1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

if I use epoxy to seal it, I plan to tie it into the cap with glass around the edges so it is seamless, I will need to use epoxy resin for that glass work?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Got the majority of the center console built today, thanks to a good friend for his help and use of his wood shop

We built it in two sections then mated them together

Top cup holder/glove box

0107121419.jpg

On the Glove-box lid we are adding a water channel, to keep water that seeps through the lid gap from getting into the glovebox, and put a drainage tube that goes through to bilge area

0107121443.jpg

Added lips to the lid to keep water from entering too

0107121558.jpg

Built the bottom half next

0107121453.jpg

0107121528.jpg

Then paired them together

0107121629.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

then we popped the tops and gave it a whirl, pretty comfy to sit using the armrests and have our beers in the cup holders

0107121652.jpg

Still needs to be routed to soften corners, but looks good

0107121640.jpg

The lid open

0107121640a.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Also went and picked up a free couch that I found on craigs list

Before

IMG_3845.jpg

After

IMG_3846.jpg

They paid us to take it too!

IMG_3847.jpg

And a pile of foam for boat seat builds

IMG_3848.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Router the edges to make em round. Epoxy stick to anything so no problems with that unless you plan on gelcoating the deck and the console, and I wouldn't recommend that.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks HV, appreciate that...came out as well as I had hoped...

Wood, I planned to route it, just wanted to give the PL 24 hours to fully cure, so I didn't get any on the router bits lol. I don't plan to gel-coat, was going to wrap it with vinyl to match the seats, 1/2" foam in key places to make it a little softer. so I will use Epoxy, and coat it all, then do a 6" strip to tab it to the seats, and make it a permanent part of the cap.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

There ya go!!!! The donor couch foam looks exactly like mine. Get an electric carving knife at wally world. Black and Decker $12 bucks. Works great. I worked on my bench seat today but got side tracked by wife, so did not finish it.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

when I picked up that couch, the guys said just a little cleaning and it will be great...I was up front and honest what I planned to do with it, because he was giving it away free, I wanted him to have the option of keeping it and giving to someone that truly needed a couch LOL...he let me have it still! I am still going to need at least 1 more donor couch, those 3 cushions wont be enough to do the 2 back seats and the 2 lounge seats, but I am that much closer!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How thick to you plan on making th cushions. I made my seat 4" and the back 3" Those appear to be 6" like mine. I used the knife to cut it down two inches and there for got an extra 4" slab by gluing the two slaps back into one.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

good call, I hadn't checked, I assumed they were 4" but they are 6" X 24" X 24", so i could get
3 cushions @ 4" deep (cutting 2 to 4" and gluing the left overs together)
2 @ 3" deep (cutting 3rd cushion in half)
I need:
2 cushions @4" X 17" X 17"(bottom)
2 @ 3" X 17" X 12" (back).
2 @ 4" X 30" X 19" (bottoms for loungers)
2 @ 3" X 19" X 10" (lounger backs)

so after laying out my cuts on a drawing I have enough foam to do everything, EXCEPT 1@ 4" X 30' X 19", so will need to find at least 1 more cushion...thanks for the catch, my spatial awareness must have been hampered by the adult beverage I drank with Calvin while resting after our woodwork day! (first beer I have drank in about 8 years, and I am already dizzy without the damn things lol)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Tip: When you cut the foam mark a line with a marker all the way around and then start your cut from a corner so you'll have opposing lines for reference. Do all four corners then cut the center. You'll have nice even flat pieces.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I shall add that to my shopping list now...watched ya do it on your video and looked easy enough, thanks again for tips....we gotta find stuff to keep me busy and not bummed cause I cant glass....LOL, told the wife when it comes time to glass, this thing will be ready to put back to gether pretty quick as I am doing this stuff a little ahead of time

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Got the lid attached and added a lock...Hey Monterrey Dreams, these hinges I used were the ones I once tried to explain to you for putting on your top hatch

Invisible, flush mounted hinges

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

A lock, that wouldn't stop a 5 year old, but at least I can say it was locked when they stole whatever was in there

IMG_3853.jpg

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer
Wow! Love the new center console Judge. That's some great thought you put into it. My son and I were just dreaming tonight after clean up about ideas for ours. I think the ability to make it yours is what's so cool about these builds.

Your right about getting all this type of stuff out of the way while you can't glass. Once you cane you're gonna be finished so fast.

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

Dang Judge! Leaps and bounds ahead of me now! :D It looks GREAT!!!!! I'm still working on finishing up my trailer, but it looks like I'm really going to have to kick things in to overdrive here to catch up.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

JDA,
All I can really say is wow?.again. Man you really are leaping in bounds now. As to the hinges now that I see what you meant I can go look for them?.LOL pitiful aren?t I?:facepalm:
I have been thinking about seats also for my rig. My friend and his wife (same ones in photos on my thread) are great at sewing and they are going to help me out in that quarter. It was a good idea getting the foam from the old cl sofa. I was thinking today where I could buy foam like that for?..now I don?t need to?LOL.:D I should have paid more attention to Woody?s thread. I missed the foam acquisition portion.
I hope you are feeling well, your friend;
Dave

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments, Today I dropped my tank off at the welder, he is going to move my fill tube to the spot that my sending unit was, and move my sending unit to the spot my fill tube was (so we don't have to fill in any holes) which will make things alot easier in terms of routing my fill line (and cheaper since it is shorter). It will cost me 50 bucks after the "small world" discount, just so happened the welder is the lead guitarist of a buddy of mines band. My other welding friend decided it had been 14 years since he has welded aluminum and would rather not risk messing up, understandable.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Score all the small world discounts you can! Congrats on another domino falling into place. Looks like you will really be ready to make headway once you pull the resin/glass order's trigger! Even small victories really help to keep a project moving forward!

Layout & fab on the glovebox/drinkholder/cover looks terrific too! Nice work!