1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Man, 2nd or 3rd day & he's^^^^ already getting bossy:D darn smug canooks :eek:

Headed to see my 1st pro hockey game Fri pm!

I'll be luck to use poly & glass out in the driveway, & it may still cost me a pampered 1/2~full day at a spa/salon for the MRS more times then I care to admit :facepalm:

JDA: even w/ my failure to understand, I liked the way it looks mocked up on the cap. And in terms of how well the operable panel fits/looks, you are correct: almost a perfect fit/finish. I thought it might be less frustrating to have a firm wooden buck to put on & off the cap as you try to get the modifications done to mount the 'new' windshield on your cap. Rather then a 3pc GLASS windshield....

Keep up the great progress...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol jb

have fun at the game........oh....and buy some 50-50 tickets !

the last post at the world jrs.....was 148,000....one winner.....wahoo !

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Oops, I would have never considered the dining room table!, but the counter tops on the other hand....I have 18 feet of layup table space 12 foot in my carport, and another 6 foot sitting on my porch I can put up if needed, I will be glassing outside! when the weather permits

So I did a rough frame in, will let the glass do the rest, It will roll out at the front matching the current cap lip, just higher, then flare a little out still within the cap lines, and at the base return to cap lines, I think it will look alright

Side

IMG_3843.jpg

Front

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

The back where it returns to original cap lines

IMG_3836.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If that won't work, I don't know what will. What's your layup/materials plan?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

layup plan...is to wait til spring to figure it out! I am not sure, I figure a layer of CSM, then 17oz roving, 2 more CSM...should be about same thickness as current gunwale...doing 2 CSM last to try and get rid of the roving pattern...I have changed the lines a little again to work with my handrails so we will see...just getting the form and shape now, will glass in the spring and forget what I decided here by then lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just checkin! But I think the plan is sound. I might go 2,1,2 but other than that it's a sound plan.

jbcurt00

Staff member

JDA &/or WOG, is there a benefit to using 17oz roving instead of 1708? I doubt I will need to rebuild gunnels or windshield bases anytime soon, but as GT1M says: Inquiring minds want to know...

JDA1975

Lieutenant

1708 is a far better option, I am using roving because I can buy it 3 miles from my house, and do not have to pay the massive costs of shipping the 1708, It is just the option I chose because of cost and convenience

jbcurt00

Staff member

I 100% appreciate saving the shipping costs. Shipping will probably by 30-35% of my total 'glass & poly resin, maybe more..... So yeah, buying local would be great!

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Reason... the CSM is Stitched to the 17 oz cloth thus creating a much better bond between the two. If you lay a layer of CSM first and then right after it tacks up lay more resin and the 1708 It will all bond as one single unit. Very Very strong.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey!

Where didja get that glass! :D

Windshield that is...

JDA1975

Lieutenant

off your boat when you weren't looking!

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

JDA, it is really coming together now. You really are working like a man possessed (I know the feeling) :D LOL.
Dave

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol thanks dave...dunno why everyone says that, cause honestly I don't put a lot of time into it, I work for an hour then rest for a few, work an hour, rest...I might put 2 hours a day into it, I just work every day some, when I can, and try to make the most of the time I can give it. If I could work more I could have had this splashed and caught the end of the season lol

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

I don’t know, but I am not really uber handy. I mean I am really stretching myself to fix my boat. You must have already had the knowledge to do such a great job so quickly. I mean I am learning as I go. My best feature is that I am very, very, very, stubborn. It took me 4 hours to get that silly steel strap installed. (But I got it done) I had to run to the store twice for bolts alone. Then I had to figure out how to get the bolt installed under the engine.
Even if you do not see it, you really are doing an Outstanding (sorry, I was in the army after all) job. It does seem to me that you are really zipping right along.
Dave

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah I know, I just don't want people to think I work as hard as they seem to....I have a lot of limitations that slow my progress, but I have also learned to use my time as productively as I can...I have experience working with wood, which helps...unfortunately I do not have access to most of the tools I want and as it stands right now all of my wood has been cut with a circular saw and a jig saw, which doesn't make the most of my time lol....

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

JDA
You are doing a heck of a job. With or without the injury/limitations; I don’t think a better job could be done. As to the tools, I am using only a sawzall right now (i broke my jig the other day; they don’t (it seems) like falling from the top deck of the cat to the cement far below)

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Ok, so planning to go to a friends tomorrow, who has a pretty nice wood shop and build my center console....this is going to require precision I can not achieve with a circular and jig saw...So in an attempt to be better prepared I do a more detailed drawing...this is my plan now, I did away with the flip out cupholder, would rather have more glove box space

bottom right is my attempt at giving a 3D perspective...I shouldn't have ditched art class as much as I did!

IMG_3844.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Oh yeah, I failed to mention, I will be doing it in 1/2" wood, fiberglassed to waterproof, then putting 1/2" of foam and covering with the same vinyl that I use on seats

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Judge, Might be alot easier to use epoxy on this. Just a couple of coats, no mat or cloth needed and she'll last for decades once painted.