1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Need some advice

I plan to continue to post her as well, but need some other options to finding answers quicker, thanks for the bass boat central tip. found it. I just dont want to make a dire mistake so ask questions, and I devote alot of time to the project, so sometimes I hope for a quick answer so I can keep moving forward. I will definitely continue to update this thread so others can see my mistakes and learn from them if they can

JDA1975

Lieutenant

trying to come up with a basic idea of a frame to put boat on once i flip it and this is the concept i came up with...yes the boards will be trimmed to proper lengths and fitted better they are just laying there for now. this frame should hold everything in place when i go to deck it...what ya think?

IMG_2982.jpg

Last edited:

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

looks stable to me.. I would put a brace starboard - port (like just a long 2x4) and screw it into the hull on each side... or you can use ratchet straps too..

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah, once i actually cut those pieces and stand it ill add something to make sure sides don't move....Also I am glutton for punishment, picked up a free Hull, the guy bought the trailer for 250 and person who sold it wouldn't let him have without the boat. I saw some parts on it I wanted to salvage...mainly a perfectly good windshield and rails. this hull is not my model but the dimensions are close enough i can make those bars and windshield work. May consider keeping as a my next resto project, its more of a family boat, bow-rider, so i figured I could swap my outboard from one to the other, depending on my mood lol

JDA1975

Lieutenant

so here is the hull I am gonna strip parts off, Windows, railings, bimini slider, all in good shape. The hull is in good shape as well, the splotches are algae growth and wiped clean with just my finger, not sure what I am going to do with the hull once i take what i want, like him, I am taking the whole for part, he wanted the trailer so had to take boat too, i want windshield etc, so have to take whole boat, might drop it off at a salvage yard or save for a future resto

0922111837a.jpg

0922111837.jpg

0922111838.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a good find. I have a soft spot for those old tri hulls... I'm not too sure I'd restore that one at any point... you can chop it up or pass it on... my old tri hull project, I had to abandon :(

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah kinda my thoughts too...I'm going to put up on blocks in my neighbors back yard (so the HoA cant get me for having 2 project boats in my yard. He said if i decide not to do anything with it he might, think I resparked his boat interest too, he has an old boat that a tree limb fell on and cracked hull...I am going to go look at it and share what Ive learned here and see if we would be better off fixing his or transferring all his stuff to a new hull. I am happy to find the windshield and stuff....its just the perfect size, so saved myself a few hundred bucks. and the railing, I dont know how much that costs but its more money saved

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very nice windshield. I'd cut up and scrap the boat it's on though cuz.......well it doesn't have a windshield! :p

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

got some prep sanding done and filler on one side, will finish filling other side tomorrow then sand again and prime, fun stuff. At least the dust from this is not as messy as the grinding. planning to prime, and paint during next week, then flip her to rebuild the stringers and deck. Wife actually showed some interest finally think she sees I am making some progress now. She didnt even get upset when i told her i was bringing home another hull for the windshield and stuff

built the keel back up some, will also add fiberglass inside since it was weakened by beaching
IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

looking good there judge... what kind of paint will you be using?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

gonna go with the rustoleum everyone talks about i think. Seems to give the best results for the non-professional. Afraid to spend that much on perfection and screw it up

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought but the exterior lip on the brass drain plug tube on my boat is thin enough that it would not be a problem that close to a thru-hull fitting. I mean it's not optimal placement but it would workout.

Attachments

• IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1

JDA1975

Lieutenant

thank you hydra, I ended up deciding on filling 1 of the livewell holes and using a Flow-rite valve so 1 can use 1 hole for fill and drain

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Got some work done today, but not as much as I had planned. That filler I used is very hard to sand down gums up the paper pretty quickly. I am very happy with how the keel reforming went, and the part I did get sanded down is smooth as a baby's butt. heres a few pics.

keel has a point again!
IMG_2988.jpg

This one too
IMG_2992.jpg

got this part sanded down about half way back
IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I haven't quit on it, still busy sanding..taking longer than I thought but I figure take my time and do it right. will post some pics when sanding is done, before priming it. Don't think you all wanna see anymore sanding pictures. The filler I used, while extremely strong when it cured, is a pain to sand down, and gums my paper up pretty fast, I dont recommend using it. It was what the guy at autoparts store told me to use for fiberglass, I'm sure there's something better. Was Bondo Fiberglass Resin Jelly mixed with a hardener, pretty thick paste and very hard when cured, hammered on a lil pile of it that hardened before i finished using it and couldn't break it(darn friends show up and start talking at the damnedest times.

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm remembering that I have read in this forum that some types of Bondo are great for cars but not so good for boats. I seem to remember hearing some Bondo(s) absorb water over time. If your curious and not a 100% sure the auto-parts store guy was an authority on what to use on boat-bottom rebuilds, maybe take a pic of the Bondo you used and see what more knowledgeable folks say about it.

dynatrak176ss

Recruit

Love your project, wish there where more old bassers on here, on your filler, try a sure-form "looks like a cheese grater" tool on it, gets the outside skin off before you start sanding, won`t plug up as much paper. Looks great, keep it up.

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi JDA, just came across your thread. Looks like your way ahead of me,but I know what you mean about that bondo resin from parts house. That's what I did on the keel of my boat and a few other dings. Someone told me once that when it starts winding down summer people arn't on here as much, so we have to be patient when waiting on replies. Looks like your doing a great job keep it up!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

the one i got was a fiberglass resin jelly filler
bon-430.jpg

says its waterproof, paintable, sandable in 30 minutes, and bonds to fiberglass strongly. Pretty sure it is a sound choice, just not sure it was the easiest choice. I will look into that shaper..been using a file for my keel/edges to get nice straight lines before finish sanding but on the open field, file doesn't work. Yeah i know i need to be more patient, im just obsessed and want to keep moving so I dont lose interest! thanks for the ideas and ill keep things updated

crazy and lazy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you heard of the term peanut butter? It's the same thing as what we used. friscoboater has an excellent video on you tube on how to make it Not quit as pricey.