1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

Hey JDA,

Hope your feeling good, especially now that you have a little moola for toy supplies...:D

Can't wait to see how the laminated fiberglass "lumber" works out...

GT1M

JDA1975

Lieutenant

thanks GT1M, I am looking forward to seeing how this idea works out as well...salvaged all my hardware today, so it is ready to cut up...we had a bad batch of rain and in my infinite wisdom, I did not set that boat in a way that it could drain...So when it started to fill up it did so bow/port heavy and tipped off its blocks...no biggie, just amused me to think I made that mistake, glad it was just a donor hull. I took a hammer and screwdriver and tried my darndest to break a hole in the hull at the lowest point to drain it...but it wouldn't even dent it...too bad it wasn't a tinny!

here's some of the stuff I salvaged.

Windshield, Real glass so should clean up nicely. What do you all recommend to clean up the frames? or should I just paint those tan, and tint the windows green lol

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

Rails and cleats...doesn't look pitted, but what do you all recommend to bring them back to a shine?

IMG_3565.jpg

Navigation lights (my bow light was a pole light and I prefer this style)

IMG_3564.jpg

Bimini slider (planning on building my own Bimini, and no, I don't plan on doing it cheap and ugly)

IMG_3567.jpg

Snapz, I haz gotz em now (dunno what I will use them for but that boat had like 150 screw in snaps)

IMG_3574.jpg

Anyhow, will break out the diamond tile blade for my grinder and get to cutting tomorrow...see what kind of stock i will have to work with.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is the stuff i used on my auminium....a stick of rouge, and a drill buffer.

randomsummerpicsandfire018.jpg

tool mounted and ready to go

randomsummerpicsandfire019.jpg

work in progress

randomsummerpicsandfire015.jpg

coming together

randomsummerpicsandfire016.jpg

all done

randomsummerpicsandfire017.jpg

judge, a bag of those screw in snaps is 10 bux for a hundred of em. they are all nice and shiny.....if you use the old oxidized ones....it will show

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks oops, that looked like it worked great for bringing that shine out! I doubt I will even use the snaps...don't really have a use for them, but if I decide to use some I will buy new ones, thanks

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So needed to get a rough idea of how large to cut my fiberglass strips, so laid out some string lines and measured to them. Subtract 3/4" for 1/2" deck + fiberglass...and got my board foot of stock needed.

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

The windshield cleaned up nice with a little elbow grease and Windex...Now to polish it, and it will be good to go!

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

For my transom, I need 15" X 44", but my deepest stock is 13" if i stagger them can I get away with laminating a 13" and a 3" (gives me 16..so i have a lil extra for straight lining it once its laminated) to get my 15" wide pieces?

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

There's never a picture taken by Oops! that doesn't show something with the word "Corona" on it. ;)

Looks good Judge! I'm diggin' the fiberglass stringer idea. Unless you plow in to a stump or rock, your boat outta last a lifetime or two!

Decker83

Commander

Judge,
Are you talking about making the transom wood in 2 piece's, 13" and 3".

If it was mine I would do it in one solid piece. A 16" x 44" piece can be made from half a sheet of plywood. You should be able to get some from HD or Lowes.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Judge,
Are you talking about making the transom wood in 2 piece's, 13" and 3".

If it was mine I would do it in one solid piece. A 16" x 44" piece can be made from half a sheet of plywood. You should be able to get some from HD or Lowes.

Im talking about doing the transom using fiberglass strips 13 and 3" wide....Cutting up my donor hull to make my own laminated fiberglass plywood basically...Stringers/transom will be solid glass...but my deepest flat section is 13 inches, so figured if i staggered the glass 13" and 3" then 3" and 13" then 13 and 3 again, until its 1.5" thick (yes 1 layer of CSM and resin between each) that's what I am asking

Decker83

Commander

Ok, I understand now. Since you are doing that way, I would asume its the only way you can do it.
When you put the layers together make sure you have all the gelcoat removed and any type glue or paint removed. Just want good clean glass to lay together. Use the acetone to clean all the piece's.
I really like your paint job on the hull and trailer. Very Sharp!!!!
Kent

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I picked this up at Wally World for $2.50 and all I can say is WOW!!! It polishes tarnished aluminum with GENTLE rubbing with a soft rag and then wipe off the BLACK residue and buff to shine. This stuff really works GREAT!!! Made my windshield frame look like chrome with minimal buffing. I used the rouge before and this is much better.

MetalPolish.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I picked this up at Wally World for $2.50 and all I can say is WOW!!! It polishes tarnished aluminum with GENTLE rubbing with a soft rag and then wipe off the BLACK residue and buff to shine. This stuff really works GREAT!!! Made my windshield frame look like chrome with minimal buffing. I used the rouge before and this is much better.

MetalPolish.jpg

If Mom made it, it has got to be good! lol, I used to use a product called neverdull to polish my fuel tanks on my semi, those were stainless steel, so wasn't sure if it worked on aluminum...same type thing...rub on til its black and polish off. Funny thing, I cut my finger while cleaning the aluminum frame today....that stuff scares me!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Mirror.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

This is interesting... I see how this will be fine for the stringers... but what is your plan for the transom? Just continual lay ups until it's 2" thick?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you're gunna try to fab a transom out of this then I'd HIGHLY recommend using epoxy and not Poly. The epoxy bond is much stronger and does not require mat or cloth. You could use cloth if you want but not necessary. I've never heard or seen this done before but see no reason why it would/could not work. 6-8 lams should get you there but the $$$ amount might be up there a bit. Still, prolly less than Seacast. If you wanna be the guinea pig this experiment, go for it, I REALLY hope it is successful cuz it could be a boon to the Boat repair DIY'ers. Keep track of cost's so we can all know what to expect if we want to try and emulate your efforts.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

If you're gunna try to fab a transom out of this then I'd HIGHLY recommend using epoxy and not Poly. The epoxy bond is much stronger and does not require mat or cloth. You could use cloth if you want but not necessary. I've never heard or seen this done before but see no reason why it would/could not work. 6-8 lams should get you there but the $$$ amount might be up there a bit. Still, prolly less than Seacast. If you wanna be the guinea pig this experiment, go for it, I REALLY hope it is successful cuz it could be a boon to the Boat repair DIY'ers. Keep track of cost's so we can all know what to expect if we want to try and emulate your efforts.

What cloth would you use? 1708 or a roving with epoxy? Are you saying 6-8 layers of JUST cloth? or of cloth + scrap from the donor hull?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

6-8 layers of the scrap material using 17oz cloth between layers. NOT 1708. It has CSM stiitched to it and the Epoxy will not break down the CSM and thus soaks up the epoxy and could in theory weaken the bond. I would probalby not use any cloth. The epoxy will yield a suffiecient bond to the material without using the cloth IMHO.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Wood, do you mean you wouldn't use any mat? :confused:

What about building it straight from scratch and just using the 17oz cloth? I feel like that would be easier than cutting and prepping the old stuff.. but also more $$

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You don't use mat with epoxy. Only cloth. To build a transom out of Poly resin and 1708 would be extremely pricey. About 24 layers needed for 1/1/2" Transom.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I am planning to try the transom for sure, but stringers will come first as far as stock goes. I was thinking of doing 7" and 4" strips since those are my stringer rough heights So if I have enough material left over for the transom, then I will do that as well, we shall see. I was thinking if i laminated with cloth between each layer it would add up to a thicker size with less donor hull, but still stay within a reasonable cost....since my transom is only 15" X 44" at the widest point, 33" at the bottom, the expense isn't as high as you folks who have full stern width/height transoms. Just my thinking, but we all know what happens when I do that!

Worked on trailer today, went and got a jack, winch cable, bunk boards/carpet. Decided that I did not want to get fiberglass dust all over my neighbors yard/house....he said he doesn't care, but I don't think he realizes how much dust I am talking about lol. Anyhow, getting trailer ready to carry a boat, so I can take my Donor hull down to my dads house, go out in the back back 40 and make all the mess I want, plus he has a burn pile for the stuff I cant use lol

oops!

Supreme Mariner

There's never a picture taken by Oops! that doesn't show something with the word "Corona" on it. ;)

heh heh heh....you will figure it out in the spring