1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

Yep I think you HAVE to paint the Star GREEN. Tan on the rest. Even thought you ARE tape crazy, You DO have a good eye for style and I do NOT think you are over the top.

Well I have bee saved a couple times so far, thanks to the friendly folks here at Iboats that don't mind sharing their opinion...right now I don't feel over the top, but doing things like the hub green to tan I started to feel I might be pushing it, but it came out OK....I have these ideas in my head and its not until i can see them that sometimes I think it might be too much.....especially when I get to transition points and have to figure out how the lines are going to go. I just want as much attention when i pull my empty trailer off the ramp as I get with my spiffy boat paint lol.

Disclaimer: took my night-night pill so if I made no sense just laugh and ignore it. Sleeping pill at night to offset the Anti-Narcoleptic I take when I wake up,,,,,no more falling asleep mid sentence, or spending the day on the couch it wakes me up and makes need to find something to keep busy lol

Last edited:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Remind me not to post when I have taken a sleeping pill...I edited that last one this morning because, wow, nuf said. Woke up this morning ready to roll on some paint job, and found this greeting me.

IMG_3533.jpg

I should have been a weatherman, they can be wrong 90% of the time and we still listen to them! Anyhow it is supposed to clear up in a couple hours, so running the risk of getting thoroughly annoyed, I went ahead and finished taping off....got the tarp ready to cover tape in case it was a bad idea.

IMG_3534.jpg

I just want to finish this paint job already! think I have spent more time on my trailer than the boat....

Oh yeah anyone want to come blow some leaves off my lawn? lol

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, one of my biggest complaints has always been that "I" could never find a job where I could be that far "OFF" (90% of the time) and still get paid!

I just wish I could get as enthusiastic as you about dressing up my trailer. But I'll have to admit, putting back is much more rewarding,exciting than the demo work. I am starting to get a little ckanked up.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So this is just my luck! I decided to go ahead and risk the chance of rain...have the paint on there drying...really happy and the neighbors son shows up and starts burning the leaves off the lawn....little ashes flying and landing all over my fresh green paint!

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

looks like I will be doing some sanding on this one...darnit!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Ok, so we wanted to see how it was going to look, let paint dry for about 3-4 hours and removed tape...its still a little tacky so will look better once fully cured (i swear the boat gets shinier every day longer it sits there)

Front view

IMG_3539.jpg

lil closer

IMG_3540.jpg

Rear view

IMG_3541.jpg

this side

IMG_3543.jpg

that side

IMG_3542.jpg

There really is a reason for this...you just cant see it yet!

IMG_3544.jpg

So thats that...some touch up work, lights and a new jack and the trailer is done!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Just for fun, I wanted to see how well it was mirrored across fenders so took one of my pictures, cut it in half and put the halves next to each other

Mirrored.jpg

pretty darn close, if it wasn't for the boat and lattice in the back ground I would think it was a mirror...even the leaves lined up!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Looks Grrrrrrr-8! Nice goin Judge...

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I think I can see about .004 difference in the two. You will have to redue the whole thing. LOL :D
I think you should go over and think the neighbor too.
Can't even see the ashes either.
Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Looks Grrrrrrr-8! Nice goin Judge...

Thank you Tony the Tiger! appreciate that

I think I can see about .004 difference in the two. You will have to redue the whole thing. LOL :D
I think you should go over and think the neighbor too.
Can't even see the ashes either.
Bob

the .004 difference was lining up the 2 halves of the picture wrong! so we are ok...and the ashes are there, I just did not take any close ups of it yet lol....but thanks for trying to appeal to my obsessive compulsive side and make me do it over!

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Trailer is wired, hardware installed, It is road ready!

OK i lied...its not road ready, still has no hubs/wheels, but I do have the stuff, just waiting on my friend to come help me, I got the ones with the grease fitting, for easier maintenance. BTW, a lesson I learned today, after stopping at an auto parts store and spending over an hour of them looking for proper bearings and seals...I went to my local farm supply and they had an entire Kit with bearings and seals...to top it off the kit cost 12.95 there...and just 1 bearing was 10 bucks at the auto parts store

IMG_3545.jpg

Anyhow, shes hooked up to my truck so I could wire her

IMG_3546.jpg

Lights all work...good thing too, because I hate wiring, Installed the hardware, also

IMG_3548.jpg

starting to think I may leave the winch just solid green...I like it, but the wheels are still turning

IMG_3549.jpg

So I can officially say this thing is parked for the winter..now on to the boat!

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Trailer restoration is done, so here she is, parked for the winter, until I get the boat done! but there is something seriously wrong with this picture (besides no jack,,,its out of stock right now)

IMG_3557.jpg

Don't see whats wrong? perhaps a closer look....

IMG_3555.jpg

Why is the cord that long to begin with?...well, because my truck has built in plugs, both 4 and 7 pin, so stock trailer cords are not long enough to reach, I had to splice my ground because what they leave you in the kit was half as long as I needed.

IMG_3556.jpg

So I truly hate leaving my cords lying on the ground like that...so I came up with a little Idea to redneck my way out of it

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

and there it is neatly stowed

IMG_3551.jpg

could be a nifty trick if anyone else has this problem.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Trailer looks real nice...good job JDA...:cool:
Just needs some bunks or rollers, right?:rolleyes:
Hey I like the idea with the false plug...good thinking:)

Oh Yeah, how did you finally paint the rims???Inquiring minds want to know...:confused:
GT1M

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I haven't painted rims yet...wanted to get a look at it with them on the trailer and give it some more thought. Bunks will be put on right before I am ready to move boat to trailer...Don't see any point in leaving them out in the weather...with a boat on top of them they don't get rained on. Just figure a winter of rain snow and icing on bunks would not be a good idea.

I did take it on a 10 mile test drive...pulled nice, and when I got home the seals had no grease leakage and were still cool to the touch, so i guess I did the bearings right. My friend came over and walked me through it since I wanted to do the work myself and learn for the next time. He let me use his bearing packer...nifty tool btw, so I didn't have to use my hands to pack it.

Rims will be painted soon.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Well, one thing for sure you won't have to worry about another trailer like yours.
Looks pretty good my friend.
Now get back to the boat.
LOL :D
Take care
Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks Bob, I like it too, I almost drove to the marina just to see how it looked parked on the ramp lol....If my friends there hadn't already seen the pictures I might have just to show it off. Gearing up for the boat now...Transom first while I toy with a few ideas for my stringers. The neat thing about today was my wife actually wanted to go on the test drive, and she seems genuinely excited about moving forward now......It might have helped when I told her that the trailer is now worth more than my total investment in the project so far lol. And I think she sees that I can and will finish a project despite certain limiting factors!

Bad news is I have to go to doctor tomorrow and may be losing use of my right arm soon...apparently they were right . for years they keep telling me to get an electric wheel chair, and I keep saying when my arms don't work I will. They warned me my rotator cuff in my shoulder would go out and it looks like it has, so might end up getting surgery...bleh

Any way we shake a stick at it, I will be banging out some boat work and splashing the ole girl come spring....I might even take my boat out....the ole girl was my wife! dont tell her I said that!

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

Love the trailer Judge! Sorry to hear about your arm, though. If it's any ray of hope, my dad blew out his rotator cuff pretty bad and after surgery and rehab, he came out with MORE strength than before (something about having to overlap muscles or something during the surgery).

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah, Im not worried about the outcome...just might put a bind on my abilities...My dad had both of his done...1 at a time of course so he didnt lose both arms at once lol. and hes good now. If he decides I need a surgery to correct it..I may have him wait on it until like april...I can fish with 1 arm but cant build a boat that way lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Judge,

You asked about the ONE the other day. I did not finish my post. One of my best friends in the whole world has MS and I understand the disease quite well. You and He share the same attitude, and I am amazed. He has lost the use of his right leg somewhat, but he keeps on truckin. Amazing!!! Just like you. All I can say is, Take care, do what is right for you, and we'll all be here to support you as best we can. I just wish this fat old man was closer, so I could be of more help.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Ahh..OK well that "one" threw me for a loop, anyways you guys give me lots of help, and inspiration. Just got back from the doc, got some X-Rays and the good news is I just have arthritis and I aggravated it...who woulda thunk it...so he told me to take it easy and it will stop hurting. yeah right like I will take it easy lol