1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

OK, WELL ... if we drag 'er out for a few months even - my wife'll just figger I "FINALLY" got er done and she can start savin' some money again. I was thinkin' to speed things up a little we could do sumpin' like the pic on the bottom only with my wife's '87 Camaro in place of the van. Maybe then she'd be more inclined to go fishin' with me. Although I kinda like the one on top too!

wont_believe_photos.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

OK, WELL ... if we drag 'er out for a few months even - my wife'll just figger I "FINALLY" got er done and she can start savin' some money again. I was thinkin' to speed things up a little we could do sumpin' like the pic on the bottom only with my wife's '87 Camaro in place of the van. Maybe then she'd be more inclined to go fishin' with me. Although I kinda like the one on top too!

View attachment 122616

Oh!, Oh!, Oh!...I Know!...use that "donor hull", flip it, and put it on your skeeter, a little extra glass/grinding work...it will be UN-cap-SIZABLE!
And you could become more famous than oops!... LOL:eek::p:D

BTW, hang in there Judge, we all go through these little "trials" [haha, pun intended] and tribulations...Money's lack of visiting being one of the most annoying...

Hopefully, I find my dust cover today and get some more wonderful, theraputic, comforting, soothing, relaxing, grinding done...:rolleyes:

As always, Keep up the great work, hang in there, and best regards,
GT1M

duhmey

Seaman

Glad you are pushing through Judge, I've been lurking and will continue to watch your progress. I'm loving the creativity on the boat and am gaining valuable information as well. Keep up the good work!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Fun day, got to work on the donor hull, getting it cut up and ready to haul off to the dump....they wont take a hull, but will take a pile of fiberglass...go figure!

IMG_3605.jpg

Forgot my respirator....don't forget to let me know how dumb that was...ended up looking like an old dope fiend with white hair and a powdered nose

IMG_3613.jpg

got my brother-in-law involved...he seemed to enjoy it lol

IMG_3609.jpg

Doing what I do best....watching...

IMG_3612.jpg

This is as far as we got in about 2.5 hours...started getting dark so will finish up Wednesday

IMG_3617.jpg

glad we could do it in his back yard....all that dust will just blow/wash away and its out in the country so nobody to complain. was going to do it at my dad's but we had an argument and he told me to go get my boat...family drama...go figure

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know what you mean - family dramas = more dust than cuttin' up boats! Go figure.

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, we are twins today! I looked the same... except mine was from white paint and not fiberglass.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

JDA,

I have a feeling that if your brother-in-law was enjoying himself he has a hidden agenda...

He either wants a glasser to restore...

or he secretly enjoys cutting up glassers and may want to restore a tinny...???

I guess whatever floats his boat...

Have a great day,
GT1M

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I know what you mean - family dramas = more dust than cuttin' up boats! Go figure.

LOL hear that, my father moved about 6 hours from where I live, my sister followed them. for the last 14 years, Thanksgiving has ALWAYS been at my house, sister got Christmas and brother got Easter. He called a few days ago and said since there's 9 of them having to drive up they wanted thanksgiving at their house...I said sorry its at mine, I guess I'm not setting 9 more plates then. So now I got banished from his backyard and wood shop lol!

Hey, we are twins today! I looked the same... except mine was from white paint and not fiberglass.

you didn't have an excuse put on that respirator!

JDA,

I have a feeling that if your brother-in-law was enjoying himself he has a hidden agenda...

He either wants a glasser to restore...

or he secretly enjoys cutting up glassers and may want to restore a tinny...???

I guess whatever floats his boat...

Have a great day,
GT1M

NOOOO, he just sees my vision...id never let a glasser go down like this without a plan! Word of advice, when cutting one up, stick to a grinder...skil saw with same blade grinder had...only bigger, burnt out on us after 30 mins and it was way slower. It was fun though, coulda just went to town with a reciprocating saw, but what fun would that be

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Ohh yeah, got my trailer licensed and titled today...the guy I bought it from was having trouble locating the title, so removed the VIN plate, went and registered it as home-made, got assigned a new VIN that I have to stamp into the frame, and viola new titled trailer....so now i have a 2011 model trailer lol.

I have put about 300 miles on it hauling donor hull between my house, dads house then brother-in-laws house, and I must say it pulls nice...zero sway, bounce or dog-legging. I almost couldn't tell I had a trailer behind me it pulled so smooth

JDA1975

Lieutenant

found this on Craigslist, $50 bucks.....is it worth that, and is there anything I should look at or out for, to make sure it is still good, its 10 gallon aluminum 12"X17"X29", he has all the stuff that goes with it. I am planning to go with a permanat tank in my boat, instead of replacing the portable 6 gallon that it used to have

alumium10galgastank.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Permanent tank is great...I would pressure test it for leaks... also I would sand it down (get rid of any corrosion) and plug up any dents with JB weld.
DO you have a deck fill, filler hose (1-1/2") ? a vent and vent hose (5/8")? A sending unit and gas gauge will also be necessary.. you can test the existing sender with a voltmeter.. should be 35 ohms-241 or something like that as you wiggle it around.

This was mine after I plugged the holes: (JB weld is cheaper than a new tank!!)
I needed a crane to remove mine
Gastank.jpg

Gastank-1.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol, good thing that didn't snap with your bare toes sticking out over the edge where it would fall on em! thanks Z, so ya think 50 bucks is a deal or should i try and talk him down some more...I am all for talking people down, but if I know it is a deal, i would be a lot less aggressive about it lol

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

lol, good thing that didn't snap with your bare toes sticking out over the edge where it would fall on em! thanks Z, so ya think 50 bucks is a deal or should i try and talk him down some more...I am all for talking people down, but if I know it is a deal, i would be a lot less aggressive about it lol

Well, does it include the sender? A new sending unit + gauge is about 70...

If it's in good shape it sounds pretty fair to me... a new tank would be triple that, but I would still offer him maybe 30.. but I'm cheap ;)

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah he said he took it out of a bass boat that he cut up, he kept all the hoses and stuff that was connected to it...I will go check it out and see , thanks

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

yeah he said he took it out of a bass boat that he cut up, he kept all the hoses and stuff that was connected to it...I will go check it out and see , thanks

Yeah, see if you can score the fill cap and the vent too. Tat would be a sweet deal. Filler hose (at its cheapest) is like 7/foot

Decker83

Commander

That is a great find. I would do the pressure test for sure. Needs to hold 3lbs psi. I would be sure to check any of the hoses for cracks or any other signs of damage. Don't want any leaks after it is installed. Some of the old hoses were not made for the alcohol gas.
By the way I looked at some tanks here on i-boats and a 12"x16"x36" tank would hold 27 gallons.

Best I found here in Texas was a 22 gallon tank for $50 and it didn't come with the filler or hose's.
Your work is looking great. Trailer is awesome.
Kent

JDA1975

Lieutenant

He said he has filler hose, thru-hull cap, sending unit, and all that jazz. Looks like he might be mistaken in the capacity, must be more than 10 gallons looking at tanks of comparable size. He lives about 100 miles from me, but is supposed to be driving right by here Saturday so will get it from him then. Worked on the donor hull some more, brother-in-law had a thanksgiving thing today so I had to quit when it got to a point I couldn't do alone. The sides and bottom are about 3/8" thick and the transom was 1/2" thick fiberglass...that boat was built stronger than mine

couldn't flip the bottom back over on my own to cut the deck/stringers away so will finish it on Monday

IMG_3619.jpg

one of the sides

IMG_3620.jpg

pile of little pieces to load up and dump

IMG_3621.jpg

Hey JD, this is fordguy_85 from BBC, and just gotta say that you are THE MAN!!! You have given me the courage to go ahead and cut into mine and fix it up instead of just patching and making do. Keep up the good work, man~!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

hey ford, glad to see ya made it over here...there are a lot of great guys here that can help you a lot, they sure have kept me on the right track

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Judge,

Just wanted to wish you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you eat WAY to much and Take a Big Long Nap to recover!!!