1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Hey Judge, things are looking good man. I just finished primeing my trailer today as a mater of fact. I think I'm going to use E-Coat in the rattle cans for my axle and springs. We use it at work when the frames have to be rewelded and stuff. I used wire wheels for both on the drill and angle grinder. Sometimes one would get to spots better than the other. Sometimes the drill was a little more safe to use.:) Also used regular electric sander on the beams.

View attachment 119528View attachment 119520

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Hey Judge, things are looking good man. I just finished primeing my trailer today as a mater of fact. I think I'm going to use E-Coat in the rattle cans for my axle and springs. We use it at work when the frames have to be rewelded and stuff. I used wire wheels for both on the drill and angle grinder. Sometimes one would get to spots better than the other. Sometimes the drill was a little more safe to use.:) Also used regular electric sander on the beams.

View attachment 119528View attachment 119520

Dang attachments....lol they aint working...I used my wire brush attachment on beams to reduce the loose paint/rust before sanding, thanks for recommendation of spring paint, I was just worried as much as they move it might crack the paint, so wasnt sure

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

I'm trying to catch up to you Judge, but this dang sanding is killing me! Ha! Actually, I'm going to take a bit different route and prep/paint both the hull and trailer together. Since I am spraying instead of rolling, I figured the least amount of tool cleanup would be in my best interest. Looking good on your progress, though! Seeing you move along gives me the motivation to stay a step behind you. ;)

duhmey

Seaman

fmjnax... congrats on the marriage bud!

Judge... the boat is looking awesome! I am glad you are doing all of this before me because I am learning alot, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

I'm off to read Wood's thread as it is referenced quite often here...buh bye

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I'm trying to catch up to you Judge, but this dang sanding is killing me! Ha! Actually, I'm going to take a bit different route and prep/paint both the hull and trailer together. Since I am spraying instead of rolling, I figured the least amount of tool cleanup would be in my best interest. Looking good on your progress, though! Seeing you move along gives me the motivation to stay a step behind you. ;)

Just don't rush the sanding....sanding gel coat/primer is easy....sanding off 2 coats of hardened enamel to get rid of orange peel because earlier prep was inadequate sucks! your boats looking good!

fmjnax... congrats on the marriage bud!

Judge... the boat is looking awesome! I am glad you are doing all of this before me because I am learning alot, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

I'm off to read Wood's thread as it is referenced quite often here...buh bye

thanks Doh, woods thread is a wealth of info, it is worth reading..well looking at the pictures anyways!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I got some color on the parts...yay! the yay excitement ended pretty quick though once i had some people come and flip my trailer...prepping the top went easy enough but wow, that's a lot of rust! Oh yeah..the Admiral as you all call em...said she wanted green trailer..so green it...guess shes letting me make all the boat decisions I"ll give her that much!

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry about the picture post there Judge. Its been awile. It was just pictures of my trailer anyway.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

No problems Jitterbug, that's why i started using photobucket, reliability of picture posts lol. Anyhow, 6 hours of prep and priming later, the bottom isn't quite so scary, needs second primer coat, then i will paint the bottom, I got all the edges that I wont be able to see from the top.

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

You're making me think about how much it's going to suck to repaint my trailer... :eek:

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I told you lighter is better. LOL :D
All that sanding doesn't sound like the kind of fun I want to experience. I think I'm going to cheat and either sand blast mine myself or get it done locally.
NIce work

Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah, but the wife really wants more green, so I've come up with a plan that I think will satisfy both, holding off on telling y'all until I see it for myself and decide if it looks good lol

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

yeah, but the wife really wants more green, so I've come up with a plan that I think will satisfy both, holding off on telling y'all until I see it for myself and decide if it looks good lol

As long as there will be as many pics as there have been, I can wait!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

and now restoring boats!!

No really, just good at pictures...you should see it up close, you'd change your mind lol....Anyhow, thought I would share a time saver I found...On the top I used a standard round wheel wire brush attachment for rust/loose paint, and it was quite some work, anyways the wheel was getting worn out so I went to get another. Found the cone one pictured and it made things way easier...also picked up a little one for tight spots. The cone fit perfectly inside the C channel.

IMG_3270.jpg

Did a second primer coat, this coat was 50% primer and 50% Color, I am hoping with this I can get away with a single color coat since it is the bottom...chime in if its a bad idea

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

And yes if your wondering why there is a chair in almost every picture I take...its because I am just that lazy! Nah, its hard to paint when your using crutches...and I don't want to get paint on my wheel chair!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Very Nice Work. Your dedication and perserverance are commendable. Wish I was closer to lend a hand.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Very Nice Work. Your dedication and perserverance are commendable. Wish I was closer to lend a hand.

It's only 5 hours! lol...You do need to come for the splash though...I don't have a camera and they only like video! Thanks Wood

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ya, know, I just might do that. Would be a nice road trip for me and the MRS. that is if she's still speakin to me by then.:eek:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol, well if she isn't talking to ya, then I guess you wouldn't need to ask! just messing, Got my final tan color coat on, no pictures because, well, it just doesn't look any different then the colored primer, and also if your eyes are good it would give away my master plan which i think you all will like. I drew it out on paper for my wife and it looks better than I had in my head.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I was doing some pondering, as I stared at my rotten bunk boards...and I was thinking, what if I fiberglass my bunk boards before carpeting and installing....would water get in....is this a bad idea...