1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

OK, so I am ready to reveal my master plan to satisfy my wife's choice of a green trailer, and my friends on here that prefer the light colored trailer. It turned out better than i thought it would.

left side:

IMG_3279.jpg

right side:

IMG_3281.jpg

I did not go much farther than my transition point because I am going to use the theme to tie in the fenders and it will be easier to do from the top

IMG_3278.jpg

The pictures don't do it complete justice because what started as a bright sunny, good for painting day...started to look like it was going to rain so I called a few people and we moved it out of the rain as best we could

IMG_3280.jpg

Anyhow that's my idea for giving the trailer some character...matching boat...and satisfying everyone's color choice! Frome green trailer with tan strip to tan trailer with green stripe...who woulda thunk it

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

That looks BADASS. I might try to make mine blue and white to match the boat. It's really giving it some character.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks Zopperman, I wasn't sure how it would turn out, hence not wanting to share the idea til I could see it for myself, if it looked ugly I would have repainted it lol. I just enjoy making things look unique to me, I don't want to see 2 more boats that look just like mine at the lake!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

OK, it turned out pretty good. I think your compromise should meet all the requirements. LOL :p
After all the only folks you really need to please is you and the wife.
Looks Good,

Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol Bob this is what happens when you try to please everyone...you end up with a trailer that is confused about its own identity. Appreciate the compliment, and your input...I later found out my wife didnt want it green...she just said that because she knows my favorite color is green and assumed that is what I wanted to hear.... It is all good though, as it made a more interesting trailer by trying to satisfy my own want of a lighter trailer (especially after i saw my winch painted all green (which looks good on the green part of the trailer and will be getting some stripes as well)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

You earned the complement,
I can rarely even please myself, ao I don't try to please everyone and besides I hate to fail. LOL :p
I have picked out my color scheme for my boat too. The base will be just plain white. The color will come later with the graphics.
Your boat and trailer are turning out nice.
Keep it rolling

Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So...after an hour and thirty minutes of taping..I came to a conclusion...I am going to buy some pinstriping, even if it is a little off on the color because I only got one side taped, and still have some fine tuning to do on some of the corners....theres 3 more sides left and I am annoyed with it

IMG_3284.jpg

as you can see some of the corners need cuts/fills still

IMG_3285.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

hahaha it's a cool design. Pin stripes are the way to go...

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey Judge ..... You get an A+ for creativity. You've come a long way since sanding out that swarm of moths that attacked you hull ..... LoL. Nice job looks great!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Hey Judge ..... You get an A+ for creativity. You've come a long way since sanding out that swarm of moths that attacked you hull ..... LoL. Nice job looks great!!!

I am probably missing something of an inside joke, with the swarm of moths...but I do recognize a compliment none the less, so thank you very much lol

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Ohh duh, NM...swarm of moths...I got ya

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Hull question

just be glad you live in Ohio...think one of my neighbors told her husband I was outside painting in late evening...and a moth flying around her porch light heard her, so he called all his friends and they called all theirs, and all of them came and landed on my wet paint! kinda the reason i did first coat in the evening so i can sand them critters off and do second coat during the day when they are hiding.....arkansas bugs bug me, wishing i had a closed garage!

Arkansas bugs ....

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's what I do in that kinda situation with painting, Cover the whole thing in tape. Then apply store bought pinstripe in the size you want. Then cut out, using a razor knife, the pinstripe with the tape underneath. Now you have you perfect place to paint your perfect color choice pinstripe. Just a lite coat of clear coat to seal it including where the knive blade was pressed down.

Another way, of course at this stage you can't, paint the item in your pinstripe color. Then lay adhesive pinstripe over the area where you want your pinstripe to stay, then paint the item with your background color. Now remove your adhesive stripe and your custom color stripe is there underneath with no cutting.

clintbeastwood

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking good man! Im working 3rd shift just read the whole thread. The trailer is even gone be cool!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Here's what I do in that kinda situation with painting, Cover the whole thing in tape. Then apply store bought pinstripe in the size you want. Then cut out, using a razor knife, the pinstripe with the tape underneath. Now you have you perfect place to paint your perfect color choice pinstripe. Just a lite coat of clear coat to seal it including where the knive blade was pressed down.

Another way, of course at this stage you can't, paint the item in your pinstripe color. Then lay adhesive pinstripe over the area where you want your pinstripe to stay, then paint the item with your background color. Now remove your adhesive stripe and your custom color stripe is there underneath with no cutting.

very good ideas, the second option is how I did my boats pin stripe, but poor planning on the winch, so that's not an option, like ya said...I can lay my frog tape then use my 1/4" blue fine line tape as a pinstripe and cut it out...thanks for that idea. I really wanted to paint it so the colors match well.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Getting packed up for a weekend camping trip with my little cub scout....Am excited to see him get to do this, but not looking forward to being out in the woods, with no paved path....While I can walk with crutches, slowly and not really far....wheel chairs don't like dirt! So i should enjoy that....OK..honest reason I don't want to go...I can't get my Iboats fix! So talk at ya all Sunday afternoon.

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your welcome for the tip. I do get alot out of watching American Choppers! That painter Nubbie for JR. is the man. He can paint anything. I just adapted my idea from something close to what he did but it looks like something that would really be your way to go. Saves alot of time which I can see may be driving you bonkers on just a trailer part. But, I like your style in keeping every single part top notch.
Good going!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Disclaimer: has absolutely nothing to do with boats! but I like sharing my badly done adventures in creative thinking!

Haven't had a chance to do anything to boat or trailer, since I had scout camping trip this weekend, but I did do one project...unfortunately I could not find an Ipumpkin.com forum, so my pumpkin project didn't come out like I planned!

My son wanted Mario on his pumpkin so Only way i could think to do was to carve it, into, the pumpkin and let the depth of cuts show different brightness and hopefully create a pic of mario...not the best job...

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Wife found a new job, and got an extra couple bucks an hour to boot...so project is officially back on! Hated to put it off, but with the news she got, its better to hold off than to put yourself into a bind...updates to come shortly!