1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Looks good Jason. I agree Black and White for a color scheme. Actually Ivory as the main color and black for trim, is what I've got picked out for the Offshore. Classic old school, yet it still looks fresh and bold. Like you my SC Broham! lol

How the hand? Will you still be able to fillet walleyes this fall?

Uggh gotta run, Karate class is waiting. Best of luck to yours.
Peace..........Don

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

white to keep clean

Yah, I really thought that about the black on the Jet Star. Any speck of dirt, dust, and water mark showed on that black paint. The white has to be better!

Just popped in to say...
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!

Right back atcha!:D

Did you have to add any braces to the other side of the ceiling?

Yah, actually the LVL is supported by studs on each side. Also, there is a fat LVL on the tip side (floor of my workshop). So lots of strength/support actually.

Glad you took my advice! Now you too can save yourself from carpal arm syndrome

carp, thanks a ton for the recommendation on the rivet gun. Man, it's sweet!!! Should be a big time/effort saver:D

I ask on these smaller boats you find a prefferred method (rolling vs. working under) for getting the paint done? Maybe I need to wait until you're done with this one for an answer.

Well, on my Jet Star, I just used rattle cans. It was easy and I had the color I needed on hand so that's why I went for it. I'll prolly use the spray gun on this SN.

Actually Ivory as the main color and black for trim

Black and Ivory you say? That would be a cool combo!!:cool:

Hand is great actually:)

Um guys, I just bought gas at $3.18, that's a great deal! I sure wish this SN was sitting on it's trailer so I could go fill up that fat 45 gal tank!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK fellas, it's storming here, way humid so no paint work. I've been doing a bunch of internet shopping though. I still need to buy a bunch of stuff (gauges, fittings, nav lights, cleats all that biz).

The biggie are my windshields. I came across this one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400269699975?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'd just take those side wings off and sweet!!!!
I gave him a major bottom feeder offer and fully expect him to decline.

When he does I'm back to this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380356218400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Then I started thinking.....

...and did a little nosing around on how to cut/shape acrylic - shoot man, I think I could make a pair!:) I've never worked with acrylic but it doesn't look all that hard. Not much different than wood eh?

Any of you guys work with this stuff?

If I can pull this off I could prolly save like 250 ish bux. They sell big sheets of it right at my local Menards.

Whatcha think? Am I a big dumb head to even be thinking about doing this?:confused:

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you decide to make your own, you can clamp the acrylic sheet to a sheet of ply, & when you cut it, cut the ply too. Eats up a sheet of ply, but reduces stress cracks & fractures. I think they make jigsaw blades for acrylic, plexi &/or lexan ~ fine teeth.

1 of those will soften in the oven & can be laid over a curved form to give it a shape other then flat... But I don't remember which or where the how to was posted:facepalm: Some of those are better then others for your windshield, but it's a trade-off: Low cost/ease of use/durability etc....

Of course these just popped up:
Free Starcraft parts FREE!!!!!!!!!!!
Consoles ..both sides...from a 1977 or 1978 Starcraft 16ft Supersport
consoles do not have the dash in front

1971 windshield...pexiglass needs to be replaced...

I live in Woodbury, Minnesota...near St Paul...
biggrin.gif
View attachment 155994View attachment 155995

Last edited:

Gibbles

Commander

OK fellas, it's storming here, way humid so no paint work. I've been doing a bunch of internet shopping though. I still need to buy a bunch of stuff (gauges, fittings, nav lights, cleats all that biz).

The biggie are my windshields. I came across this one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400269699975?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'd just take those side wings off and sweet!!!!
I gave him a major bottom feeder offer and fully expect him to decline.

When he does I'm back to this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380356218400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Then I started thinking.....

...and did a little nosing around on how to cut/shape acrylic - shoot man, I think I could make a pair!:) I've never worked with acrylic but it doesn't look all that hard. Not much different than wood eh?

Any of you guys work with this stuff?

If I can pull this off I could prolly save like 250 ish bux. They sell big sheets of it right at my local Menards.

Whatcha think? Am I a big dumb head to even be thinking about doing this?:confused:

I have seen alot of junk glass boats with that type of winshield, I think if you have a dump that accepts the hulls for a cheap price ($3-$4 here) you could save some money by hauling away someones garbage :)

I have worked with plexy before, it's not hard to bend as jbcurt said, just get the heat right or it will crack or melt/burn.

A heat gun and a little at a time should be easy.

Also take a look at the windshield in the starcraft parts thread ;) (just added today)
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=463895&page=5&p=3859370#post3859370

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have heard that acrylic is very difficult to work with.

Wookie69

Cadet

If your still looking for a windshield look here I removed this one from my boat not planning on putting back, I also still have the top it is in decent shape needs a good scrubbing. Was going to place on ebay so let me know what you think. By the way converting mine to a CC for the lakes here in NC. Definitely same issue with foam, I removed approximately 700 pounds of it so far still have the stern side pockets to go.

IMG_6335.jpgIMG_6335a.JPGIMG_6336.jpgIMG_6337.jpgIMG_6338.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

JB, Gib - yah, I saw that freebee windshield, it's got a curve to it so no go on my consoles without some fancy fab work anyway.

EZ - I was watching some youtube vids on working with it and I was thinking, shoot, even a knuckle head like me could pull that off. Not the first time I've been way wrong though:rolleyes:

I checked into Acrylic at Menards and it looks like I could be into it for about $50 plus the cost of fasteners (and my time). That wouldn't be too shabby if I could pull it off. Course if I blow it I'm out both the time and the cash:rolleyes: Both of which I'm short on....

More thinking on that....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If your still looking for a windshield look here I removed this one from my boat not planning on putting back

PM, yur way wookie:D

---------------------------------

Actually had another iboater shoot me a windshield offer, pretty darn cool!!! Thanks, you guys are totally awesome!!!:D

Gibbles

Commander

JB, Gib - yah, I saw that freebee windshield, it's got a curve to it so no go on my consoles without some fancy fab work anyway.

Did not notice that :)

Looks like a pain... unless you take those consoles too ;)

use the top tin piece when building your consoles :cool:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did not notice that :)

Looks like a pain... unless you take those consoles too ;)

use the top tin piece when building your consoles :cool:

Yep, all that was what I thought when I read Jas' post too:D

Any other great ideas you've got Gib, PM 'em to me. I'll probably happily agree & claim that was what I was thinking too. Ok?:facepalm:

Gibbles

Commander

Yep, all that was what I thought when I read Jas' post too:D

Any other great ideas you've got Gib, PM 'em to me. I'll probably happily agree & claim that was what I was thinking too. Ok?:facepalm:

lol

oops!

I did not notice the post above mine :facepalm:

Great minds think alike eh ;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

lol

oops!

I did not notice the post above mine :facepalm:

Great minds think alike eh ;)

I actually was talking about your post that I quoted, after Jas pointed out the windshield curves. I thought well then take the consoles too:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

K guys, the eBay seller counter offered $1K for his windshield. Ah yah, that'd be a negative. That a nice one but I still have to feed a family of 5!

Hey osby, started playing lumberjack today. 95 degrees and 95% humidity, why not right:rolleyes:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess the Vulcan Mind Meld won't on the windshield guy. :facepalm:

Gibbles

Commander

If other options fail, keep an eye open local, I bet there will be a good donor pop up.

After I tried and failed to get a windshield on ebay (won one listed with "free shipping" that the seller wanted $100 to ship), a much better deal popped up local just a few days later. :D

Seriously; If that freebe Starcraft windshield is not to far away, console tops would make an easy fit. ;)
Just say'n :cool:

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jas, empty your PM inbox, buddy.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jas, empty your PM inbox, buddy.

Sorry about that George!

It was totally full of pm's from glasser guys trying to figure out how to get into the metal boat club;) I'm just here to help em out:D

Status
Not open for further replies.