1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

R U gunna Paint it Green and Tan and Make an Upholstered Seat for it????:D

Did plan on doing green, and using some vinyl for the seats, but hmmm dunno now might do a two-tone paint

I think that derby car needs a nice Auburn Boat-tail speedster grill & tapered trunk :

View attachment 132007View attachment 132008 Green & tan w/ matching custom upholstery! Grn W Nvy custom license plate..........

Car looks good Judge!

And to think I ask you guys to curb my appetite to overdo things and then you go and try to make me complicate it even more!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did plan on doing green, and using some vinyl for the seats, but hmmm dunno now might do a two-tone paint

And to think I ask you guys to curb my appetite to overdo things and then you go and try to make me complicate it even more!

The slippery boat tail won't give you an unfair advantage will it? :cool: As long as it doesn't cause un-due attention from the judges..... Hate to have you get a red flag on race day.....:eek:

Have a good week Judge, hope the machine comes back humming a perfect tune!

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

"I've done so much with so little for so long, I can pretty much doing anything with nothing!" Consider the lack of funds a challenge! This sums my life up fairly well.:facepalm:
JDA I hope you are feeling better.:D
Your friend
Dave:D

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Ahh pinewood derby...now that brings back memories :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Slant Singer 500-503's info & tips

Hope the machine is greased lightening! Have a great week!

John

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Got my sewing machine back, definitely a better repair man, he said the machine was in fantastic shape, did need grease and oiling and a little timing adjustment, the carbon brushes in motor were good, he charged the 40 bucks he quoted me and I gave him a 10 buck tip to reward his honest no nonsense way of doing business...the other guy would have cost me a ton more so I came out ahead and people remember that kind of stuff later when ya need their services again.

Still working on Derby car....its getting closer to paint...Carved in the passenger area, with bench seat and all

IMG_4030.jpg

I sanded the front wheels to make them slimmer, give it the hot rod look of slicks on the back....wish the tires on back were a little wider but have to use official BSA wheels (nothing says they cant be skinny BSA wheels)

IMG_4028.jpg

So tomorrow I will give the machine a whirl, and we will see if it makes a lot of difference or not! any way ya look at it, its an insurance policy for my machine, and the guy guarantees his work.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

What ya gonna put in it? 350 with dual quads? 454 with a Blower? 572 Blown and Alcohol/ Methanol Injected...

Of course I'm talkin about the sewing machine...:rolleyes:

Good Luck on making a great showing at the derby...make us Iboaters proud...

jbcurt00

Staff member

That rig needs a sponsor:
iboats_boating_logo.jpg:D

If I remember correctly, there's a fairly sharp drop out of the starting gate.
Ya might make sure the front end isn't to light....... I don't think they'll let you run wheelie bars:eek:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

The following post is a lesson in what NOT to do! I did not originally plan on adding zippers to my seat cushions, but thought it would be a good idea...which it is..if properly planned for from the start! anyways here a few shots of an epic fail zipper...do they work? yes.....does it look good? hell no!....will it end up failing sooner than later? most likely....Am I keeping it? yes, I have no choice right now I am short on materials so cant afford to redo the whole cushion. Hopefully someone else can learn from this!..I know I have.

finding a straight line when working on a curved peice with nothing to back it, is just a dumb move

IMG_4032.jpg

wraps around side so I have enough opening to stuff cushion

IMG_4034.jpg

it doesn't pull it tight enough, but again I am stuck with it....I wish I had planned better, I would have installed zipper in the boxing BEFORE attaching it to the rest....not after it was already 90% closed then cutting an opening

IMG_4033.jpg

On a positive note, my machine seems to run smoother, so was worth the 50 bucks to have it serviced

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey, once your out running around on the water, the cushions will be in use & nobody but you will know...... I'd say they look a heck of a lot better then sitting on straight, bare gel coat & glass!:D

Just keep on learning as we go......

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey Judge, You could tear it all apart like I did with my rear seat and give it another go. I think you could do it. That's what dem seam rippers iz fer.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Yeah, I guess I could, but that would require taking it 100% apart and starting again from scratch, plus the cuts I made for the zipper probably wouldn't line up right and I really don't have enough material to go again...the next one I actually planned for a zipper...so should turn out better

on this picture you can see what I had to do to close it, I had no straight edges, because this one I made to pull tight and staple, can see where the tan was joined in comparison to the green

IMG_4036.jpg

This was the second one I made, by this time I had learned and planned for zipper, the other cushion was my very first seams at all so as they say the more you do the better it gets. This one will be easy to close in with the zipper, I just wanted to share the failed attempts in order for others to see what I have learned not to do!

IMG_4037.jpg

It is all good, I will live with it since it is my own boat, but it won't happen again, I can assure you!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

the one that was better planned for zipper did go better, but what I have learned is to create the rear panel with zipper attached, add some overlay to hide zippers then attach the entire panel to the cushion and it will come out way better than this did

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

thanks wood, it will definitely be like that on future jobs, that was kinda what I was trying to explain about doing zipper in a panel first then attaching panel...this was poorly planned and just had no other choice but to work with what I had....my plans have changed since the wife decided she wanted a car...in fact I am so bummed because the tax return was what I was counting on to finish this job that I am almost ready to list a half finished project boat for a couple hundred bucks and cut my losses now. to be honest I just don't have the drive now to "do it right"

jbcurt00

Staff member

Those both look pretty good to me..Fam-dam-tab-ulous!

A man & his machine becoming 1 right here before our eyes!

jbcurt00

Staff member

in fact I am so bummed because the tax return was what I was counting on to finish this job that I am almost ready to list a half finished project boat for a couple hundred bucks and cut my losses now. to be honest I just don't have the drive now to "do it right"

Nah, ye shalt not!

Take a break & spend some time on something else. Recharge the family battery.....

Then look back over the early pix, and compare them to where it is now. Read through some of the kick ***** comments from guys who've done it before, and those that are still working on a project. Look at what you've accomplished on the hull bottom paint & the trailer re-work. None of it was easy, you didn't 'know' how to do any of that stuff... Look how incredibly it turned out.

The vinyl will work for now right? Make a plan to redo some of it in Nov-Feb next winter.

I too have been forced into holding on progress. All this GREAT work weather & I'm unable to work on it & am laid up most nights. Taking half days off regularly & leaving early the rest, certainly isn't funding the rebuild either. This morning I stared out at the boat & just about got nauseous at the lack of progress.

It & we can wait. There are projects that are years in the making, ask WOG.

Don't ring the bell or slap the mat, and we won't count you out! You got my #, holler at me anytime! It will be a nice change up from the Warden telling at me......:eek:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

it's not the work, it's the money...I was naive to think we could afford this on our income...disability is a joke, and with another car payment now we wont have "disposable" income, just being realistic and to see it just sitting is worse then selling it and letting someone else finish it...I am still thinking on it, but if the price is right I will let it go...just don't see it happening anymore...it is all good though, I will probably continue to sew, that's cheap and fun

jbcurt00

Staff member

We can all understand that. If sewing is something you enjoy, maybe try other less costly ways then boat cushions to make some dough sewing.

Offer to let you holler at me stands, boat or no boat:D

For once, I seem to be done for the night like a regular person, lights out:cool:

You got my email too, just don't type in all caps & bold whilst hollering, its hard to read:eek:

Hey Judge, I know how you feel. Around the time I started tearing my boat down, I got laid off from work. I thought very seriously about just trashing the hull and taking the trim and motor/ stuff off for scrap. I know how you feel thinking it was all an expensive mistake to even bother starting, but look back at all the obstacles you have overcome on your way to this point. If you decide this resto is not feasible, then I, and it looks like most of the people that have been following this thread, will stand with ya on your decision. I hope that you are able to continue with what is, and will be, an amazing job on fixing this old boat up. If nothing else has been accomplished, you my friend have inspired me to try and learn new things and try to do more than a "bang-up" job on my resto. Let it be known that you have influenced at least me to try harder and to overcome the challenges. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to let you know how I feel. No matter what, thanks for everything up 'til now.