1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

aspeck

Staff member
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

Very nice job! I like your design. And for the trailer, my vote would be green with tan trim (will hide dirt and eventual rust better, IMO).

dynatrak176ss

Recruit

I second the green with tan trim, looks nice and shiney, nice color combo.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey, Ya Dun Rite Good, DUDE!!!!!! The Green is great! Design is Great!!! Shine is Blinding!!!! Use a puttly knife as a guide separator to keep the paint off the lines.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Very nice job! I like your design. And for the trailer, my vote would be green with tan trim (will hide dirt and eventual rust better, IMO).

Thanks, I think green is what I really was hoping people would say, because I like green!

I second the green with tan trim, looks nice and shiney, nice color combo.

Appreciate that, and I think so as well on the green!

Hey, Ya Dun Rite Good, DUDE!!!!!! The Green is great! Design is Great!!! Shine is Blinding!!!! Use a puttly knife as a guide separator to keep the paint off the lines.

Thanks again Wood, appreciate everything you've done to help. Its not as good close-up...just don't tell anyone! So here's my latest question. When I sand down the runs (after a few weeks of cure time, I want them solid all the way through) Using a polishing compound will bring back the same shine it already has? or do I need to sand then touch up, then polish? Also how do you feel about a Clearcoat...to help protect the pinstripes?

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey JDA ...... That looks great. I was trying to picture it when you had it taped off but now that the green is on it sure looks good. Nice job!!

I vote for green with tan on the trailer.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

It's funny, my first thought was the green too, but after thinking about it I think I like lighter colored trailers better.
Hummmmm, one thing about it, if you go one way with the trailer and don't like it, you can always repaint it.
Good luck.
Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

It's funny, my first thought was the green too, but after thinking about it I think I like lighter colored trailers better.
Hummmmm, one thing about it, if you go one way with the trailer and don't like it, you can always repaint it.
Good luck.
Bob

LOL gee thanks Bob! I think I have done volunteered myself for enough works I dont want to repaint it! just kidding, I think either way would look good, but i was just torn between doing tan trailer with green pinstripe and bunk carpet, keeping with boat theme, or green trailer with tan stripe/carpet to contrast the boat. The entire cap will be tan, plan on doing green floor (carpet or roll on non-slip, still debating this one with myself) plan to do tan seats with green center stripes. so its going to be tan heavy on boat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

When I sand down the runs (after a few weeks of cure time, I want them solid all the way through) Using a polishing compound will bring back the same shine it already has? or do I need to sand then touch up, then polish? Also how do you feel about a Clearcoat...to help protect the pinstripes?

Polishing should make it all blend back great. Might need some light touch up but doubt it. I'm not big on it. Has a tendency to chip and peel and yellow. Also makes touch ups harder. With the shine I got and with a quarterly polishing, I'm pretty sure mine and yours will maintain the shine we want.

Decker83

Commander

The green looks super sharp. Your color scheme is great.
I kinda like the trailer on the tan side and pin stirped with the green. I think your trailer painted green would stand out really strong.
All the rest of the scheme sounds awesome.

Kent

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thank you all for your input and opinions, it helped me solidify my ideas. I will go tan with the green pin-striping and keep it with the boats scheme. Appreciate all the compliments, it makes me feel good! Even the wife seems to have a more positive outlook on my project now. think she can see the idea...destruction mode is over lol. I will keep you all posted, next major step (stringer/deck replacement) wont happen til probably December, so the progress will slow a little, may work on my wiring and some cap modifications til then. Thanks again, without the support of this forum I would not be this far along.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had bad luck with Rustoleum clear coat. I'm with Wood, don't do it.

Jbird5363

Cadet

Jd that boat is looking great. I'm about to pass through your part of the world from Texarkana to Branson.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks, I'm actually on the eastern side of the state though closer to Missouri boot heel, about 3 hours or so east of Branson.

OK, so I went to the body shop supply store, and checked their resin prices, he had originally said it was going to be close to 50 a gallon, so I said to him I can get a 5 gallon for around 120 from US Composites and he told me OK, 115 for 5 gallon pail, he rarely sells those so didnt think to quote me a 5 gallon price.

As far as cloth and CSM goes, he doesnt get many roll orders so what he has are 36" X 12' pieces @ 12 bucks, so ~ 3 bucks a yard, I think it is going to cost me a lot more that route, so I asked him to call his supplier and see if he can get 60" wide and add short yardage rolls into one of his orders, that way I don't have to pay shipping and ill pay him a little more than it costs him, so I can support local business and get what I need at same time...will know Monday.

This next part has me nervous, I have never done fiberglass work and even with a guru on call, I could still mess it up...we shall see soon enough

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You'll mess it up!!!! At first, but then, once you get use to it, you'll get better and better. By the time the first stringer is done, you'll be a pro. See if he sells Glass rollers... They look like this...
images

Should cost about $10 to 15 dollars. You'll also need couple of gallons of cabosil and a lb of 1/4" chopped fibers.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah...you know i say road trip!..its only 5 hours and I am the best supervisor...I watch really good!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

ohh yeah wood your not the guru i have on call either lol...dont panic! I have a friend who builds custom experimental aircraft and he can work a mean fiberglass.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

OK, so the boat hit a new milestone today, it is no longer a shiny turtle, cradle works as planned i walked around all over in it and the hull did not move or flex at all, its ready for the next step, building stringers and deck, yay! Anyhow, here are the pictures.

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

That looks awesome!!!!!! You'll be fine with the fiberglass. If you mess up, you can always grind it down and start again :D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

That looks awesome!!!!!! You'll be fine with the fiberglass. If you mess up, you can always grind it down and start again :D

LOL, just because your in school and bored, doesnt meant I want to do it twice!!! Thanks Zopperman, now go read a book!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm really likin that paint job. Cradle is nice too!!!