1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

WOW!! How HEAVY is THAT CAP!!!!!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

its not that heavy, only took 4 of us to flip it last time...I was just joking about needing a bunch of the moms...I will get it done by this weekend, somehow even if I have to hook a come-a-long up and do it by myself lol, I would say it weighs less than 200 lbs, but being that all of the seating and consoles are built in it is awkward and has a couple weak points that need an extra hand to support

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Heck, ifn its dat hebby, ewe shuld sale it and buy one of dem dere all you mineeum boats. I heered dey dey was lite as a fethur!!!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

it was lighter than I remembered..I went out and could tip it up on its side on my own..so called the wife out...her job was to catch it when it went past the half way point...the old man across the street came down when he saw what we were going to do and added another hand too

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

I did crack it at the weak point I worried about but its fixable, and I am modifying this area for the windshield

IMG_3826.jpg

So i fit the windshield basically where I want it to see how I needed to modify cap to accept it

IMG_3829.jpg

Got tired so had a seat...the seat size i left 18" wide on each side of center console, was just right size

IMG_3830.jpg

anywho I got plenty of work to do now lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm, Judge, You coulda used some C-clamps and a piece of wood to reinforce the "Weak Spot" before you flipped it. But hey, it's glass not tin so you can fix it EASY!!!!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hey Judge that hull structure looks like its going to be "battleship" strong, and almost a shame to cover it all up, it is looking so nice...
Hmmm, Maybe a clear lexan deck...LOL:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Where's the obligatory photo of you paddling the cap across the lawn?:rolleyes:

The stringer & cross pieces look really good. You should submit your stringer build pix to Jasoutside & apply for a 'bomber-builder' permit! It's going to be SIGNIFICANTLY better then when it left the original skeeter lot.:cool:

Glad WOG posted the tank link. A good read & I have an outboard, so no permanent built in tanks.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

thanks guys...it did have 1X2 cross support from factory..at the 4' ply joints...I just added more than it originally had, was it overkill?...definitely...does it make me more comfortable about its strength?...absolutely...will it be more glass work than anyone wants to do?...No doubt about it! even my wife can see an end in sight now...and I am starting to get excited about that....just wish I had an enclosure to work in so I could do the glass this winter. I will focus on getting the cap ready, and come spring, Glass and recap and get out on that lake! Since it will be my first time ever launching or driving a boat, I plan to crash it good, so I can get started on the next one!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

That looks like fun trying to glass around all of that.
I would suggest that you round the edges on the top of the stringers and any corner you plan to glass around. the glass will lay a lot better.
Have Fun

jbcurt00

Staff member

What he said^^^^ rounded over seems to work much better. I also recommend the cut off corner of a zip-lock bag &/or a large metal serving spoon from the dollar general store for getting PB applied & giving the fillets a smooth cove.

Hey,
If CC254's MRS lets him use the dining room table for his teak varnishing, maybe MRS Skeeter will let you 'glass & resin your 1X2's inside the house 'somewhere':eek:

I would definitely apply resin to all of them & apply at least 1 coat of resin/fabric to them prior to installation across the top of the stringers. Which may require the stringer notches to be made a bit deeper & wider then they are in the photos. after the 1X2's are glassed, modify notches as necessary, then bed in the stringers & get them filleted & tabbed/glassed. Then install 1X2's w/ PB or PL.

Working around & trying to glass the 1X2's along with the stringers, seems much more difficult & much more time consuming. But it may work better for you to do it all at once.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

no way I would resin in the house...I have a 7 year old son, and I wouldn't want him to have to walk around for 3 days wearing a respirator lol. I have things to keep me busy for a while, so I will glass come spring time....just got to doing stringers because I was stalled on cap, I thought I would need more help to flip that than I did.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey, asking her to wear a respirator in the house doesn't even make the top 20 reasons the wife won't let me glass in the house!:facepalm:

I'm kind of stuck too. We'll have inclement weather til mid-march if I'm lucky, mid-april~early may if not. I have to plan my grinding & cutting work to fall while she's out of the house. Garage isn't ideal, and is under the master, so I will probable drape plastic to enclose the ceiling & cover the walls. No sheetrock walls. Gives me lots of good places to hang stuff, not an ideal workshop or boat repair depot. We make do.

I still need to page through your thread & find the trailer/hull paint points. I remember the trailer, but really nice work on the hull. Impressive. Have you given much thought to the paint/anti-slip choices yet? Mon & Tues I read through a project where he laid out a 2" diagonal grid pattern in the anti-slip. It was exceptionally well done. I saw it the same day I saw your post & pixabout your trailer in that other thread.

Well gotta run, thanks for letting me read through your thread, helpful & informative. My trailer redo may be sooner then the glass put back on the lil red rocket....

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Jeez JDA, You really are clipping right along now. It looks very great. You should be very proud of the work you did (over all of course; but also just on that frame work) It really looks good. Thanks to Woody for the lesson in tank installation. (I?ll tell him here JDA; sorry for the hijack again (LOL:D) you hog all the ?big fish? over here in your thread. (LOL:D). If I tell him in mine he might not see it!!!! (just kidding:D) I want to place a permanent topside tank so now I know the little bit on framing it makes sense. Also that bit on the rubber is a little spooky. I was already looking today for mats at target.
So do you think that just a thick plastic (heavy duty painters drop cloth or furniture packing shrink wrap) sheet would suffice (to separate the wood from the metal)?
C-YA
Dave

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So do you think that just a thick plastic (heavy duty painters drop cloth or furniture packing shrink wrap) sheet would suffice (to separate the wood from the metal)?
C-YA
Dave

From my understanding of that article, I don't think it would, you are looking to keep the tank off the wood or other points where water can pool, allow some air flow. So I think it is saying to use like 1/4" thick or so hard plastic and glue/seal it to tank so no water can get between the tank and plastic strip, that's just what I got from that reading anyways

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

JDA; GT just posted to my thread to use a car (not rubber) floor mat cut into strips.

Wow, Judge, you have made some pretty killer progress!!!! Hope I can get mine to look that good when I get there. About that plate I showed ya, I talked to one of the BBC sponsors, and he made me a way better one from aluminum and red acrylic, for $15 shipped... If you were interested, you could shoot him an IM over @ BBC. Here's a pic of the one he made me

Attachments

• Skeeter Plate 001.jpg
    Skeeter Plate 001.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Hey, that looks damn sharp, when i get to finishing I will definitely look into that! thanks GP....And seeing your love of pretty things, I bet yours will look just as sharp, really looking forward to when you get started man!

After more cussing than any good man should hear...let alone allow to spew from his mouth, I got the windshield placed where I need it, everything lines up perfectly, and now i can mark out where i need to build up the gunwale to match the windshield..here are a couple pictures, you can see where I will have to build up to match window line, let me know what ya guys think...

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

Cant line up much better than this....

IMG_3834.jpg

will build up and glass gunwale to match the pitch on the windshield here...

IMG_3832.jpg

Oh and for my fellow 3V clubbies...

IMG_3835.jpg

let me know what ya think, overall, does it look good to you with the windshield, once gunwales are built to match do you think it will look like it belongs? opinions always welcome, even if I do the opposite, I still want to know what ya think!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I like the larger, longer 3pc windshield. I might try & mock up a wooden mating surface for the windshield off the boat, get it to look the way you think it should, & brace it so you can remove the windshield. I'm guessing your 'can't line it up...' comment is about the 3 glass panels not being straight across from gunnel to gunnel, & have a rearward sweep on both sides. I like the look of that. Besides, if you straighten it out more, it looks like the rear ends of the side screen windows will be pushed off the outside edge of the gunnel.

Then get your wooden 'buck form' of sorts to fit the existing area by modifying both the existing cap & your buck form's back & bottom edges as you need too to get it set where & how you like it.

I think the skeeter lit panel looks GREAT G-P85! I don't think a firefly would translate as well or make any since w/ FireFlite under it......$15 sounds like a bargain for a 1 of VERY FEW part...... You could make a bit of coin selling them for $18:cool: in several different makes/models...Ok $20.....

JDA1975

Lieutenant

my comment was that you cant line it up better than that...meaning that it was almost perfectly aligned...damn the English language, because both interpretations are correct

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hey,
If CC254's MRS lets him use the dining room table for his teak varnishing, maybe MRS Skeeter will let you 'glass & resin your 1X2's inside the house 'somewhere':eek:

Im sorry .....I have to jump in here......

Glassing on the dining room table is just not acceptable :mad:.....yes it is a large flat surface....however major health conditions could arise due to the fragmentation of the chopped strand mat molecules that may become airborne.. clean up is not that easy !

May I suggest that in the future you keep your glassing to an area that has less health risks involved....

Like the kitchen counters !!!!! :eek::eek::D