1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Holy crap, JDA. The Backs are NICE. Great design.

Thanks Jitterbug, I appreciate the compliments!

Jda...just catching up on the thread... The seats look great... You, wog, baja, oops, mrdjlores and others have started a new dry dock trend.., dudes sewing and kicking butt at it...

I'm still a little fearful... I'm all thumbs and I'm also scared I wold get tasked with honey dos... You guys need to start working on your excuses...("I'm sorry, hon, this machine only sews marine vinyl.")

Great work...Keep it up..

Glad ya got a chance to read through my thread, sewing is not as hard as I thought it would be, learning the machine is the key, then just let it do the work. The method I am using is more complicated, Boxing the base is easier, but I just like the look and am crazy enough to attempt it. I did not want piping running perpendicular to my legs. As far as being all thumbs goes, thats perfect because its mostly thumbs you use to feed the machine! You should try it, I am sure you could do it.

This is why I want a Mercury sewing machine:)

Hope all the new attachments make the new machine all that much better, headed to Pittsburgh to look at the Slant-o-matic Sat. I'm headed that way anyway & I'd really hate to have the inherited Kenmore 158.17033 go sideways stitching boat seats. If the Slant isn't worth the $50, it's Ramona all the way baby!

Looking forward to seeing the new rig stitching some seats.

Slant-O-matics are worth 50 bucks, if its the right model, according to my research the 400 and 500 series are the best, which model was it you were going to look at, some of the 400 are straight stitch only (which would work if you don't plan to do any decorative stitching). I took my machine to get it serviced yesterday and the sewing guy was enamored with my toy, he had a 400 on display priced at 300 bucks and said if I had all my attachments he could see selling mine for 500 easy.

Hey JDA, they look uber awesome. You know, my boat is green and white. Maybe you sell them to me and make you another set in your spare time…..:D
Congratulations on making Ensign. You just left us enlisted guys in the dust (wake???).:D
Dave:D

Lol Dave, problem is that this one is already custom made for my boat, I think it would look weird on yours! You do have good taste in colors though! Making ensign means that I made more useless posts than you have! I'd best if you add up my contributive psts I am still a Cadet!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Think I finally got the pocket worked out...the 2 pockets in the console hold a portion of the rear cushion in order to give it a more "seamless" look, now creating the male portion of the pocket on the back cushion has been a ponderance for a while, and I think I finally got it...this will allow me to pull everything tight now...which I plan to do sometime tonight or tomorrow

IMG_4013.jpg

Sidenote: Avoid creating pockets if possible this was truely a pain, but I was already committed!

bear_69cuda

Commander

JDA,

Hey man... Great job on the seatback/console... Looks very professional!

Color combo is awesome!

jbcurt00

Staff member

The seller couldn't tell me which model of Slant-o-matic????? Never good, but hoping it's not too bad since she doesn't 'believe' in cell phones..??? Maybe she doesn't know what her aunt had. My wife & her mom both looked at me with the 'Is ya stoopid or somethin'' look when I asked about the sewing machine they inherited. We'll see.... I may be wrong but, I'm not sure the slant-o-matic ever came w/ a low amp motor or in a console table setup after they started making them 'cheap'. This one comes w/ the sewing table/console, so....

Anyway, I bought a $9 electric knife last weekend, I better find a free couch soon, or the wife will be shopping for a new 1, cause there won't be any cushions on ours....:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Think I finally got the pocket worked out...

Sidenote: Avoid creating pockets if possible this was truely a pain, but I was already committed!

It looks great, BTW. Not sure I see how it fits w/ center console, but this looks great!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

JBC, I will send you a PM with my phone number, when ya go look, or anytime, if i can help ya call

after adding a layer of 1" foam for smoothness/tightness I wrapped the cushions with plastic, I used 2mil drop cloths for this glued on with Super 77

IMG_4016.jpg

Then proceeded to stuff the cushions in

IMG_4013.jpg

then tightened it all up, and put it on

IMG_4019.jpg

the 2 tabs insert into pockets behind the armrest of the center console, I will need to add a little foam to back side of armrest to tighten this up just a little

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Rock on dude! If I hadn't watched, I'd argue if you told me this was a rookie effort. Thanks for the phone offer, I'll probably use it once I get an interior layout of any kind, because I can't mock it up very well until the floor is down to give me seat height so I can guess-ta-mate the back height. But I spent some time getting some seat style thoughts & pix together yesterday.

WOG just hit me w/ a better closer deal on a ROCKET for sure, and I may have scored a motor there too. An hour 15 +/- west. So....Need to be sick Thurs or Fri :eek: so I can see the motor during the day. May delay the pending Raven deal.... The Mrs will not mind that at all!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Judge, Ya dun rite gud!!!! Ifn I dint knoed betr id a thunk yew was frum okiehomeuhh. Kin yew sew me sum knew blue jeens?? myn iz a gittn wored owt.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Judge, Ya dun rite gud!!!! Ifn I dint knoed betr id a thunk yew was frum okiehomeuhh. Kin yew sew me sum knew blue jeens?? myn iz a gittn wored owt.

What the he((, WOG were you in front of me today at the gas station? I heard ya whilst I was there.....

JDA1975

Lieutenant

at least you spelled blue right, there might be some hope for you okies after all!

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer
Wow Judge, you are lookin pro! I'm with JBC can I just send you my requirements and have you sew my new seats? The green and white will go with the color scheme were thinking about. Keep it up.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Wow Judge, you are lookin pro! I'm with JBC can I just send you my requirements and have you sew my new seats? The green and white will go with the color scheme were thinking about. Keep it up.

Thanks Craig, it is actually green and tan, as close to the boat colors as I could get anyways! Appreciate the vote of confidence, and sure I will do your seats but I aint cheap!

IMG_3898.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sure I will do your seats but I aint cheap!

"Ain't cheap" <<-- That sounds like everything my wife picks to buy for the house:facepalm:

Heck for the right price, I'd take the TAN & Green vinyl and change my red & off-white (cream if I can find a non-yellow looking cream for the hull) to green & tan.

It is worth a whoop whoop so I'm posting it here to:
Mercurysewingmachine.jpg

Found 1 for sale, shipping = purchase or it'd be bought:D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I was looking at an industrial machine for a hell of a deal, like 200 bucks,,,then I got a shipping quote over 500 and said ohh hell no!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Heck, this is <$130 delivered, I just can't find enough info about it to make it my upholstery machine. And I can't justify buying it & putting it on a shelf. But we'll see how the rest of the week goes, other boat stuff will probably win out over a Merc sewing machine. Of course, if I can score a teal early 60's Merc motor, maybe I can make a whole Merc display in the living room, with lights & a mirrored back drop, we never go in there anyway.

That's why I was so upset when the Mrs shot down converting it into my poly room during the resto:eek:.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

JDA,

Those turned out awesome! What I'd say earlier...

... The last pieces you do will look better than the first..I promise!

I found the learning curve on sewing was pretty steep, meaning, one learns very fast on what not to do, which only leaves the right way to do things...a Negative Feedback System! I like that you used more robust plastic than what typically comes in Boats (WOG's napkin packaging plastic and my dry cleaner bags around my original helms seats!) I an now wishing I made mine a little fancier looking, with more "flair"! Oh, and those are some nice accessories, who would have thunk it?

To all reading/following this...let's keep the sewing comments on the DL...if word gets out that we can sew (on a machine, no less!) then we are destined to spend any extra free time sewing stuff around the house. I have already been guilted into sewed some curtains for the wife...I know, I know...I'll leave my man card at the door...

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I decided that I have one complaint with my new machine....The stitching is so good and tight that when I have to use the seam ripper to remove and redo a section, it is hard to get it spread enough to insert my ripper!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Tip: Pull a couple of seams from the Outside and then it will pop open a lot easier.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Sewing is put on hold for a short while, figured I would protect my investment and have a full service/timing done on it, plus I haven't been feel quite right the last couple days so this is forcing me to take a break lol