1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

I didnt see your link til after I fixed it...But I just basically man handled the shuttle until it was back in the position it should have been and not only is working, but its working better than before lol! I figured hell its broke, so may as well try if i break more no biggy

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Since I somehow fixed the machine it allowed me to do a little more work this evening...I ran out of piping, so have to make more tomorrow then I can finish sewing the back....right hand seat is not sewn, just to show the look

Bear in mind, it is a work in progress and nothing is fastened/pulled tight yet, it wont look this loose

IMG_3955.jpg

With the back running full length like a bench seat, I think the console will be able to be used as an extra middle seat for a kid (at a slow cruising speed so he dont bounce off)

IMG_3956.jpg

Decker83

Commander

Judge
Your work is awesome. The color scheme is great. You certainly have a very creative mind and the skills to be able to use it.
Looking forward to seeing it all come together.
This is a great thread.
Kent

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks Decker, I am loving this, might even consider doing it for some side income after I learn it more...just seems natural to me, being my first time ever sewing anything like this, I have had surprisingly few mistakes...I have always excelled at spatial awareness, that might help some lol. I am glad you and other enjoy my thread, makes me feel good to give something back to this community, without you all I wouldn't be doing this!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Picked this up for 20 bucks in an auction...its an older machine, 1960s, but according to my google searches, was the top of the line machine for that era, its a Singer Slant-O-Matic 500A, all metal, with a ton of sewing options

sewingmachine.jpg

Gotta go pick it up tomorrow, it is only 20 miles away!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My mom had one just like that.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

did it work well with heavy materials? cant wait to try it out lol

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Fitting of back rest, again still loose,the center consoles cushion is about 1.5" thinner than the others...to allow for the lid to open without problems

IMG_3957.jpg

this will look straighter when its tightened...I tacked the middle with a couple staples so it is tighter than the seat backs

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

They are a little softer than I would like, but darn comfortable nonetheless. If I had the funds I would purchase new cushions instead of using repurposed old couch cushions, I can always replace foam later down the road and use same slips.

I have a total cost of $175 bucks with vinyl, needles, thread, foam, zipper foot, and a new machine. Up to this point I have 2 full days of sewing into it as well...not bad for custom seats with a matching center console!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol wood, I like that we think the same, Already had those bookmarked, been doing a lot of reading and am excited to go get that tomorrow, looks like it will be a good machine for this type of work....we shall find out tomorrow. Anyway I shake a stick at it for 20 bucks was worth the risk sight unseen....the picture looked like it was good condition and lady assured me it works. All those links were great info thanks for looking out for me as usual!

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW! Judge! Don't know how you keep up the enthusiasm. i've been playin' catch-up and thats going to be ONE GOOD LOOKING ride when you're done. You make me want to build something - pretty much anything. Just wish I had the energy. The wx warmed up and I at least started working on mine again. Keep up the inspiration. P.S. I don't know what you're taking but if you'd PM me I'd like to get some of it!!! lol! Can't wait to see the splash-down.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol, I have the time...that's what it is...I have nothing else to do, so it keeps me sane. Take 2 hours and call me in the morning! This weird weather is extending my good time, but if it ever decides to become winter I will slow to a semi-coma pace lol

Decker83

Commander

Wood,
You never cease to amaze me with all the links and knowledge you have. It's great to have you here and shareing all this with us.

Sorry about the hi-jack Judge.
Looks like you scored big time on the machine.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I got the console tightened up, so since it would now fit properly in its hole, I did a final dry fit of the cushions before I commit, I will wrap them in plastic tomorrow and tighten the vinyl...the back rest has a little sewing left to do, but should finish it tomorrow as well, anyhow it was dark but I couldn't resist the urge to check it

The rare proof picture that it is me working on it!...I normally take the picture so am not in them

IMG_3961.jpg

few pics from different angles

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

Worn out! a nice place to rest up!

IMG_3962.jpg

My buddy Rex thought I could use some more foam, so he was gonna bring me some...I yelled at him from outside and he stayed like this til I got in the house lol

IMG_3969.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey...No Fair! I don't have a Sewing Dog!!! Now I know how you get so much done so quickly!!!:eek:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Quick is OK...but question is....does it meet with Ezmobee's high standards for DIY vinyl jobs? lol...read in one of the threads that he is critical of them!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Quick is OK...but question is....does it meet with Ezmobee's high standards for DIY vinyl jobs? lol...read in one of the threads that he is critical of them!

I'm withholding judgement until I see it all stretched and fitted. It certainly has the makings thus far of a quality job.

I won't tell you if it looks bad though :p so when you're done if I don't comment......... :eek:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol EZ, I can only hope you comment then!

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

Shoot, it's looking good to me! You better keep chugging away Judge, because I am less than a month away from making my large US Composites purchase and going full steam ahead! I WILL catch up!!!! ;)