1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

Judge,
Hope you have a nice long flat surface to work on. Those thin strips of glass will bow very easy.
You are a work in progress.
Kent

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Im talking about doing the transom using fiberglass strips 13 and 3" wide....Cutting up my donor hull to make my own laminated fiberglass plywood basically...Stringers/transom will be solid glass...but my deepest flat section is 13 inches, so figured if i staggered the glass 13" and 3" then 3" and 13" then 13 and 3 again, until its 1.5" thick (yes 1 layer of CSM and resin between each) that's what I am asking

i would strongly advise against this method.
the amount of time it will take to do this correctly is far more than a traditional transom.
if it is a rot free transom you are looking for, there are several transom core materials that will work for you. the amount of work you are talking about is days of laminating.

each surface must be prepped correctly, or you will not get a bond....epoxy will be better, but the cost would be outrageous. not to mention a 8 hour wait between each lamination for the epoxy to cure, so the next layer is straight......you are looking at a minimum of 3 weeks to build a transom..and the final product would be at best,,,,a lumpy hack job..very heavy..... strong, and stiff?....possibly if it is engineered correctly. but most likely, will give you worse results than you expect. and far worse than a standard wood transom.

if you use a composite type material in your new transom. you will get over 50 or 60 years.
if you use a standard wood transom, properly encapsulate the wood, you will get 30-40 years, so what is to gain form the extra work and the extra weight?

as far as your stringers....no problem....just lay a form the shape you need, and glass over it.....3 layers of matt 1708 alternating, so you have 6 layers total....and your good for glass stringers.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

heh heh heh....you will figure it out in the spring

Ummm... Would this be a subtle hint about the theme that has been a lock down secret?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm really leaning in the same direction as OOPS on the Transom. Not saying it couldn't be done and If you want to give it a go then OK but... It will be pricey and the results may be less than desirable. Epoxy cure times are something to deal with and keeping it flat and smooth will be an issue but I can help you with that if you want to build the necessary presses to accomplish it. I know you have time but... with out a heated shop to work with over the winter, building the transom will be long and tedious process. 3 gallons of Epoxy minimum guess ti mate. Good wood transom with care taken in fabrication will last 40 yrs or more. Your decision.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I have a huge amount of respect for the people here and your opinions count, the transom and stringers are out...It seemed like a neat Idea, and that's why i toss these off you guys before I do them. This is my first time doing something like this, I knew absolutely nothing about boats when I came here and have learned a lot from you guys. My mind goes a 1000 miles a minute and I come up with all kinds of things, that sound like a neat idea, but don't always go according to plan. Thanks for your input Oops, and of course yours Mike, don't know where I would be without your guidance in this endeavor.

Learned something new tonight....carpeting bunk boards is a PITA! but got em done...Getting that carpet to wrap around the corners and stay tight was anything but easy.

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

the ends are wrapped 3 ways so triple thick...heard they wear out quicker so figured give them a little more cushion

Wish I could get my boat down in my basement! there's lots of room!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looks like you could grow flowers on that Grass, I mean Carpet!!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Looks like you could grow flowers on that Grass, I mean Carpet!!!!

Planted the grass today...well installed it on the trailer anyways. Really wish they had a darker green than that, but looks good anyhow

New jack...I am not going to paint it...it looks fine like that. It is a swing away as well.

IMG_3589.jpg

I am going to buy a new strap winch soon....the one i had was a rope winch, so no strap slot. I dont care for the rope so used a cable instead. Also added a Bow safety chain, just for peace of mind. Went to 3 marine/boat stores looking for a bow stop....found one at Wal-Mart..go figure, that place has everything lol...waiting for them to add a lumber yard

IMG_3585.jpg

some different shots of finished trailer

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

Need to get some green paint and paint the white cut part of the carpet...I should have left a little and rolled it under...but hind-sight is 20/20

IMG_3587.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the trailer looks great.

just one thing i might add......that aluminum safety hook on the safety chain....

those things are garbage. i stretched one winching a 12 foot aluminium boat on to a trailer.

swap that out for a good heavy duty one.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

:DGREEN with envy, JDA...:D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Sad day for me...to see such an ugly boat on my trailer! I did transom strap it to move it to my house...but removed them and am going to strap it across the gunwales because when I tightened the transom straps down it all but ripped the transom hooks out!

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

Just a note on the wheel if its zinc plated after about a season it will start wearing off and rust will begin to show and only get worse from there. I've painted mine with the cold galvanize spray and even though it doesn't adhere that well its better than nothing

Last edited by a moderator:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Just a note on the wheel if its zinc plated after about a season it will start wearing off and rust will begin to show and only get worse from there. I've painted mine with the cold galvanize spray and even though it doesn't adhere that well its better than nothing

do you mean the jack?

blkvyyper

Seaman
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Need some advice

i agree with fmjnax,
i havent started my restoration yet but i want the peace of mind knowing that every inch was taken care of. nothing worse than leaving out a repair only to come back and bite you in the wazoo later...

JDA1975

Lieutenant

i agree with fmjnax,
i havent started my restoration yet but i want the peace of mind knowing that every inch was taken care of. nothing worse than leaving out a repair only to come back and bite you in the wazoo later...

not sure which repair your talking about, I don't plan on leaving anything out...maybe I missed something in translation...

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So got some use out of the donor hulls fiberglass.....I needed to replace the inside fender guards (keeps mud from getting on your boat) Originally they were plywood with carpet covering them...so like always one of my hair-brained schemes popped into my head.

created my template with cardboard (I cant get to inside of fender since boat is there...these will NOT be mounted where I have them in picture)

IMG_3596.jpg

Traced template onto old hull (my version of the bow boobs of old!)

IMG_3598.jpg

Then will glue this carpet on...place it on the inside of fender and screw it on...No worry of the wood ever rotting on them now.

IMG_3599.jpg

So if nothing else, I got some use of the old hull

JDA1975

Lieutenant

have not gotten anything done and I am going nuts....since wifes hours were cut we foresaw financial problems and got rid of our second car, before we got in over our heads...now she got her hours back and I regret panicking because I cant get this donor hull hauled off til Friday now, and cant work on anything until that's taken care of. So now wife informs me she wants a garage sale this friday and I have to move all my boat stuff out of the carport and on to the lawn....waiting patiently for an HOA rep to come since I have 2 old boats in my yard now lol

JDA1975

Lieutenant

LOL, wife had a garage sale today, had my hull out in the driveway and trailer parked in the lawn....had several people want to buy them, and then a couple more ask if I would do work on their boat....Sure as heck aint selling it! but the working on someone else' boat has some appeal!

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you'll work for food maybe we can work somethin' out. But I ain't talkin' ribeye and lobster.:D Heck, the way you work you could have mine done in a couple of weeks! Does Florida have any appeal to ya?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol...Florida would be way to hot for me! not that Arkansas is much better. Only problem I would have taking on someone else' job is that I would have expectations of timely completion and the unpredictable nature of my health I couldn't commit to doing it in X amount of time.