1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

I got ya on the building seat box, but as I had planned for the armrests to set in the recesses I left for them, and 75% of the arm rest is setting on solid wood, so should be stable (I did test it and once vinyl is applied she aint moving) I went ahead and built it into console, heres a preview of things to come

IMG_3902.jpg

still needs a cotton layer to smooth it all in but basic idea

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Got this cutter, so that I did not end up with scissor jags on my lines

IMG_3908.jpg

Cut 24 feet of middles 15 inches wide (14 + 1/2 seam allowance on each side) and 36 feet of 2" strips for my piping, I made one pipe piece, then measured 1/2" for seam allowance, cut it down, then ripped the seam and measured how wide the piece was to come up with my strip width

IMG_3910.jpg

The lid is just loosely placed on here, wanted to see how it would look

IMG_3909.jpg

And here's my work area...I need more room!!!

IMG_3899.jpg

This is the layout I will use for my colors, its 4.5" tan 14" green the center 2 tans will follow console and armrest, and wrap tan all the way down the sides of armrests til they meet the seat

IMG_3911.jpg

Last edited:

bear_69cuda

Commander

speaking of the big picture..

couldn't settle for half ***, so took several pictures and a little fun with photoshop...and got an almost completed look...gives more depth to it then just the cap

FutureLook.jpg

Hi JDA!

Great progression my friend!

I love the concept above.... Seriously... super cool!

TGIF!

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer
Judge, between you and Wood's bench seat, I'm seeing a sewing machine in my future. I love the progress and the colors. I think you're spot on with the console idea. can't wait to see it all come together.

TGIF, my brother.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol Craig, it is fun and frustrating at the same time...you would love it! Adapting to the heavy thread, was a trick, I spent 4 hours and 6 bobbins worth trying to get my tensions set right...finally success! BTW woodonglass, that voicemail I left was to get ya to help with the tension, can disregard it now! So I definitely see a piping foot in my future tomorrow, I got antsy and tried to do it with the zipper foot, it came out ok, but piping foot would definitely be better!

Did one 12' section

IMG_3913.jpg

Used the rubber 3/16" screen spline

IMG_3914.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is your zipper foot adjustable? Mine is and I can set the needle to get really close to the cording. I staple the edges so they stay lined up and then use my fingers to make sure the cording stays pressed up against the foot. But... the piping foot is awesome. So much easier. I had a lot of Practice involved to find my tension settings too! Never did figure out a formula other than play with it till it works. I did find out that on the bobbin tension I set it so if you tried to Yo Yo it it would only drop about 1 1/2" That seemed to be the right tension for it. I also found a medium pressure on the presser foot worked best to feed it thru. But... When I went from 2 layers to 4 layers everything changed and then again when I had to sew over the Piping. I did discover that with my new heavy duty machine it is MUCH easier. Once I got the settings set, they work for as many layers as I can put through it. And I don't break needles or thread as much either. after you run 100 yards of thread thru it, you'll have it all figured out. Looking forward to the first cover being done.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah, it was definitely not the same as using cloth thread, I did run 7 layers through it and it worked just fine...surprised me since my machine is a wal-mart special...think I paid like 79 bucks for it...as long as it lasts through this job, I will be happy. Hoping tomorrow, after I run some errands (pick up my tank from welder, hes done!, go to the sewing store...gonna look at piping foot and might get a walking foot too, and swing by Harbor freight for an air stapler, you were right my electric is inadequate) I will get some sewing done on the wraps, I also need to pick up some epoxy to coat that wood with.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Could not find a piping foot large enough, nobody had 1/4" ones...said they dunno what everyone is doing but this time of year they buy em out...I said they are reupholstering their boats of course! So I went with what wood used as his second option and bought an adjustable zipper foot, works a lot better

IMG_3917.jpg

Went by the welder's and picked up my tank, now all my hoses are in the bilge area, and the only thing under the console is the sending unit, makes routing hoses A LOT easier

IMG_3916.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Great progress JD, I luv your finished photoshop boat, it looks almost as good as the real one is gonna...
and thanks for documenting the sewing, by the time you and wood are finished, you two will have empowered all of us here to sew our own interiors...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Adjust that foot so the outside of the needle is just even with the outside of the foot. You can then push the piping up against it and get a nice tight stitch against the edge. Works great for me.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

failed! lol gonna need to get better at sewing curves....cause I screwed this up big time, will be redoing this but thought I would give you an idea of how badly I did!
IMG_3920.JPGIMG_3918.JPGIMG_3919.JPG

Getting the end piece attached to the top....not an easy thing...going to need to practice a lot...I really like the finished look it gives, if it was done right

excuse the attachments, Photobucket aint working

jbcurt00

Staff member

failed! lol gonna need to get better at sewing curves...

The piping and all the green looks good. I've heard that smaller areas are harder, and curves are even tougher. Welcome to the deep end of the lake..... Luckily WOG will be around to throw you a rope:D.

If your close to a sewing shop, ya might try & find some cheap remnants to practice the curves & small pieces... Or using some of your own cut-off scraps...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you cut reliefs in the piping and the boxing to allow for the curve??

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah, I tried it again with more reliefs too, and just as bad....have come to the conclusion it is my craptastic machine...Just not enough machine to do this heavy material, and I spend more time clearing jams than I do sewing....very frustrated right now.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sorry to hear it didn't go better. I don't know anything about sewing, but that its tension tension tension & in many different places. Good luck.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

yeah, I tried it again with more reliefs too, and just as bad....have come to the conclusion it is my craptastic machine...Just not enough machine to do this heavy material, and I spend more time clearing jams than I do sewing....very frustrated right now.

I don't think that looks that bad! Corners and curves are tougher and from what I learned doing mine is the weight of the material will drag your sewing machine down. Try and keep all your vinyl supported evenly at the same plane (i.e. put a table behind and in front of the same height as the machine). When you hit the curves/corners, slow the machine way down (spin by hand if necessary?) to one stitch at a time...turn a few degrees and stitch...turn a few degrees and stitch...

As I said, I think it looks pretty good, but patience is the name of the game. The last pieces you do will look better than the first..I promise!

I Look forward to the results!

Brett

jbcurt00

Staff member

I agree w baja, they look way better then what I'd expect my 1st seat cushion to look like. By the light of day today, is there any chance that you've made the vinyl a touch too big (or don't have quite enough cushion) at the end. It looks like maybe its the lack of push back from the foam..... Ask WOG about how much heat is enough or too much to try shrink the vinyl wrinkles.......

Although you don't care much for the results of your effort, for a 1st marine upholstery job, not really that bad. Maybe avoid the curves for a bit & get some more time w/ your machine & the vinyl sewing piping & the straight bits......

You were much better at the end w/ the grinding, fabbing & paint then at the start....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

4 layers of vinyl is tough. Like I said Tension changes with every layer. My suggestion is to get some scrap and practice with different layers and tensions and take notes. That's why I did my fishing seats first. I can't tell you how many jams broken needles seam rip outs and start overs I had. My wife thought I was going to throw the machine thru my office window!:eek: But... after many hours of practice and note taking I finally discovered where the machine had to be set for each circumstance. and the Third seat cover went together in about 1/4 th the time as the previous two. Now with the heavy duty machine I'll admit it's just thread it up and go so it is so much easier but... you can do it with the light weight machines too. Just a lot more patience and adjustments required. Wish I lived closer. I'd be there in a minute to help. Call me if you need anything or just moral support. You have to be a stubborn Bast*#*@*#* like me but you'll get there. Another thing I did was staple everything together to keep it all aligned so all I had to worry about was following the piping with the needle and keeping everything tight. As mentioned, going slow around the corners, IS the key.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks Baja, Wood, and Curt...I was beyond frustrated last night, its 1 part lack of knowledge, 1 part lack of equipment, and 2 parts being crazy enough to still try....I will get it figured out, and I am probably doing it the harder way by doing a boxed end instead of boxing the entire base, but I like the look so I will get it to work! Wood I appreciate the offer of moral support, it will all work out. I think I ma going to do the boxed end first then attach it to the green, so I am working with smaller amount of material at once

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So, something similar to success...new attack was outside in approach...started with the end peice

IMG_3921.jpg

then added the 4.5" strip of tan to it..

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

the 2 loose spots in this pic will be hand-sewn , getting the machine in there was impossible

IMG_3926.jpg