Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

I love the clamps!!!! ;) You really are my kind of peeps. LOL.:D
Dave

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Worked on the stringers some, getting my center stringers set up to hold the fuel tank semi-recessed so that it will work with my mini doghouse idea...

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

primary stringer with the recess for fuel tank, this height leaves 1/2" of space below tank and the hull so it does not contact the hull anywhere.

IMG_3801.jpg

This is the box that will sit in the recess, yes I am using my redneck clamps again since me and my dad haven't been talking I have been cut off from the wood shop. which is supposed to be 50% mine, we acquired those tools when we were still building cabinets, the tank support brackets will ride on the 2X4 ends, will have a small floor from outside of box to the main stringers...I am going to leave the bilge channel open, so if I need to access it I can just lift out the tank and its open.

IMG_3800.jpg

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey JDA,

Even without glassin' supplies, looks like you're gettin' er done! Love the redneck clamps!

I'm grinding foam out with a cup brush! Good times!

Happy New Year boss!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I like the box, it worked out well...however..I made a huge oops on it so need to rebuild it some, Ill point out the oops later

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

ok so here is the oops....I left sufficient space on the sides to allow for the added width of the fiberglass...but I did not remember to add space for the front to back....and that's not the worse mistake I made....the other mistake could have cost me a ton of money when the TREATED 2X4s ate a hole in my ALUMINUM tank...glad I caught that early

IMG_3805.jpg

Since it will actually ride on the deck (1/2" piece of ply under the mounting bracket fit perfectly) I will go with 1/2" ply for front/back bulkhead of the recess instead

IMG_3804.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Don't think of it as an oops, you just make WOODEN mock-ups instead of cardboard!:rolleyes: Gen I tank framing leads to Gen II. :D

How is the tank held captive in the recess? The doghouse framing around the sides & the deck above? Don't forget there should be some isolation 'rubber' under the tank. I think Friscoboater Jay used a reclaimed tire welcome mat (wallie world) cut into strips & laid down on top of the BilgeCote (sp?) he used over the poly & glass. I don't remember if he glued them down.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Ill screw the tank down to the deck to hold it down, it will ride between the seats with a dog house over the top of it...did not know about the rubber so I will make sure to add something like that under it when it is mounted permanently, thanks for pointing that out.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Check w/ someone who has done a permanent tank, I can't remember what compound is usually used. That's why I put 'rubber' in quotes. But I'm fairly sure Jay used a wallie world tire welcome mat. Jasoutside used something under his too on his islander. I just can't bring myself to look it up on his thread. The skittle's kaleidoscope of color floatation Jas used causes me to have eye twitches & possibly a siezure! :facepalm:

If you are making it captive between the sides of the frame you posted above, it should probably be used along the insides of that framing too.

Even a busted watch is right twice a day!:cool:

And don't forget to cover the poly & glass under the tank. Rustoleum & hardener may be a low cost alternative to BilgeCote.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Got my 4 primary strings cut, the fuel box placed, and corrected, and its ready for some glass work! I guess if this nice weather continues, ill go to the supply store and buy some resin and cloth Tuesday....and get these babies sealed up so I can bed them and what-not.

cant argue with that...touching all 4 no gaps!

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

Lookin reeeel nice Judge.

B4 you know it you'll be poppin a cap on this baby...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey judge,

I think you've seen these before but just in case, making 3-4 of these and using spring clamps to hold em in place really makes life a lot easier when trying to hold you stringers in place and vertical when it comes time to bed them and tab them to the hull. Hope this pic makes sense.

stringerBraces.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

makes good sense thanks wood, I decided to go with wood, because my other route cleaning it up and getting it prepped just seemed like too much work lol...and after reading so many threads on perfectly good wood restores...why mess with something that works!

if i could use my tools I have some metal spacers like that we used to space things...adjustable sliders...I may just have to make up with dad just so I can use the tools lol

JDA1975

Lieutenant

got the last 2 stringers placed, according to level it is spot on....I do have the deck pieces cut as well, but wont dry fit those until stringers are bedded

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Got to thinking about my previous comment about not dry fitting the deck until stringers are bedded, and decided the only way to know for sure that the stringers were right would be to see if with the deck. So if i had something wrong I could fix it before bedding them. So here is the main 2 deck boards in place...the smaller ones will be cut after stringers are placed because there will be some slight shifting once i bed them

overall view aft to bow

IMG_3813.jpg

bow to stern

IMG_3811.jpg

can see the old deck line on the sides...pretty damn close....close enough I think I can live with it

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

That 1/2" ply without the foam and fiberglass to stiffen it is awful spongey...but even with the stringers just floating, it felt pretty good

jbcurt00

Staff member

With that many stringers, once you bed & glass them and glass the deck across them & to each side of the hull and attach the deck to the stringers it will be significantly firmer then it is now. Looks good at the old deck height line & really nice & flat across your stringer heights! Well done. Bet it's good to see some progress towards put back! This is ME Green w/ envy!:D:cool:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Excuse my poor sloppy fast art work, will do a better drawing once I finalize my idea, but this is the idea for my tank cover/dog house

scan0001.jpg

plan to have a shallow, water tight glove-box built into the top, a flip out cup-holder, and the cover should flip up (or be removable, not sure yet) so I have access to the tank should the need arise.

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer
Nice progress Judge. I like the glove box idea. Like was already said, once everything is glassed and tabbed it's gonna be spot on. Well done!

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Wow JDA,
the amount of work you posted since I last peeked in is unbelievable!:eek: You really are doing a great job.:D
Dave

JDA1975

Lieutenant

It's this weather...unbelievable for early January...55-75 degree weather really suits me...the hotter or colder it gets from this range the worse I get physically, so have been really getting it done. The stringers and deck was probably a total of 4 hours over 2 days, went a lot easier than I thought it would....getting things to line up right and meet the proper height intimidated me, but once i got started it just flowed. Did not have any templates to work with so it was all just measuring and cutting and hoping...cant wait to get some glass work done, seeing it like this gives me hope that when I go to put the cap on everything is gonna fit really nice!

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Four hours! It took me longer than that to cut and fit one half of my cabin wall alone! It was hard; there is not a straight line in the entire boat (not to mention anything as plebian as a right angle corner!). Keep up the excellent work. Four hours. All I can say is wow.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure you did, but since you didn't mention it, you did calculate the 1/4" lift of the stringers for bedding materieal...Right????