1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

Your paint looks great so far. Looking forward to seeing the green paint go on.
Keep up your good work.

Kent

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Busy busy day, I decided I wanted to do a 1/4" green pinstripe in the beige area, so I had to get some 1/4 wide tape....ok where the hell do i find it, none at auto parts store, none at paint stores, wal-mart..nope. sitting there complaining about it to the old man across the street he says did you try the body shop supply store just down the road? WTF! how could I have missed this place 3 miles from my house?? I did find the tape I wanted, and A supplier for all my fiberglass needs! 3 miles from my house! I must be dense to never have noticed this place before.

first my desperate attempt at making my own...epic fail...cutting a straight line in roll of tape is tough even with a jig
IMG_3192.jpg

Heres what I found, $3.87 a roll, 36 yards on a roll so needed 2
IMG_3191.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So ive taped it off, This is my plan, green. 1/4" tan, 1/4" green, Tan...so it gives a little transition between the 2. and here's how i taped it off. And yes the blue tape line and the gap i left for the green stripe are really the same size ive measured it and its an optical illusion that the tan looks bigger.

Edit: After painting, the tan line looks bigger!...mind you the tan line in the paint used to be the blue line! funny how those optical illusions work!

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Judge, You da man!!!!:D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thank Jitterbug, but lets hold that compliment until the paint is done!...tape looks good, but whether or not it works like I want is yet to be seen....I may have been better off buying pin striping but thought this would work. I did go through and sand the lil line that will take the green paint after I taped, lets hope it sticks!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

keep trying to update my thread title to let people know what stage I am on, it allows me to edit and save title on first post, but never shows up as my forum title.....dunno why

bartborchardt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Judge,

I've done a lot of painting in my house and I learned something about painter's tape. To get a nice clean line it is best to run something along the edge of the tape. This helps heat up the glue under the tape therefore creating a clean transition line between paints. You can use a wallpaper seam roller like this one:

images

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So woke up this morning, after spending the entire night not sleeping well, excited to put some paint on the boat....went on the porch to drink a morning coffee and this is what greeted me!

IMG_3194.jpg

in a vain attempt to save some hope i checked to see if front yard was raining too....darn big storm it was raining there too!

IMG_3195.jpg

My carport is covered and doesnt get wet but afraid humidity would be a big problem so gonna hafta put it off....which isnt good because I need to get the tape off today (not supposed to leave it on over 24 hours?) so looks like Ill be retaping again, which was not easy with the layout I did

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think you can leave the green tape on longer than that. And with the thinness of the blue tape, you may be alright there as well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Leave the 1/4" but remove the Big areas.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Sadly, the blue tape was the easy tape...i had a clean line to follow with it and it 1/4" wide already....getting the green tape spaced at 1/4" and keeping the line straight with the blue was the hard part, plus having to cut the curves on green, where thin blue would bend around it. Kinda bummed about that prospect! So why do they recommend removing tape within 24 hours? is it the adhesive getting to hard to remove?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check your PM box

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So, it did not work quite like I had hoped, but worked out OK, I just have a lot of small touch ups to do. Ill just use an artists brush, and cut in the touch ups nice.

so without further ado, here's my mess!

overall looks good (flipped picture so I could see how it looked right side up)
IMG_3215.jpg

this sides lines came out cleaner than other sides...dont know why
IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

got tired and kept going right on past the tape like it wasn't there on this part for some reason
IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

going to give it 2 weeks to fully cure, then ill do a final sanding (runs etc) and polish it up before flipping it over

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Overall it looks pretty good, nice touch on the green, My wife says the mistakes gives it character. she should know she is one. LOL :p

nice work

Bob

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

looks pro

:D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Overall it looks pretty good, nice touch on the green, My wife says the mistakes gives it character. she should know she is one. LOL :p

nice work

Bob

Lol Bob I told my wife same thing...I said it will never look professionally done, even after i touch up my mistakes, but thats what proves I did it myself and didnt pay for it!

Judge, the design turned out great. Nice job.

thanks, I am happy with the "pinstripe" it allowed the 2 colors to tie together without just a solid line. I appreciate the compliment, Makes me feel good to hear it

looks pro

:D

Far from it! but I think it looks pretty good, will hopefully turn some heads when its out of the water anyways lol

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Sun is shining so moved it out of the dull, dim, small carport to let her breathe....the shadow did not do her jsutice so heres a few sunshine pics

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Tried to cut in a few of the bleed overs in the pinstriping and I dont know how they do it free hand, because as soon as i got within an 1/8" of touching brush to paint my hand started shaking so bad there is no way i can do that fine detail lol...I guess i can wat a few days and tape it off and do the touch ups. Anyhow its time to let it sit and cure so trailer is my next target. I have enough paint left over to do it as well, now my question is since my boat is mostly tan with green trim...should I do the trailer mostly green with tan trim? opinions welcome