1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

If you place Packing tape over the foam you can glass away!!!! Or Shrink Wrap it.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I bought some 2mil plastic and some super 77 to glue it to the foam prior to glassing...lets hope

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Getting the drivers side gunwale shaped...the blade got away from me a couple times, but nothing I cant fix with the glass...it gives a good idea of what the new gunwale will look like. I used my long carving knife to rough shape it, and then used a sander to bring it into a better shape, still need a little more shaping but I have to head to scouts tonight so done for the day

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3882.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks good JDA!

If you've already got the shot or have the time, I'd love to see side shot of the whole new blue foam gunnel. The 3/4 views look good, but doesn't really show it in profile very well.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Looks good JDA!

If you've already got the shot or have the time, I'd love to see side shot of the whole new blue foam gunnel. The 3/4 views look good, but doesn't really show it in profile very well.

ask and you shall receive

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Perfect!

I like the contour you made w/ the foam. Up front it seems to mimic the console/seat and/or new windshield angle, and tapers nicely towards the stern. If it doesn't interfere with the compartment & lid behind the seats or anything that bolts down to the gunnel, I might stretch that taper another 4-6 inches toward the stern.

Along the outside edge of the foam, make sure to leave enough room for the rubrail to attach & cover the cap-hull joint. And have a good solid connection for the new 'glass covering your foam. It looks like it might be tough to work around the narrow area just outside the foam in your 1st photo in post #743.

Make sure the gunnel is as flat/level or arched as it's supposed to be when it mates with the hull. It looks like there is a little sag centered under the section you've mocked up with foam.

JDA gunnel.jpg

I stretched the rear taper a bit too..

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey JDA,

I'm digging the gunnel addition.... Very cool!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

its an optical collision, err optical illusion that there is a sag...the gunnel actually gets shorter as it goes forward...but when I do the glass Ill make certain it is perfect, I might stretch that angle some, thanks for the advice, thats just where my 8 foot sheet ended so figured that would be fine lol

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good deal, I like the taller gunnel. It makes it look like you'll be more in the boat when seated at the helm instead of on the boat....

Maybe archbuilder will swing by & drop his 2cents in the bucket too....... blah blah blah human scale blah blah blah curve blah blah blah mold blah blah blah cardboard mockup:D His advice is always spot on, especially in terms of design/function concerns.

I see a late spring~early summer scout's camping & fishing trip.........Swim badges mandatory!;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I bought some 2mil plastic and some super 77 to glue it to the foam prior to glassing...lets hope

The design is lookin nice!

Just an added layer of protection...if you like...paint a couple coats of paint, oil or latex, over the foam before spraying with the glue...
And a caution, may or may not make any difference...keep your poly layers to one or two at a time to prevent overheating and deforming the foam...just a thought...

I'll go away now...:redface:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

As long as I have it wrapped in plastic, the foam should be ok right? if not, will epoxy melt the foam too? I know its more expensive but for little spots like that and ease of use, I may do if thats another route. Shaping the foam was just so much easier then trying to do it out of wood and hope my glass lays flats on the voided areas. I have decided the foam will stay, its not heavy, will keep that empty cavity from sounding hollow, and hey my gunwales won't sink on me!still alot of fine tuning, then i need to make it 1/8" smaller all around for glass to lay in and blend to current cap lines. I have never done anything like this just another one of my hairbrained schemes that keep me awake at night because I cant stop thinking about it lol

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you kept the pcs you cut out to drop in the center console, mock up a little foam & practice glassing it in the way you'll do the gunnel addition........

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Did some more modifications, had to add another 1" where the windshield sets, then tapered along the angle so it mounts...I have a couple low spots, but that wil be accomplished with the glass, this is just a base to work from

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

Tried to mock the angles of the backrest of lounge/front of console on this extra 1" because I did not want it going all the way forward

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

an extra picture, a cleaned up look at my vision...excuse my poor paint skills, but gives a better idea how it will look overall once its done

Capredesign.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

^^^ Yep, looking good. I particularly like the mini-windscreen up front, kind of like a forward rumble seat!:eek:

Ok, maybe not... All else looks good though.
smiley_with_thumbs_up.jpg

It's always going to be a work in progress until the final coat of resin.....And color...... Maybe its not even done then.:facepalm: Just step back every now & again to see the big pix. I tend to be focused on whatever I'm actually working on & have to make myself step back.....

JDA1975

Lieutenant

speaking of the big picture..

couldn't settle for half ***, so took several pictures and a little fun with photoshop...and got an almost completed look...gives more depth to it then just the cap

FutureLook.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Wife got home from work tonight, and I showed her my photoshop picture...told her that her boat was done...she said wow, someone else painted a boat just like yours...she thought that I was trying to pass off a pic of someone else' boat as mine lol. Anyways, looking at it, I dont think I can call it a Skeeter anymore

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer
That is an awesome concept craft Judge. You have come up with the first run about bass boat I've ever seen. I think you need to name the Judges Chambers.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Wife got home from work tonight, and I showed her my photoshop picture...told her that her boat was done... I dont think I can call it a Skeeter anymore

I guess this means that there is room in the JDA stable for her's & his boats:D Sounds like she's in for the long haul to get this one done & likes your paint work! Keeping the MRS happy helps us get & work on these projects!

Don't worry, mine didn't accept it when I told her this one is for her, and mine had not yet been found......... Apparently, I wasn't aware that we were a 1 junk boat MAXIMUM household:eek:. I wonder if that was literal? Is it violating the letter of the law, that once this one gets to hull paint & on a redone trailer, then I can acquire a 'new' junk boat???? I may get a temporary exemption if I find a good cheap hull with a serviceable motor & trailer. But I'll definitely be on a short rope to get rid of the hull.....