1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

Some have used that site. Not heard any bad reviews, I'd price EVERYTHNIG out individually, get a shipping quote and order materials from the best price w shipping vendor.

US Comp is going to be near the best on most stuff, esp resin, but you might find glass or supplies cheaper elsewhere.

I priced that site, and know they run sales pretty often.

Nothing says you've got to get it all from 1 place...

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I will be doing some more checking for sure. Thanks jbcurt00.

jbcurt00

Staff member

My glass order will be split between 2 vendors. US Comp & another. The non-hazmat shipping was less from another supplier.

Before I order any resin, I'm going to touch base w/ Carmen, GT1M's resin hookup. If she can ship 15+/-gals of resin, she'll definitely get consideration. You can PM GT or I about her contact info. To Utah, I doubt she'll save you any money. Shipping will likely be more to then it is to me.. But until you check, who knows.............

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree 100%....I don't remember exactly what GT1M (Gus) paid for his resin, but I remember going WOW! You have got to be kidding me? LOL. It is too bad that some of the Iboaters that live close together could schedule and purchase 55 gallon drums of the stuff, meet someplace and divide it up. LOL. I would drive 50 to 100 miles to get the price that Gus paid. And I agree about getting the glass etc. wherever you could get the best price. I haven't seen anyone else mention it about the CSM or the 1708, so let me. Make sure that whoever you purchase the glass from ships it "rolled" up and not folded and shoved into a box. If they say they roll it and it shows up folded and in a box, I would refuse the shipment. If they tell you it won't hurt the glass, I would look elsewhere. I don't believe you want the glass creased/folded. Just my opinon.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I haven't seen anyone else mention it about the CSM or the 1708, so let me. Make sure that whoever you purchase the glass from ships it "rolled" up and not folded and shoved into a box. If they say they roll it and it shows up folded and in a box, I would refuse the shipment. If they tell you it won't hurt the glass, I would look elsewhere. I don't believe you want the glass creased/folded. Just my opinon.
Some thing else to remember is to try to deal w/ reputable sellers. Some have received discolored glass, or glass that won't wet out 'correctly' and were sent replacement glass. Discolored is often a sign that the glass has gotten wet, and when that happens or it doesn't wet out correctly, the glass doesn't take resin as well as it should, or does so very poorly. Either way, it's not as strong a bond or layup as it should be, and that's not good either.....

Meeting a guy in a parking lot somewhere to buy cut-offs or end of roll lots, for a great price off CL, isn't a bargain when you run into problems.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Fiberglassite is in Maryland. Shipping all the way to Maryland will be more expensive than from Washington St. where the company I previously posted is located. One of our PRO members who is no longer active used to use this vendor a lot in the past and their products and prices are quite good. Unless you find someone local in Utah, I doubt you can do much better than the guys at Fiberglass Supply (Surfboards, Windsurfers, Kayaks, Canoes, Boats , Autos and more)

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, and I would get the actual surfboard laminating resin. Being a first timer, but a discriminating one, I've used 3 different kinds of resin within a manufacturer's line and they were all distinctively different. The Fiberlay P19 Surfboard laminating resin I used layed 1708 over 90 degree corners. The Fiberlay P17 isophthalic laminating resin was so terrible in comparison that I almost stomped bunnies. You could of used it as a foam replacement with all the air trapped in it. The P16 ortho premium high performance laminating resin was a good in between and pretty luscious. No brand loyalty here, just curious on how a generic "boatyard resin" stacks up to some of the others.

What are you doing for the exterior? Gelcoat or epoxy repairs and paint. Hope you're feeling better!!!

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again all for the advice. All of the info has been great. I will make sure it's rolled. I will keep looking for somewhere local but not much luck so far. From what I have seen so far and from what you guys are telling me, the resin is probably going to be the most expensive single purchase for the stage that I'm in. Unless I was looking at the wrong stuff, the 1708 isn't too bad and the 1.5 oz shouldn't be too bad either. Is csm a brand name or a spec? I am having a bit of a time getting that one figured out.
Thanks jc. I am feeling better. It this point I am planning on using gelcoat. But I still dont know for sure. Any suggestions?

Hey guys meet the newest member of the family. We adopted him on the 22nd. He doesn't have a name yet but he's pretty dang cool. I had forgotton how much puppies have to be looked after if you don't want to have everything destroyed!:eek:

DSC_0053.JPG

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

maryhannaj your going thru exactly what i was going thru lol in terms of figuring out the fiberglass and names and terms. enough to give you a headache ehh.

I did figure out and you all may correct me if im wrong CSM is chop strand mat and comes in different oz weights, 1.5 oz is csm hehe i was getting all that stuff confused when i started.

thats why all these awesome people are here

Also as woodonglass corrected and recommended several things to me i was always over thinking supplies. At one point i was ready to buy a gallon of hardener and he let me know it was to much ect.

I also went thru the same thing you are in where to get the stuff and shipping ect.

i am lucky i had two choices both right in Toronto (2 hours away) one was slightly cheaper than the other on about half of the things i needed but where only open Mon to Friday.

so it made more sense to use the slightly more expensive store because in the long run i would cost me more to take a day off. I got even luckier and found my best friends brother lives 20 minutes away from the place and was planning on getting some supplies to repair an old canoe.
he offered to pick the stuff up so i had no travel time and no shipping costs ect.
I just had to wait till he was coming down for a visit which was fine for me.

Sorry to ramble i get long winded sometimes lol.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ordering epoxy resin is out of the question for you at this time of year, it would freeze in transit and ruin.

The good news:
Polyester resin is virtually unaffected by cold and is actually more vulnerable to heat than cold.

The bad news:
Polyester resin is actually more volatile than gasoline, it has the same flammability rating as gasoline (your house could blow up like a meth lab) twice the health hazards of gasoline and is more reactive than gas... ventilation will be a must.

I personally would not use polyester resin indoors, ever... but that's probably just me.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Got your message, glad all turned out OK.

Let us know if Carmen is able to send you resin, reasonably.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The bad news:
Polyester resin is actually more volatile than gasoline, it has the same flammability rating as gasoline (your house could blow up like a meth lab) twice the health hazards of gasoline and is more reactive than gas...

I'd REALLY like to see the Data that you have to verify this. I have not seen this posted anywhere during all of my research. It is flammable but to the same extent of Gasoline???? I'd have to see the data.:confused::rolleyes:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd REALLY like to see the Data that you have to verify this. I have not seen this posted anywhere during all of my research. It is flammable but to the same extent of Gasoline???? I'd have to see the data.:confused::rolleyes:

Just google the msds sheet for both, both have a flammability rating of 3.

Poly resin has a health hazard rating of 2, where gasoline is only 1.

Poly resin has a reactivity rating of 1, and gasoline is 0.

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

So would using a woodstove not be a good idea

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmm, NO. Open flame heat is NOT a good source of heat when working with Poly. While I respectfully disagree with JNG on it being as volatile as Gasoline, it is rated as flammable and should be respected as such. IMHO it takes a highly concentrated amount of fumes for it to be hazardous and as long as you leave the garage door cracked about a foot and a box fan running to help suck out the fumes you'll always be OK, it would never be advisable to work with it with any kind of Open Flame Heat source.

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well that creates a whole different problem in my restore

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With an 88 to 113 degree flash point, just don't be reckless. You pour 1000mL/33 ounces at a time and put the cap back on the can. On a transom job you may have a couple on standby. You are simply not going to blow yourself up having a wood burner in the corner of the room with some air movement as WOG suggested. I am washing down my hull with lacquer thiner in small amounts, mixing and applying poly resin and epoxy, with a 15,000ish BTU ventless natural gas heater cranked up to 80. The real danger would be using particulate filters instead of chemical filters on a half mask respirator, or dumping Acetone soaked rags in a smoking cup of kicking resin ;) . Just be smart, clean, organized and methodical. I keep lids on cans the moment I set them down, and keep solvent rags and towels in safe containers away from the source of heat.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks jbcurt00. I'm very happy that we got that situation under control. I very much appreciate your comment.

As for the open flame with poly. I only have a convection heater to heat with. I do have a fan system inside of the dust tent that vents through a duct outside and onto the side of the house. This shelter is where I will also be doing the build up. I will have the garage door cracked as well because this is where the duct goes out of the garage.
Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but is there any way to safely use the resin. I really don't have much choice. The temps have to be maintained at around 70 I believe or the whole thing will go bad. There has to be a safe way to go about it. Like jc mentioned, as long as the workspace is ventilated and I am not completely reckless with the chems, is this really not even a possibility?

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

maryhannaj sorry to hijack yer thread but it also looks like your heading into the predicament i am except your garage is attached to your house isnt it. the garage i have is my buddies and well away from his house if something did happen.

the only thing i would be concerned about with you is fumes entering the house you may need to leave your ventilation on a while after your done.

i also think i am personally going to get a steel garbage can for rags and rags only. may even hang em outside to dry when im done and be extra cautious with especially when using the acetone.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

While I respectfully disagree with JNG on it being as volatile as Gasoline, it is rated as flammable and should be respected as such.

Here it is, all nice and easy to find because I looked it all up.

MSDS for Styrene, the main ingredient of poly resin:
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925112

MSDS for gasoline:
http://www.hess.com/ehs/msds/9950allgradesgasoline.pdf

... and just for comparison, the MSDS for kerosene:
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924436

Note the quick reference diamonds on the right hand side of the page with the smaller color coded and numbered diamonds inside. These tell you at a glance how hazardous a material is. The numbers are on a 1-4 scale and the color codes are:
Red: Flammability
Blue: Health
Yellow: Reactivity
White: PPE

Once you know what you're looking at it doesn't take long to figure out that poly resin is actually more volatile than gasoline, it's just as flammable and has a bigger health risk.

I wouldn't want those fumes in my house if I lived alone, and with a wife and small children I surely wouldn't want them in my house.

Don't get me started on MEKP.