1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

JD,
Congrats on the wife getting a better Job.
The lettiering turned out nice. good touch.

Keep it moving I need more to read. LOL :p
Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Kz4zqz, I used the bow eye to hood the front, On the back I put 2X4s behind the transom hook mounting holes, drilled thru and put in the U bolts. I hooked a chain to each one and locked them together at the swivel on the come-along. We flipped by turning it at the bough and letting the stern rotate on the swivel..It took 3 of us, and one wasnt touching it just watching to let me know if the stern looked like it was going to mess up

GT1M, you kinda read my mind...Just a little different...The tape is green, so reverse the colors...tan sections will be green, taped areas will be tan once tape removed.

Heres some pics how I taped it

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

Bob, thanks and I will keep them coming, I got nothing else to do, and as long as my body holds up, and funds are available, I will keep trucking.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

That's gonna look real nice...

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate that. Now I've got it.

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

My hat's off to you Judge. Half the time I don't want to get off the couch because I'm too dang lazy. Excellent job on the project by the way. You're an inspiration.

Dont worry Bart, Tell me you need the dishes done, and I dont get off the couch either!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

How soon after drying can this paint get rained on?...It was dry to the touch about 5pm yesterday, and rained last night around midnight....looks fine, water is beading up on it, just wondering if I should be concerned at all....I did go out last night and tarp all the parts i had taped off so the tape did not get wet, but all my big tarps are used covering the cap so could not cover the entire trailer.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I am just full of questions now...I need to put the Vin/Weight tag back on my trailer, but honestly don't want to put this nasty looking tag on there.

IMG_3496.jpg

Is there any way to make my own that will satisfy any legal requirements....I cannot find any other ID numbers stamped on the frame anywhere, so assume this is the only identification it has.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just a thought...to re-letter that tag, you could look for what are called dry transfer letters, usually available through a local hobby shop or on an internet hobby store...They are used to letter models and are available in many different scales...get the set you need that most closely match what is on there now...apply them to that same tag, or make a new one out of aluminum, re-stamp the model/serial numbers on it with a letter/ number stamping set, usually available real cheap from a place like Harbor Freight, and then spray a coat or two of clear, drill and rivet back on the trailer...somewhat of a project, but should look real good when done...
GT1M

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like GT's idea of stamping out a new plate. But instead of buying a set of stamps visit a local machine shop with your blank and old one and ask if you can use a stamp set and a bench. They might even do it for you. Another option is to call a local printer and follow the leads.

Trailer is looking real sharp. As far as the rain...I don't think it will be a problem but would have been best to cover it the first night. Fagetaboutit.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Stamping a new one is definitely an option, thanks for that input, wasn't sure if I had to buy a specific one, or if creating my own would work.

Would have preferred to cover the entire trailer last night, but I did not have enough tarp, I did tarp the portion with tape though so at least I don't have to re-tape all that.

Anyhow since it is cool and humid (may rain some more) I cant paint and was bored, so took on the task I had been dreading because I am not very mechanically inclined, and honestly made me nervous to take apart a wheel hub. I watched a few videos and set to it. was easier than I thought.

Here's the mess I get to deal with before repainting...Everything has been degreased, except the hard stuff which will come off with the wire wheel during prep. Didn't intend for my extra leg to be in the picture, and if my wife asks tell her "No, he didn't use his socks to clean off grease"! (i have like 50 freaking pairs may as well use em for something!)

IMG_3497.jpg

Axle, lots of rust but should clean up nicely, no cracks or damage so I just have cosmetic work

IMG_3501.jpg

Hubs, again just cosmetic

IMG_3500.jpg

Leaf Springs, LOTS of rust, but again no cracks/damage

IMG_3498.jpg

Box of goodies....all the bearings seem to be in good shape, will be buying new seals and bearing buddies, ohhh and a cotter pin...one of the castle nuts was held on by a bent nail...go figure

IMG_3499.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

UHHH Judge,
I hope you you made a note of which bearing belongs to which hub or you might as well replace them, because putting them back in the wrong race, MAY cause them to fail prematurely...different wear patterns being what they are... If you need to replace the bearings, clean the races, that's the part of the bearing that is pressed into the hubs, real good and look at them real close, if they are still shiny and new looking, with no discernible wear or discoloration, you can leave them in there and just replace the bearings after packing them with new bearing grease. If, however the races are showing any wear, they should be replaced also, since they come with the new bearings anyway...worst case scenario, take them to a "friendly" local grease monkey and he should be able to bang out the old races and install the new ones for about 10-15 bucks per hub... Then with new grease, bearings and bearing buddies installed, you should be good to go for many, many years and many, many miles...
GT1M

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Don't hate on the bent brad method!! :D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

UHHH Judge,
I hope you you made a note of which bearing belongs to which hub or you might as well replace them, because putting them back in the wrong race, MAY cause them to fail prematurely...different wear patterns being what they are... If you need to replace the bearings, clean the races, that's the part of the bearing that is pressed into the hubs, real good and look at them real close, if they are still shiny and new looking, with no discernible wear or discoloration, you can leave them in there and just replace the bearings after packing them with new bearing grease. If, however the races are showing any wear, they should be replaced also, since they come with the new bearings anyway...worst case scenario, take them to a "friendly" local grease monkey and he should be able to bang out the old races and install the new ones for about 10-15 bucks per hub... Then with new grease, bearings and bearing buddies installed, you should be good to go for many, many years and many, many miles...
GT1M

LOL dangit, I knew My mechanically UNinclined self would screw something up!....After I get it all painted I will just take the axle and hubs to a mechanic and have him install new bearing and grease and get it road worthy for me.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So I have alot more time to work on the boat, but cant post anymore pictures.......More time for boat because its outside next to the dog house....cant post pictures because my computer is not in the dog house!...why am I in the dog house you ask? well put it this way, I just got home from taking the wife to dinner for our 10th Anniversary.....which was yesterday....which i forgot about!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

The only thing I can say is, you are lucky if she lets you sleep in the dog house. Mine would burn the doghouse and my boat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

missed the anniversary?.....

you are toast bud. did i say toast? what i ment was you are screwed.
you are in worse shape than a 80's bayliner "L" drive in 15 foot seas.
worse off than a tinny owner with leaky reevits.
worse off than SBL on a internet forum.
worse off than a bag of doritos at a "fat farm"
worse off than an Enron accountant in a helicopter.

please feel free to rub this in on the judge guys. :eek::D:D

have a great week bud :p
oops

JDA1975

Lieutenant

LOL, yeah rub it in boys...make it hurt so I remember next year...course next year I will be out fishing so I will have a better excuse!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

LOL dangit, I knew My mechanically UNinclined self would screw something up!....After I get it all painted I will just take the axle and hubs to a mechanic and have him install new bearing and grease and get it road worthy for me.

This is what I am planning on next time I think I need to do the bearings,...

http://www.liqualube.com/

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Next year you may be "in the same boat" as that guy in the commercial. You may get to meet her new boyfriend when you DO come in.:D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

This is what I am planning on next time I think I need to do the bearings,...

http://www.liqualube.com/

I like this, reminds me more of the hub system that I used on my 18 wheelers, a lot easier to manage. Now if I can find somewhere close that supplies them, the site doesn't have a list of retailers, so I will call them today.