1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Well that is good news! My close friend has been fighting MS himself. As long as I have known him, he has been in a chair. He ended up having to take permanent disability about 4 years ago due to carpal tunnel in BOTH wrists (we're computer programmer/IT professional. We NEED our hands). After a few surgeries, he never regained full use and is pretty much home-bound now. He's only in his mid 30's. Take good care of yourself Judge!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

I got some of that Arthur Itus too! Aleve works great for me, but not sure if you can take it with your condition.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

Hey Judge,
Stop aggravating the arthritis and maybe it won't keep buggin ya...:D
I'll keep you in my prayers.
Be well brother boater...
GT1M

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Ok, instead of painting the tires, I decided to just put one of my wife's plates in there, to make it look purty

IMG_3558.jpg

Nah really just happened to be the perfect size, to trace out my tape template.

Heres the paint...I am not happy with it. Color is great...tape job so not so much...but thos wheels are about as temporary as the used tires I bought to get things going

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

And GT1M, Ill quit aggravating it, as soon as I have nothing to do but fish all day!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The wheels look sharp...that buggy is gonna really pop with a fresh boat on it...
GT1M

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Well, I'm glad that it wasn't what you thought, It still stinks to be getting older but, we are all in that boat. LOL :p
I'm glad I'm only 29.5 years old, for the second time. LOL :D

Take it easy, You well get the boat done, you still have plenty of time.

Take care
Bob

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good. Glad to hear things are looking up. When I started dealing with my lyme, they told me I had MS... I still have a lot of joint problems and found a chiropractor very helpful.. I don't want to overstep my boundaries, but the boat looks great :D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Well, I'm glad that it wasn't what you thought, It still stinks to be getting older but, we are all in that boat. LOL :p
I'm glad I'm only 29.5 years old, for the second time. LOL :D

Take it easy, You well get the boat done, you still have plenty of time.

Take care
Bob

Older? NOOOOO...lol looks like your almost as old as I am for the first time....36, Never considered getting arthritis already..but Doc said as much weight as I carry with my arms, he is not surprised. shoulders weren't made to walk. They have weighed me when I was on my crutches and I only weigh 60lbs...so that means my arms are carrying 140 lbs lol

Looking good. Glad to hear things are looking up. When I started dealing with my lyme, they told me I had MS... I still have a lot of joint problems and found a chiropractor very helpful.. I don't want to overstep my boundaries, but the boat looks great :D

Ain't no boundaries with me man, I am not ashamed, nor do I hide my disease...I don't mind others input, as long as your not saying "its all in my head", or "I am sick because I don't pray enough", that stuff drives me nuts... Thanks for the complements...if you get close it definitely looks like I painted it in my driveway with a brush...but I think it will look fine driving down the road!

Got the tires remounted...I am definitely buying new Rims...I think some aluminum would look good on it, as long as I don't look at them wrong, it will be safe!

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Ain't no boundaries with me man, I am not ashamed, nor do I hide my disease...I don't mind others input, as long as your not saying "its all in my head", or "I am sick because I don't pray enough", that stuff drives me nuts... Thanks for the complements...if you get close it definitely looks like I painted it in my driveway with a brush...but I think it will look fine driving down the road!

A doctor told me (after having a seizure and a 104 fever in the hospital for a week) this once and my dad almost beat the living **** out of him and had a few... uh... choice words to say :rolleyes:

But! on a happier note! I really think is THE MOST creative and best looking trailer on iboats. Your attention to detail and creativity have really paid off. It looks effin' awesome. :D

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks good from here ....... Nice job!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If my boat was green....I'd mount her up!!! Looks GREAT!!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

But! on a happier note! I really think is THE MOST creative and best looking trailer on iboats. Your attention to detail and creativity have really paid off. It looks effin' awesome. :D

Dont know about best, all of the trailers I have seen restored look great! Mine is just matched to a specific boat, so Isn't useful if I decided to sell the trailer without the boat. Thanks again, appreciate the vote of confidence, and your continued interest in my thread!

Looks good from here ....... Nice job!!

Thanks Jon, yours is coming along nicely too, cant wait to start on the boat rebuild now!

If my boat was green....I'd mount her up!!! Looks GREAT!!!!

you can't have it!!!!It's mine!!!! lol thanks wood

Ok, so beginning my next project, which is stripping my donor hull of hardware and windshield...I would like to get some opinions on my plan. The hull is a very straight side, about 6 feet X 14 foot worth (not counting the parts of the bottom that are straight and flat) I was thinking of cutting the straight parts off...then using a table saw cut them into strips the size of my stringers....laminate the strips together to be about 1"-1.5" thick and then making fiberglass lumber basically, out of them. Think it would work? solid fiberglass stringers and possibly even the transom? If not once it is stripped I can toss a couple bunk boards on my trailer and load it up and haul it to the closest boat salvage yard...but thought it might be a good idea if i wanted to go woodless for my rebuild.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I see no reason that would not work. Heck, some Gorilla Glue and Staples would work well. Once the stringers are in and the glass is applied, it's the glass that actually takes all the hull stresses. You could even make the tops wider by adding additional strips. This would make it easier to attach the deck. WOW, I'm actually getting excited! I think this is one Heck of an idea. Great way to get rid of a donor boat and... Never have to worry about rotten stringers again. BINGO!!! I think we have a WINNER!!!!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Ok, then cut into pieces it shall be....I was thinking of laminating them...grind/prep them, then using CSM between each layer, and pressing it together. after its solid, then tabbing to hull with 1 layer CSM, 1 layer Roving, 1 more layer CSM. No need to cap it. The placing strips on top is a good idea, I could do 1/2 wide and put 1" wide strips over the top. Would get more use with thinner stringers. Would 1/2" of fiberglass be as strong as the 1/2" plywood stringers I removed?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Stronger!!!! I think your plan is "Spot On"!!! If you have not purchased the Roving yet, I would recommend 1708 Biax instead of the roving. Must easier to use and much stronger. I'd also think you'd need to use two layers of 1708 or roving for strength. But... I have been known to "OverKill" my stringers.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Stronger!!!! I think your plan is "Spot On"!!! If you have not purchased the Roving yet, I would recommend 1708 Biax instead of the roving. Must easier to use and much stronger. I'd also think you'd need to use two layers of 1708 or roving for strength. But... I have been known to "OverKill" my stringers.

my local supplier doesn't have 1708 biax, or I would, and I don't want to pay the high shipping cost when I can get it locally. Also in long run it will save me money since I don't have to buy more than I need, if I need more run down the road and buy it...whereas if i ordered it and got too much I wouldn't have much to use it on lol

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I couldn't get it locally either, so I justs used heavy roven woven and GSM. I don't think it is going to go anywhere in my lifetime. I think on my next rebuild I'm going to go with foam stringers and heavy glass over them.

Best regards
Bob

Decker83

Commander

Judge,
I really have to give it to you. You sir are one working man.
The trailer looks very sharp!! I personally think the rims look great on the trailer.
I would have a hard time not using them unless they or in bad shape.
Of course a nice new brushed alumium set might just do the trick.

If you use the woven roven glass, you will need to put the csm down and put the woven down all at one time. I am no expert by no means but
to my understanding you can't use the woven without the csm and the csm must go down first and still be wet when the woven is laid. If you do
use 2 layers of woven you should use the csm between the layers. That's alot of glassing.

My deck boat had the woven over the stringers and it only had one layer over the csm. The boat is a 1983 and the foam was wet but the stringers
were in really good shape.

Keep up the good work.
Kent

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If it's gunna be WR then I'd use two layers of CSM and then the WR. That Should Be all you'd need. Like Decker says do it all WET.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

If it's gunna be WR then I'd use two layers of CSM and then the WR. That Should Be all you'd need. Like Decker says do it all WET.

So no CSM after the WR? I guess under the deck it wont matter....If i do anything that will be seen, like open areas of the bilge, should I do 2 CSM 1 WR then 1 CSM to smooth it out?

Sold my nightmare of a pool (i hated the maintenance and we have 2 private pools in town, only 35 bucks a year to use them) for 300 bucks so the fiberglass supplies can be purchased (pool = toy= toy money!) So looking forward to jumping on that in like 2 weeks. Need time to strip and chop the donor boat up...get my strips laminated, and cut to shape.