Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

GOOD NEWS!!!!

Now Get to Work!!!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Been working!..my trailer looks cool, still have to flip it, but was keeping myself busy with stuff that didnt cost money lol

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Great news! and cool pumpkin!! :D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Well, thanks to a good friend of mine...Mr. Come A. Long, I got trailer flipped over today all by myself...so painting the top is a go....

my friend is pretty photogenic, and helpful...a man's best friend second only to his dog!

IMG_3470.jpg

Anyhow, I made a major mistake, and I am not so sure I like the stripe transition anymore....when I taped it off, I taped it like I wanted the top to look, silly me that was the bottom!

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

Turns out the cradle is a good height for getting boat back on to trailer.,..wasn't planned but I will take credit for that later.

IMG_3471.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I think you'll be pleased with how it looks once you get the boat on there. Congrats on getting her flipped. now the fun starts :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Actually the only one that really knows what it was supposed to look like is you. It still looks pretty good.
As for the trailer and the cradle. I refer to an old saying. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. :p lol
Regardless of the intent it still looks good.

Bob

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Nice job on the trailer, the pumpkin, and the financial situation...
Godspeed,
GT1M

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Decided it might look more like a custom job if I kept the trailer branded, so I looked everywhere for a LifeTime trailer sticker to order, to no avail, then decided to try and paint my lettering on. took over an hour with my unsteady hands and my favorite lady...Mary....that's what I named my Xacto knife, Bloody Mary! anyhow here's the tape off I did. Hope it works, it will change color where it overlaps other colors, think that might look nifty

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nice!!! Been working on my trailer some. Should have some pics this weekend. You are Shaming me!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I just have a lot more time to over think things and do stuff that is not only unnecessary but probably a little over the top. This was just a little last minute idea that I had. I am still toying with ideas of how to tie my paint scheme into my fenders...that is playing tricky for me. The idea I did have would end up with the back end of trailer being green again and I am not sure I want to do that so trying to find another way. you'll know when i figure it out lol

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

That's really cool.

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about that unsteady hand ..... looks pretty good to me.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

the unsteady hand is why it took me over an hour to cut that...every time i went to do a cut and my hand started shaking I had to stop and wait lol, but thats just life in my shoes! Anyhow I removed the center strip, once the green is cured enough to tape over I'll do the beige part of the letters....the green part came out pretty straight, enough I won't complain.

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

I actually used a technique someone posted earlier in that I painted just a small amount along the outline of the words to "seal" the tape, although, I did not want to let the paint cure fully before I removed tape, so it wasn't hard and "tore" with the tape.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

It's the little details that really make the project come together... You have no idea how long I spent making my damned horn.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So the two sides turned out pretty close to same, some minor touch up but happy with it overall...I had to put a little rush on it, because I had a small amount of tan paint left with hardener in it already and it was starting to go bad. I am definitely going to clear coat over the letters

Right Side
IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

Left Side

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man!! Way to go, Judge. But I think you need to find a job. You've got way too much time on your hands. After following your restoration I don't think I'm posting any more pics. Keep up the good work! I do have one question ... how did you flip the boat? or did I miss that post?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I flipped my hull using 2 come-alongs (first time was 1 come along and a rope, but second time i beefed it up) secured via a couple eye bolts thru my rafters. Raised it up high enough and rotated it...Heres where i Posted pictures, the rafter stiffening was an earlier post

As far as getting a Job, well I would love to, but People dont hire people like me, at any time I could be back in bed for months at a time. Over the past few years I have almost kicked the bucket 3 times and a few months of being 100% bed bound. But that doesnt stop me when I am feeling good, I do as much as I can.

bartborchardt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My hat's off to you Judge. Half the time I don't want to get off the couch because I'm too dang lazy. Excellent job on the project by the way. You're an inspiration.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tnx Judge, i had seen the pics but wasn't sure how you got from point A to point B. I was thinking if I used a 3/4" pipe inserted into the transom drain and a rope in the bow eye it would almost try to flip itself. Anyway, its about time for me to flip mine so we'll see how it goes.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Love that trailer lettering job! Way to go...:D

Just an idea for your fenders...see the attachment...
GT1M

PS- sorry the color isn't an exact match...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 82 skeeter fender.jpg
    82 skeeter fender.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0