1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

I love that color green...it is making for some nice work!!

It is amazing how much you have learned in such a short time :)

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I actually went an entire day without doing anything significant, I laid out my lounge seats, mainly to check my materials...I will have only like a 12X12 piece of tan vinyl left over...so need to order another yard to do some accents on panels/lids/arm rests etc with. Waiting very impatiently for my sewing machine accessories to arrive...can not do much sewing without a zipper foot. They were shipped this morning so will probably be Monday before I get them...bummer!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Great Work JD.
Can't wait to see it finished.
Bob

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey JD ....... every time that I jump onto your thread I am more and more impressed. That is some great work your doing ..... nice job!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Just an observation, Plan ahead when doing this! I was preparing to staple my vinyl and realized that I better put some Tee Nuts in before I do that, so ran to the local hardware store, and bought some...at Hardware store they cost almost 2 bucks a piece, could have gotten them online for 30 cents a piece if I had planned ahead and did not need them right now

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Wrapping the lid, and box, and keeping it looking tight is a serious pain, and if I had to do it over again, I would probably seek another route to do it, but this was the best I could come up with, I may redo it, I am not totally stoked about it at all

just the box, by itself

IMG_3982.jpg

Box with back cushion installed, I know it is loose but shows the parts that will be hidden on the box

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

so that's what i worked on today, If you have any ideas on what to do to make it look better I am all ears

jbcurt00

Staff member

....so that's what i worked on today, If you have any ideas on what to do to make it look better I am all ears

Just a suggestion but change the green to:
red vinyl.jpg and Sell 'em to me! They'd look better in mine!:D:eek::facepalm::cool: Ok, maybe not better, just different......

Looks great to me dude! Try a light touch w/ a heat gun, really strong hair drier may be enough (???) it may tighten up some of those areas you think are too loose...... I think andgott was the 1 to suggest it. But it may have been WOG.

You & WOG need to team up & do a upholstery thread!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhhhmmm, I'm tryin to figure out just exactly WHERE you are unhappy with the out come. Like I said before "Tight is Right" but they look pretty good to me. Do you have Battin on em and Plastic? If not put a 1" layer of batting on and "Plasticize" em and that should make you strech em a bit more a possibly take out the wrinkles. Heck I got some too, but I'm gunna live with em. If it was for a customer, no way, but for my Big Butt they are just fine.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Haven't put the batten or plastic on the back yet, I am pretty sure it will end up pulling pretty tight once I do. I was saying I wasn't totally stoked with the way the lid/box look, I have 2 loose 45 degree angles in the underside of lid..I was thinking about maybe gluing those down so even though they have that visible cut line, they at least wouldn't end up opening up on me...still thinking..I cant put a staple hide or it will hold my lid up off the base. I may be a little too critical, as usual, but would like to find a way to make it look good, who knows when i will encounter this again if I decide to try and earn a little extra income with it.

Decker83

Commander

JD
I can see the area you are talking about and in the pics it looks good.
Maybe the pics or hiding something that I can't see.
I know one thing, you will work it out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Oh, Ok here's what I'd do. Get some tag board and some 3M spray adhesive. Cover the tagboard with vinyl and wrap the edges. Then glue it to the back of the lid as a cover. Voila' no 45? cuts showing.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Took care of part of my disliked area...I cut a piece out just bigger then the bottom of box, rolled and hemmed the edges, then glued it to the bottom...looks better than staple hide around the edges

IMG_3992.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

There ya go. Similar to what I was suggesting. Looks Great!!

Wow, Judge... Looking great. Gotta echo some others here, you do some awesome work. Keep it up, man :)

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks GP, and everyone else too, I don't think I will be putting any skeeter markings back on this boat, it is going to be so custom now, I don't think it will resemble a skeeter anymore lol. Haven't been able to do any work lately since I got a new sewing machine, but did not have all the required presser feet and such (should be delivered today, I hope), I should have held off on selling my old one so I could continue to work, since I fixed it, but couldn't pass on selling it and basically getting this one free!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

YAY...my stuff is here...I have almost no idea what to do with 90% of these presser feet, but figured if I had the machine I should have all the accessories (makes it worth alot more to sell later!) and needed a few of the feet that came with it. So now I can finally get back to work on sewing some stuff

IMG_3993.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Jda...just catching up on the thread... The seats look great... You, wog, baja, oops, mrdjlores and others have started a new dry dock trend.., dudes sewing and kicking butt at it...

I'm still a little fearful... I'm all thumbs and I'm also scared I wold get tasked with honey dos... You guys need to start working on your excuses...("I'm sorry, hon, this machine only sews marine vinyl.")

Great work...Keep it up..

jbcurt00

Staff member

You guys need to start working on your excuses...("I'm sorry, hon, this machine only sews marine vinyl.")

This is why I want a Mercury sewing machine:)

Hope all the new attachments make the new machine all that much better, headed to Pittsburgh to look at the Slant-o-matic Sat. I'm headed that way anyway & I'd really hate to have the inherited Kenmore 158.17033 go sideways stitching boat seats. If the Slant isn't worth the $50, it's Ramona all the way baby!

Looking forward to seeing the new rig stitching some seats.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey JDA, they look uber awesome. You know, my boat is green and white. Maybe you sell them to me and make you another set in your spare time?..:D
Congratulations on making Ensign. You just left us enlisted guys in the dust (wake???).:D
Dave:D