1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

Check out a local RV shop for your trailer parts. There's one local to me that's been invaluable for that type of stuff. My buddy's boat trailer needed and axle and they hooked him up with a custom made (not by them) one with sure-lube hubs for like $220 or something. Overkill for your application but just saying that's the kind of place I'd check.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I like this, reminds me more of the hub system that I used on my 18 wheelers, a lot easier to manage. Now if I can find somewhere close that supplies them, the site doesn't have a list of retailers, so I will call them today.

Same thing I'm thinking,....

I never want to be "that guy" on the side of the road on the way to Canada,.....

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I like this, reminds me more of the hub system that I used on my 18 wheelers, a lot easier to manage. Now if I can find somewhere close that supplies them, the site doesn't have a list of retailers, so I will call them today.

Here is a link to their phone number and email addy,.....

http://www.liqualube.com/liqualube%20website/contactus.htm

aspeck

Staff member

So I have alot more time to work on the boat, but cant post anymore pictures.......More time for boat because its outside next to the dog house....cant post pictures because my computer is not in the dog house!...why am I in the dog house you ask? well put it this way, I just got home from taking the wife to dinner for our 10th Anniversary.....which was yesterday....which i forgot about!

I think you better be getting up off the couch to do a LOT of dishes ... and vacuuming ... and laundry ... and scrubbing the floors ... and cleaning the bathrooms ... and making the bed ... and cooking supper ... and buying some really shiny things ... and treating her like a queen for quite a while! YIKES! The ultimate mistake! Well, that and getting her a dual bag vacuum cleaner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyduncFpzl4

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol, did not realize the dog house was so roomy....its like a man cave! course we could do without all the folding.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Been out there in the dog house, removing rust, lots and lots of rust, and got them ready to prime

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

I am sick of rust. I probably should have started a trailer thread for this instead of adding to my boat thread, but I am just about done now lol. For the green, I found a primer+paint all in one so used it, hope it works ok...just being lazy!

IMG_3512.jpg

So got the green primered, and used a white primer for the tan areas....I couldnt find a tan that matched right, best I could do was an Ivory, I dont think anyone will notice

IMG_3515.jpg

these are primed white will be tan when I am done

IMG_3514.jpg

bartborchardt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good! You must be working 24/7.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Looking good! You must be working 24/7.

There are no clocks in the dog house!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nice, you are just inspiring me to go whole hog...;)

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I try to edit my first post to change my title some let people know what steps I am on, but does not seem to work for me, changes on the page but not in forum list....

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I try to edit my first post to change my title some let people know what steps I am on, but does not seem to work for me, changes on the page but not in forum list....

Mine did that too. You can PM a mod to change it, I believe.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

missed the anniversary?.....

You are toast bud. Did i say toast? What i ment was you are screwed.
You are in worse shape than a 80's bayliner "l" drive in 15 foot seas.
Worse off than a tinny owner with leaky reevits.
Worse off than sbl on a internet forum.
Worse off than a bag of doritos at a "fat farm"
worse off than an enron accountant in a helicopter.

Please feel free to rub this in on the judge guys. :eek::d:d

have a great week bud :p
oops

lol
:D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Axle painted, put back on, have a buddy that is a retired diesel mechanic...he is going to show me how to repack bearings so labor on that is free..yay. Anyhow, to follow my style, I could do nothing simple, so here's the hubs and axle paint.

Hub...ties the green axle into the tan hub (the Ivory spray color, ended up matching pretty close)

IMG_3517.jpg

this side

IMG_3516.jpg

that side

IMG_3519.jpg

really wish it would stop being cloudy...hasn't rained in 2 days, but stays cloudy and looking like it wants to, so I removed my tape on trailer so it doesn't cause trouble. So since I cant finish trailer paint, I went and had some tires and valve stems put on the rims...so I know they hold air before I do anything...they did...here's my next project while i wait on the weather!

IMG_3520.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So, murphy reared his ugly head....less than an hour after I pulled all my tape...sky clears up, checked online not supposed to rain again until monday night....better jump on the paint while I can. So how do you make 2 fenders perfect mirror images of each other...A ton of measurements? NOPE...here's how I ended up doing mine.

Took 2 Soda case boxes (thin cardboard so it will roll around fender) and joined then in the middle. Drew 1 side of the fender on one box.

IMG_3522.jpg

Then I cut the image out, going thru both boxes at once

IMG_3524.jpg

Laid my template on fender and taped it off

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

Then I cut the edges of the tape to release template, and viola, perfect mirror image fender, and use same template on other side of trailer

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

thought my idea might come in handy for someone else should they want to do a graphic on fender

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Did not get any paint done...taping off the transition from the side rails to the fender took a lot longer than I anticipated, almost 2 hours (damn my shaky hands), but I want it to look good so kept at it. Tomorrow ill finish the rail line taping, and paint in the morning!

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Looking forward to seeing the paint. ;)
Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Looking forward to seeing the paint. ;)
Bob

Me too! Been a long time coming, with all the weather set-backs...I really need a shop, so I can keep these things indoors and work when its raining.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Judge, you are Tape Crazy!!!! But it will look awesome when you're done. Got my trailer all wired. Just gotta get the bunks done and fenders mounted and she's DONE!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Judge, you are Tape Crazy!!!! But it will look awesome when you're done. Got my trailer all wired. Just gotta get the bunks done and fenders mounted and she's DONE!!!

Your trailer looks great, I probably should have taken a more minimalist approach to the trailer, but I was bored and let my imagination run, since I couldn't work on boat!

yeah i know I am tape crazy! but since I am painting it, and matching it to boat...I want it to look totally custom, and tape is the only way I can get it to look how I want...I'll say it again, I am relying on you guys to tell me when I have gone too far, because sometimes I let my own creativity go over the top...I really think it is going to look sharp though when it is painted...worse case I guess i could repaint it if I am not happy with it lol.

I am struggling with the wheels...the circle patter just doesn't play into my overall scheme so I don't know what color to paint them. I had considered tan center since hub is tan, then the middle "star" green. and a tan outer ring...what ya think....open to suggestions on this one.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep I think you HAVE to paint the Star GREEN. Tan on the rest. Even thought you ARE tape crazy, You DO have a good eye for style and I do NOT think you are over the top.