1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Finished? Oh man Glen, such a long way to go! As I see it, my timeline is now Sea Trial and leave for the lake in the same week. Rats!

--------------------------------------

K, this morning I ran the white top coat. Sure enough my compressor toasted while I was spraying. Aaaaaaaaakkkkkkkk! I think that's my 3rd one this year!

Thankfully I only had just a little left to do and I had some rattle cans of white on hand. I have one more pass to make and post up a photo for ya.

Gibbles

Commander

Finished? Oh man Glen, such a long way to go! As I see it, my timeline is now Sea Trial and leave for the lake in the same week. Rats!

--------------------------------------

K, this morning I ran the white top coat. Sure enough my compressor toasted while I was spraying. Aaaaaaaaakkkkkkkk! I think that's my 3rd one this year!

Thankfully I only had just a little left to do and I had some rattle cans of white on hand. I have one more pass to make and post up a photo for ya.

I dunno if your compressor is anything like mine, but after running it sandblasting and noticing how freaking hot it got (oil was burning off) and the sound of the compressor started changing...

So I started running a fan to blow on the head, it makes a huge difference.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, mine sits in my already HOT workshop so I may have very well cooked the thing:facepalm:

64osby

Admiral

Murphy is at it again, sorry about the compressor. Hope the paint is okay.

Congrats on the new Niece. Very cool, someone else to show the fun and merits of boating as they grow up.

Don't know if you resolved the windshield thing yet. Had posted this before and wanted to make sure you saw it as busy as you've been.

On the windshield, I saw some C/L listing a while back that listed custom made plexi for boats, unknown $$$.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/boa/3088152671.html

Just letting you know in case some mob member doesn't come through for ya.

Go Dog Go!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, the paint is good to go. I did get a few more drips rushing around like a big dummy though.

I actually put out a couple contacts to that fella - no responce. Ah well, thanks for the heads up, appreciated!

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good! Flowing like milk would off a stir stick is what I look for in everything except High build primer, perfect, getting closer.

rrumba

Ensign

CONGRATS on the newbie there JAS. good progress going on with you as well. man i feel like a turtle compared to you

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Just for clarification...would that be skim, 1/2%, 1%, 2% or whole? Does chocolate make any difference???:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

When it's crunch time during a boat build, I'd bet Jas is a Strawberry Quik fan. For obvious reasons:)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When it's crunch time during a boat build, I'd bet Jas is a Strawberry Quik fan. For obvious reasons:)

I'm sure he is a total Tang fan!:rolleyes: If its good enough for NASA its good enough for a man of tin!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks fellas! OOOoooooo, Vitamine D Whole Milk, Yum! Tang? Or Kool Aid:D

All right, pulled the tape...
IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

And, well, that's how she'll stay too. Yup, plane jane white. Sorry guys, I know I'm pretty boring:redface:

I kinda think that white on white is sorta classy and I'll let the extras on the boat bring some color in and break it up a little (decals, fittings, n such).

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

She looks GOOD and FAST just hanging from the rafters! Nothing wrong with a classic white! Beautifully done!

Yep Tang

tang-nasa.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Yep, gotta agree you are just plain boring...:rolleyes:

But the white does look real classy...something which I don't necessarily associate with you...hmmmm...:p

GRRRRR-8 job, bro!:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ya might be confusing boring w/ simple. <<--not the same:D

White looks great, the rubrail & blk insert will break it up, as will a logo & etc..... Have a great weekend! Be gentle w/ it when you lower it, consider getting in it & settle to just start making motorboat sounds. Don't want to scratch the soft paint.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

What did your rusto mix ratio end up being? 4:1:1? Paint:thinner:hardener?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys:)

Piece - Ha! I was just thinking, yah we both have SN but pretty funny, our paint schemes couldn't be more different eh?:D

GT - I looked for RiffRaff colored paint but they were out of the gloss finish which is what I needed:p

JB - Yah, simple, that's more like it:)

SMG - 1:1, with acetone, no hardener in my mix buddy

What really helps is now I can order up all my stuff now that I know what color boat I'll have here, I was kinda waiting on that. Gauges, cleats, fittings, decals... Now I can get stuff that matches up with the character of the boat eh;)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! Looks great from here! You knocked that out in a hurry. I love the way it turned out, and I happen to love an all-white, all-business fishing rig.... You can always go back and add color at a later date, but I wouldn't touch it... Like you said, you can add a punch of color here and there with the decals, clean/thin striping line, lettering, etc...

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome, Jas - just great.

A question if I might and apologies if I missed the discussion. That space between your deck and sides (cept for the two foam spacers for extra support) - is the idea that water is supposed to drain down into the bilge and get pumped out? Or do you plan on sealing it up all the way around?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wow! Looks great from here! You knocked that out in a hurry. I love the way it turned out, and I happen to love an all-white, all-business fishing rig.... You can always go back and add color at a later date, but I wouldn't touch it... Like you said, you can add a punch of color here and there with the decals, clean/thin striping line, lettering, etc...

Thanks bro!

I was just thinking, the fletching and wraps on my arrows are all white too. Simple. All business;)

(I've sat out two hunting seasons, this year I need to get back out there.:))

I may add some wood in here somewhere too now that I have moved away from the black, we'll see.

Awesome, Jas - just great.

A question if I might and apologies if I missed the discussion. That space between your deck and sides (cept for the two foam spacers for extra support) - is the idea that water is supposed to drain down into the bilge and get pumped out? Or do you plan on sealing it up all the way around?

Well, it's not that special, I've got drips:redface: The white paint is forgiving though. Ah well, I'm not a pro and the price was right:)

Yup, the big gap is for drainage. Water hits the deck, washes into the bilge then over the side through the pump. The deck is also somewhat independent to the hull. Different than a glass boat. If I were to try to try and attach/seal it to the hull it would just crack and fall apart, ya know.

Hope everybody is staying cool, it's stinking hot today. Triple digits on the mercury round here...

brewern

Cadet

Looking great Jas! I just spent the last few hours reading the entire thread and anxiously await splash day.

Congrats on the two new beautiful girls in your life!

Maybe 'Kate' should be a part of the boat name...

Status
Not open for further replies.