice to look at work well done.
I use to have a friend that lived in Cherokee Village. I lived in Heber Springs and worked in Batesville.
My Daughter still lives in Heber Springs.

Good luck with the project

Bob

duhmey

Seaman
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JD, boat looks great! While I sit stagnant struggling with a cash flow problem you are cruising right along...keep up the great work. I am continually motivated by reading posts such as yours and your progress.

Thanks for stopping by my thread, I will keep following your project; as a beginner I have much to learn and people like you are an awesome resource for me!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks, glad my project interests you, the good news is, you can do alot of work without a lot cash flow...so far i have spent less than 200 bucks, and alot of that was in the paint/body work. The cash I use are my wife's bonus checks, so only get new cash every 3 months. Painting is next step and flipping then it will be a long pause as it will cost me around 500 so to buy all the wood/fiberglass materials to do deck rebuild, so will be at end of December when she gets her next bonus check. tear down can take quite a bit of time, if its a side project, grinding wont cost much if you already have the tools, paint prep costs a lot of sandpaper, but not super expensive. Key is getting started. I have read alot of posts here that take several years on their restore, just do what you can when you can!

duhmey

Seaman

Thanks, glad my project interests you, the good news is, you can do alot of work without a lot cash flow...so far i have spent less than 200 bucks, and alot of that was in the paint/body work. The cash I use are my wife's bonus checks, so only get new cash every 3 months. Painting is next step and flipping then it will be a long pause as it will cost me around 500 so to buy all the wood/fiberglass materials to do deck rebuild, so will be at end of December when she gets her next bonus check. tear down can take quite a bit of time, if its a side project, grinding wont cost much if you already have the tools, paint prep costs a lot of sandpaper, but not super expensive. Key is getting started. I have read alot of posts here that take several years on their restore, just do what you can when you can!

I need to find me a wife with bonus checks! hehe thanks for the words of encouragement and helping me (and others) know how effective we can be on a budget.

Keep up the good work!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Built majority of my cradle today, I built it setting on top of the flipped hull, with my 3 keels leveled, both directions. The base of cradle was leveled, not measured from the hull, so by all rights, and i say that with a hopeful mind....it should set perfect for rebuilding.

For rollers, and you can see one in the pic (haven't attached yet) I used shopping cart rollers my neighbor had a pile of from his store owner days. Used a 2x4 block with a hole drilled for bolt, then counter sunk other side so i could fit the nut and washer on it. should work...again...should.

Carpet I used was this god awful area rug I have been begging my wife to get rid of forever....guess what! Its gone now lol...of course I may just be rolled up in what remains of it and dropped in the swamp.

heres some pictures..my driveway is not level so don't look at that as being unlevel. well technically the top isnt level anyways its however the boat goes. Also plan to add supports on the outer edge once boats in place, thats why i left bottoms sticking out so far, and will build a separate bough support stand as well once its flipped

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

duhmey

Seaman

Neat. If this works for ya I may need to build one myself for when I work on the trailer...it is too big for the boat and in need of new wiring ect.

Keep up the good work

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Leaving original message so things stay true to posts..but these casters were EPIC FAIL, see page 8 ( http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=511063&p=3503595&viewfull=1#post3503595 ) for my updated method which seems to be holding up well

So here is how i built my home-made casters using shopping cart wheels and 2x4 blocks. cost me around 5 dollars total to make 6..much better than 25 dollars a piece for real casters on a light boat like mine it should be plenty strong.

I used a 1" and a 1/2" spade bit. The 1" was taped to the depth I needed

IMG_3072.jpg

Drilled my 1" hole first

IMG_3066.jpg

then my 1/2" hole the rest of the way centered on 1" (note this picture isnt centered, i took the pics after i was done and this was one i discarded)

IMG_3067.jpg

Then I placed my shopping cart wheel thru, put a lock washer and nut on and tightened

IMG_3065.jpg

the end result is a caster i hope has the strength to hold my light bass boat...bigger boats i would go with real casters!

IMG_3069.jpg

Last edited:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

This is my cradle with casters on. I went with 6 instead of 4 since they were shopping cart wheels and honestly not sure what weight they are rated for. It rolled really nice, so i think it will work out well.

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats quite the rig you have there. If its tippy you still have room to move some of the casters further outboard. Here is what I made using wheel burro wheels that works good off the pavement.

Attachments

• DSCF2702.jpg
    DSCF2702.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2712.jpg
    DSCF2712.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2716.jpg
    DSCF2716.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah, it still has a few more support arms to go on, this is what I am using to keep hull from flexing during the rebuild, while i am in it working i will put blocks under it to keep it from moving and tipping, but still have the ability to roll it outside for more air/sun. I really like yours as well interesting idea. Put the cradle back on top of boat to fit test it, and show ya how i made it to conform to the points.

the rear actually has each dip and cut supported

IMG_3076.jpg

the center one i felt that a little gap would not hurt, plus wanted to use the cross braces to support the legs

IMG_3077.jpg

forward one i plan to add some supports under the V, after pu8tting it back on there I felt it could use a little more structure

IMG_3078.jpg

It only supports about 70% of the boat, for the bough i plan to have a separate one formed to support the 3 keels

IMG_3079.jpg

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me be one more person to throw a "Looking Good" your way. The paint came out looking really clean and as good as I'd want my own results.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

thanks Hydra, but that's just the primer! Still got some color to do. Anyhow as I am sure your tired of seeing cradle pictures, I am tired of building it! Got my last 2 bunks on, if the boat can move in this cradle then I did something seriously wrong. I think ill probably cry when i tear it apart after I am done with it, because I am pretty proud of it. there's just no room for it once its been used. so heres the final 3 pictures. really they are!

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That looks plenty beefy to me. Good support for the hull and stable......Good lookin primer job too!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Bought my paint today, but could not find any hardener. Went to Lowes, Home Depot, and Sherwin Williams, none of them had any, or knew what i was talking about. They said if i bought epoxy paint that hardener comes with it, but they didn't know of any hardener to add to a 1 step paint like the Rust-Oleum topside paint. Will the paint hold up without hardener? Also do I use Acetone to thin it? Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You got a Tractor Supply? They have it.