1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

Hey guys I'm back.
Banshee owner, it was bleeding down somewhere about 2 or 3 pounds every 5 minutes. I thought to just replace the parts too. But I'm stubborn and dang it I wanted one that worked right. So I had to go to the one of the harbors in Salt Lake City today for an exchange because the Ogden City one was out of stock. After speaking on the phone with managers from both stores they informed me that there was no problem at all with them making it right. I do have to say that they treat me very good as a customer every single time I go to the store, and that to me is worth a lot! It doesn't seem like you find that attribute around much anymore.
Anyway, when I got there, they agreed to uncrate a compressor and run it for me to inspect before taking it back home. Two of the three compressors I looked at were damaged inside of the crate. The stand legs were bent badly on the first two that we opened up. It looks as though they were just being hard landed on the deck out of the truck. They were not happy!:embarassed: It turns out that the only one they had left was the display model and was a newer upgraded version of the one's they had crated up. It had a much better wheel and handle design and mount system, a much better pressure switch, regulator and air lines. The cage wasn't bent and it was still a 29 gallon but the tank was shorter and wider making it more stable on the ground. I believe this contributed to it just running smoother and with much less vibration.
So we ran it up to pressure and shut it down. I then left the store for about an hour to take the kids to get some chow. They were whining like I'm still supposed to be feeding them or something. I was hoping that crap would stop when they started walking but no luck so far. They should have come with an owners manual or something!:) Anyway, we went back to the store and it had still bled down, but only about 1 pound. So at this point I justified it to myself with the fact that I'm not trying to "store" air and had them load it up. Am I just expecting something that I shouldn't be or is this a common thing with compressors? I've never owned one, I've just always used the ones that belonged to the shops I've worked in.

Hey jc, thanks for telling me what that gummy type seal is that they had used on the fittings. I'm guessing that it probably works better then tape if that's what you use on a professional level as long as it's used correctly. Where would I find some? I also went to a different store to look at regulators that may be better and more dependable but I trully dont know what I'm looking for. Any tips? And I also need to install a ball valve. I beleive that's a pretty important safety upgrade and I can't believe they don't just come with one.

Hello bajaunderground. Welcome! Thanks for reading and posting. You nailed it. It is my wifes name Mary, my daughters name Hanna, and my little mans first initial J for Jacob because that's what we call him, "J". I was on the community a different time once before I started my restore just to ask some questions but had forgotten it and had to make a new one. I figured I wouldn't forget it if I made it this way. It's kinda funny that I have thought to change it again because I have been refered to as a her.:laugh: Oh well though, you cant sweat the small stuff too much I suppose.
Thanks so much for the comp on my progress here, but I do really like to refer to it as much more a group effort due to ALL of the great help that I am being given by the members of this community. I trully would be lost without it. I have never owned a motor powered boat or even thought to try and restore one untill now. I would like to let you know that I welcome any and all advice or input that you may have offer to help me stumble my way through this process. Thanks man!

Daniel1947, I guess I was finally able to get you some good pics of why that dang splasswell had to be cut. I dont know what exactly I'm gonna do with it but I'm happy I have that piece to work with. I really hope it's not the same situation for you when it comes time.
I do also agree with you guys when it comes to the idea of getting what you pay for in tools. I too invested in a lot of high end tools when I was released from service but unfortunatly I had to sell them off during a period of hard times. I decided with this project that I will save a bit on the more expensive tools so that I can afford better materials. As far as the particular company I have been purchasing the tools from, I have had both good and bad luck. However, I have had very good luck with them standing by there product. The one thing that I have been very carefull to discuss with the salesperson at any store I have purchased a tool in lately has been the tool waranty and the use of the warrany. Are your ears burnin brother?:)

As far as actual work on the boat these last few days, I haven't been able to get much done at all. I did however purchase another sweet new tool that I beleive can really benefit all of us during the demo process of our restores. For tin, fiberglass and wood alike, if you guys aren't familiar with this baby, it's called a high speed metal saw and it's completely new to me. It's very small for tight spots that will be hard to angle into and I have tested it out a little bit inbetween compressors. I'm dang excited to get to use it some more. I hope it will prove to be another good alternative for removing and trimming stringer material.

So here's "Stubby" the garage compressor and the new high speed saw...

DSC_0044.JPGDSC_0042.JPG

Thanks all. Talk at ya soon!

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

MHJ you might be a bit over expecting to find a compressor that doesn't bleed out any air, in fact if you did leave for an hour and only lost 1 psi you scored. i would be surprised if you could even find a leak that small.

As for tools when it came to the grinder i was looking for cheap cheap cheap i found some for 100 some for 145 some for 50. 50 was still to expensive so i looked at a refurbish type store here in Canada and normally i wouldn't buy anything from there they have a no return policy and exchange only or in store credit if they don't have the product.

i found a grinder for 19.95 which i was fine with it had a 30 exchange warranty which i intended on using. this story has two sides you can use cheap if you can handle the thing not working right. Mine right out of the box the spindle lock wouldn't work. had a heck of a time just getting the center nut off. two days after the warranty ran out the bearings in the head started to wear from constant downward pressure on the discs.

So because of safety sake i retired it and went to another store and got a grinder on sale for 25 dollars with a three year guarantee, finished the majority of the grinding and still have the second grinder working properly. So sometimes the cheapest is the best option other times its not. i fing that especially true with mechanics tools.

I laugh at these apprentices that buy nothing but snap-on and brag about it. Then all i say is hey i have the cheapest tools here and make as much money as you if not more. Is it the tools you own that make you a better mechanic or the way you use them. Usually gets em thinking about it and they compare prices and quality ect.

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks banshee owner. I was wondering if maybe I was expecting too much. I know what you mean on the tool thing. I've had good and bad luck with both expensive and cheap tools. But as some of the other guys have mentioned, this fiberglass has to be very hard on tools, so what sense does it really make to buy expensive ones to get the job done. And for that matter, to even use up the higher end ones that you may already have.
Now I'm not nocking snap-on or anything like that. They do make a great product and carry a super great warranty, but if you just want to feel cool about your tools, buy one of thier stickers and slap it on your toolbox!

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks banshee owner. I was wondering if maybe I was expecting too much. I know what you mean on the tool thing. I've had good and bad luck with both expensive and cheap tools. But as some of the other guys have mentioned, this fiberglass has to be very hard on tools, so what sense does it really make to buy expensive ones to get the job done. And for that matter, to even use up the higher end ones that you may already have.
Now I'm not nocking snap-on or anything like that. They do make a great product and carry a super great warranty, but if you just want to feel cool about your tools, buy one of thier stickers and slap it on your toolbox!

LOL :laugh: cheater with the sticker lol

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

That is pretty funny! I'd rather have a HF sticker but they never give me one. It's allways a small LED flashlight. My kids are always happy about that though. They must know that I need a flashlight to see if that hole I just cut goes all of the way through my hull!:laugh:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys. Sorry it's been a few days. I've been out with some crappy flu or something. Try not to forget about me. I really need to get some work done!:blue: I hope this crap isn't everywhere!

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I managed to get all of the cross members and one complete stringer removed today. :) I will need to put all of my materials on order. Foam, wood, fiberglass and whatever else I will need.
I would really appreciate if someone can give me some specifics on the materials I need to order. I would like to know what to ask them for when I call them.
Thanks all!

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks woodonglass! What should determine wether I should us epoxy or polyester resin?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks woodonglass! What should determine wether I should us epoxy or polyester resin?
When you wake up from a sudden collapse, just after you get the epoxy price quote, you'll choose poly resin......

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

That's good funny stuff jbcurt00!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, epoxy is about 30% more expensive. Takes about twice as long to cure so your build time is a lot longer. Harder to work with on Vertical surfaces. It is a bit stronger and has a bit better water proofing characteristics but IMHO not worth it. I'd for sure go with the Poly. It STINKS but you get used to it. Wear a mask and sprinkle some baby powder on it and you'll never know the difference.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Ok. I just woke up! Where will be the best most economical place to order the poly and supplies from? Should I really start with 15-20 gallons of that stuff?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd prolly start with 10 gallons and order more when you need it. Order 10 yds of CSM to start with and 10 yds of 1708
the Cabosil and Fibers you'll need. Since you live in Utah I'd recommend you order from these guys.Fiberglass Supply (Surfboards, Windsurfers, Kayaks, Canoes, Boats , Autos and more)
You'll get their general purpose laminating resin for boats. You'll save on shipping if you order from them. USComposites is another place but they're in Florida and shipping would be more, I THINK!!! You might check to make sure.

Last edited:

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not stepping on where Wood suggested you purchase resin, etc. from. I have also shopped around for prices and believe that US Composites is reasonable. Most of what I have seen is that in many instances the price for the resin is about the same, but then you have to add in freight and the hazmat charge for shipping which could make a differance in overall cost. I was lucky enough to find a local company here in Memphis that will sell me 5 gallon pails of poly for $108. My big savings will be no freight or hazmat. They won't do you any good my friend because you would have to add in freight and hazmat. But, I would suggest you let your "fingers do the walking" through the yellow pages and see if someone close buy has the resin. Nothing ventured but the savings could be substantial. Just my opinion.

jbcurt00

Staff member

^^ absolutely ^^^ having access to it locally is always a huge time & saver.............

US Comp is often the price & service leader, but shipping poly resin very far gets expensive.... I think the shipping from FL to WV is going to be nearly a third of my total costs (not just resin) after hazmat charges are added.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

These are all good points and the Mom and Pop dealers can be viable options however I did look for those before recommending the option I did and I could not find any in the Utah vicinity. MaryHanaj may have better luck than I did so by all means try to find someone as close to you as possible. If you do find someone local be sure and ask for General Purpose Laminating Polyester Resin... Non Waxed. You might also get some surface wax additive for the final coats of resin for your deck and transom.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you all. Very good points of view and I really appreciate it. Thes are all things that I hadn't even considered. I think I will check with a few of the local composite manufacturers. I used to work for one but didn't leave on the best of terms. Dang!

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I found a site that has quite a few of the products that you guys have told me I will need. I'm not sure if the prices are reasonable or not. This site was also pretty easy to search for the materials. Can you guys tell me what you think? Some of the other sites were a bit more difficult to interpret from a newbies point of view.

http://www.fiberglasssite.com/servlet/StoreFront