1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

LOL, just because your in school and bored, doesnt meant I want to do it twice!!! Thanks Zopperman, now go read a book!
:p

I should be writing a paper right now :eek:

Keep up the pics so I can be distracted!!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

JD,
It really turned out nice. Great idea with the graphics.
Now, Get to glassing. :D:p
Great job.
Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

thanks bob and wood, Glass will be a while coming, maybe even wait til tax return time, My boat has just fallen victim to the failing economy. My wife works 12 hour shifts, 36 hours one week, then 48 hours the next, so her checks end up being for 84 hours 8 of which are overtime. Her employer decided they dont want to pay the nurses overtime anymore, so instead of giving them 8 hour shifts, and stopping them at 40 hours, they just cut one day from the long week, now shes only going to get 36 hours a week, so 72 hours on her check...we are losing 12 hours, 8 of which used to be overtime, adds up to around 500 bucks a month, which is pretty much all of our play money. What a crappy deal, so now shes looking to see if anyone else is hiring because that's just going to hurt, thats like a 20% hit...anyhow til things get back on track or I get my tax return, there she will sit, shiny pile of junk!

bartborchardt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JD,

Sorry to hear about your wife's work situation. It still seems as though things are getting worse and not better. At least in my business it is. I can't afford to buy all my fiberglass at one time. I have to buy it a little at a time. It is more expensive that way but at least I'm still working on it. If I didn't have my boat to work on I think I would go crazy. For some of us it's satisfaction, for others it's therapy. I guess it's a little of both for me. Don't give up just yet. There's always another way.

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

Dang Judge! I leave for a couple of week to go and get myself hitched and come back to see major progress on your boat. I really love the paint scheme! I wasn't sure about it at first, but it turned out great.

I'm sorry to hear about the job situation, though. I'm kind of in the same spot after trying to recoup from weddings costs, new trucks costs, and while my wife is in between jobs, but I'm just nickle-and-dime'ing it. Progress is at a snails pace, but $20 here and $20 there is keeping me moving/building up supply stock. I'm a smoker, but I've managed to cut out a few packs every couple of weeks and turn that money around into my boat fund. Same thing with the booze; instead of buying a 30 pack for 2 weeks, I knocked it down to a 6-pack or two and turned the remaining into my boat fund. Not the most ideal way, but like I said, it's keeping me moving at least a little bit.

Anyway, I'm diggin' the progress and hopefully you will be able to keep moving shortly!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I am definitely not giving up on it! It's just being paused for now, I will continue to work on what I can. Got things like the trailer paint, outboard paint, etc. to work on while I figure it out. The old neighbor across the street, was listening to me complain and he said well if its funds you need, we have funds...I may think about taking him up on that loan, sign the boat over to him with condition to pay him back (he didn't ask for this but I wouldn't consider it without something in writing to protect his interest.) So that's one possible option. I think he enjoys building this as much as I do and doesn't want to pause either.

Anyhow, I solved to major problems I had today, First I forgot to figure in the wheel and wheel base when I picked my cradle height, so The hull is just a tad too high for my step stool to be a safe entry point (with my disability I have horrible balance, its probably fine for you all). So i pulled out a nifty ladder and it works pretty securely.

IMG_3243.jpg

It really is the world's greatest ladder!

IMG_3244.jpg

Secondly, I had no way to safely lock my wheels, and it rolls super easy, so I had to solve that. I tried putting a block in front of it, but since they turn they could rotate free. So i made some locks out of a peice of ply with a hole that accommodates the wheel.

IMG_3246.jpg

I placed two, one on the front and one on the back, and its locked in solid now, feel safer inside it.

IMG_3245.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Dang Judge! I leave for a couple of week to go and get myself hitched and come back to see major progress on your boat. I really love the paint scheme! I wasn't sure about it at first, but it turned out great.

Was wondering where you disappeared to, I have been penny pinching this boat myself, but honestly the deck is where its gone cost the most at one time, so this was the worse time for it to happen. But, this too shall pass, not the first time life has thrown a wrench in my gears. I will go nuts without something to do once I run out of the little stuff, but maybe by then everything will be back to normal!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Going to use my left over top-side paint to do my trailer, figure it will work ok, but i don't think brushing the outboard will work out well. What do ya all recommend for outboard, that comes in a rattle can? (i don't have a sprayer)

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Rusto industrial enamel?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Are we talking about the Cowling, the tail shaft What? Material? Fiberglass cowling? Aluminum Tail Shaft? Both? I know, I know, I'm a Pest!!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

planned to paint it all, Cowling is Fiberglass, Midsection and Lower Unit are Aluminum, there is also a part just below engine housing that looks to be plastic (some kind of collar). I would like to find a paint that closely matches my current colors, though in a rattle can I wont have many options. I am going to remove it from the tilt controls and spray that then do everything from cowling to lower unit. plan to remove the screws/bolts I am able to as I go and paint those separately then replace them when the other paint dries. I am just not sure which paint to use for this. I assume that the cowling gets warm so do I need to use a high temp paint? And wood your not a pest, just a nuisance! Kidding, of course, I don't mind answering questions that point me in the direction of a proper job, because I doubt i will want to redo this again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check out SEM spray paint products. They have paint matching for Outboards. All aluminum that is sanded to BARE with need to be primed with Self Etching Primer. Your Cowling Should NOT get that hot. If it does you got problems!!!! Krylons new Fusion Paint for plastics is darn good stuff. I actually painted some plastic lawn furniture with the stuff and it has held up pretty well. I know of two iBoaters that have used it with excellent results on their cowlings. I used the SEM spray paint to match my Aluminum Leg on my 1962 Evinrude. I really liked the results. I'll try and post some pics when I get home. In Kansas city till tomorrow afternoon.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

OK, so use the krylon fusion for cowling and collar, then the SEM for all the aluminum parts...will the 2 different brands colors match up? I plan to use the deep green color on my outboard, to bring some green to the back and I also like the look of a darker colored outboard, will do some graphics with the tan to tie into my color scheme. I can handle the colors on outboard being slightly different then the boats, but I don't want the 2 parts of outboard not to match up with each other if I can avoid it!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I'd have to say getting all these small pieces prepped and primed took longer than it is going to take for the whole trailer probably... there was a lot of rust to remove here

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Oh Yeah, I remember that!!!! Stood in front of the old wire wheel grinder for several hours getting rid of all the rust on my trailer parts. Glad that's over for You and Me both.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Oh Yeah, I remember that!!!! Stood in front of the old wire wheel grinder for several hours getting rid of all the rust on my trailer parts. Glad that's over for You and Me both.

I used a wire wheel attachment on my drill, ran drill with right hand and held items with my left, lucky for me i have 100% nerve damage in my left, because that wire wheel kept hitting it and it is all cut up lol, dont try that at home kiddos! The trailer itself will be mostly sanding to ruff/scuff, start that tomorrow while next coat dries, I broke the little plastic grease cap off one of my hubs, not real sure what kind of trouble that is going to create. Has anyone had any luck with painting their leaf springs?

excuse my confused train of thinking, already took my good night meds, and am a lil loopy.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, take a look at my thread. Good old rustoleum Black Glossy and they look brand new!!!! You can get bearing buddy caps for your trailer at Harbor Freight for $15 bucks.

image_13140.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

lol wood, keep on referencing your thread and eventually I will read it all the way through! I've read a lot, but i actually end up skimming and looking at pictures more than I do reading them. If a picture catches my eye I will read around that that for a while ...Ill try and read yours more

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

errrr trailer rust!!! haha hate it just got done with is myself

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OK, so use the krylon fusion for cowling and collar, then the SEM for all the aluminum parts...will the 2 different brands colors match up? I plan to use the deep green color on my outboard, to bring some green to the back and I also like the look of a darker colored outboard, will do some graphics with the tan to tie into my color scheme. I can handle the colors on outboard being slightly different then the boats, but I don't want the 2 parts of outboard not to match up with each other if I can avoid it!

I think I'd just try and stay with the SEM products. They are excellent "Can" paint. Should work well on the housing and leg both.