1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Thanks bro!

I was just thinking, the fletching and wraps on my arrows are all white too. Simple. All business;)

(I've sat out two hunting seasons, this year I need to get back out there.:))

That and the crimson
I may add some wood in here somewhere too now that I have moved away from the black, we'll see.

Well, it's not that special, I've got drips:redface: The white paint is forgiving though. Ah well, I'm not a pro and the price was right:)

Yup, the big gap is for drainage. Water hits the deck, washes into the bilge then over the side through the pump. The deck is also somewhat independent to the hull. Different than a glass boat. If I were to try to try and attach/seal it to the hull it would just crack and fall apart, ya know.

Hope everybody is staying cool, it's stinking hot today. Triple digits on the mercury round here...

Dude, boats and fishing arer a mainstay, but you gotta leave some time for in the woods! Btw, white fletching is really easy to follow as it passes through the intended target! Plus its cool to see the crimson on it!;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey fellas, lil help here if ya can...

I'm getting ready to place the order for all my fitting/gauges and stuff and I need drain tubes. I'd really like to get some brass ones this time, I think they look sharp!

I seem to remember one of the guys around here making a flareing/flanging tool?

Do any of you guys remember who did that, or how they did that?

Spending 30 bux for a one time job tool is pretty hard for me to swallow ya know.

Thanks and have a great Sunday guys!:)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Dale's Iboat's ID isn't on there, but here's what you're looking for:

FlaringTool.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks JB! Yah, that should work just fine and way cheaper!

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would stick with aluminum. Don't like to mix brass with aluminum hull due to corrosion problems.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I would stick with aluminum. Don't like to mix brass with aluminum hull due to corrosion problems.

Whoops! Yah, sorry, I meant to say alum. The brass ones on the site show right next to the alum ones;)

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Small rant cause I'm a right tool for the job guy,

The way you go through boats you really think this is a one time job? I've seen many on here go the homemade tool with less than stellar results then spend more time fussing them to get them right.
Just spend the money have your tubes done right in five minutes and be on to the next thing in the list.
Ok rant off

Glad to see the puma didn't get ya and Jen didn't kill ya in your sleep for the ferns.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey fellas, lil help here if ya can...

I'm getting ready to place the order for all my fitting/gauges and stuff and I need drain tubes. I'd really like to get some brass ones this time, I think they look sharp!

I seem to remember one of the guys around here making a flareing/flanging tool?

Do any of you guys remember who did that, or how they did that?

Spending 30 bux for a one time job tool is pretty hard for me to swallow ya know.

Thanks and have a great Sunday guys!:)

I think Dave made a flange tool when he replaced the drain tubes on his 22' SS.

Waiting on seeing what exactly is in that box...:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

All right truck, I'll think about getting the right tool, ugh.

JB, yah, my "next" project is still waiting for me. I sure don't need another!

Yah Dave, that's right - I think I remember him putting in those drain tubes. I'll need to stop over to his thread, thanks Mike!

---------------------------------------

OK, just so you know I'm not just wrestling wild forest creatures:

Here are my hatch covers, all sanded down...
IMAG0110.jpg

The port/starboard sides got an extra 1/2" laminated. The fish box and anchor got an extra 3/4". Should make em solid...
IMAG0112.jpg

One more dry fit, glad I did. The starboard side was bumping the fuel fill fitting so I plowed out that hatch a little to make the space...
IMAG0114.jpg

You can (barely) see the fish box hatch sitting down just a bit in there, that'll be just the space I need for a gasket in there.

Now they are ready for epoxy and paint:)

dozerII

Admiral

Nice job Jas, they should work out real well.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Get the tool and you'll say "Best 30 bucks I ever spent". Seriously, it will be a five minute job. You need the time more than money right now...

Gibbles

Commander

ETA: oops nm JB beat me to it again!

Doh!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for chipping in guys, appreciated!

I think I'll go to my local industrial bolt warehouse, see what they got first thing in the a.m., and if I can't come up with something I'll just order the tool. That's the plan anyway.

Two more steps closer, bottom sides of hatches all sealed up...
IMAG0006.jpg

(you can see that piece where I had to remove some material from the backer to make room for the fuel fill)

...and cranked out a pair of bunks...
IMAG0003.jpg

Decker83

Commander

Great vid. LMAO :D:D:D The way it ended I didn't know if the extreme puma had you or not. HAHA
Good looking work you keep doing there.
Ready for the next extreme vid.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Those hatches are masterpieces brutha... I'm gonna attempt that method of construction also, kinda like sleeper6 did his... Dig it!

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hatches look great! I also saw on here somewhere where someone used the "ball" side of a ball hammer to open it up, then used a larger ball hammer to push it more to flange it. Although the way above sounds "better" as far as make-shift goes.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice work Jason. Glad there wasn't a hungry Puma in the box. I have to agree with truck on buying the tool. I am a confessed tool junkie though, and I'll also admit I borrowed the tool from my local boat parts store. I do have a personal rule though that if you have to borrow the same tool 3 times, it's time to buy your own. So next time, I'm buying my own. Anyway, your boat looks great, your doing some great work as usual. Keep it going man!

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Nice work Jason. Glad there wasn't a hungry Puma in the box. I have to agree with truck on buying the tool. I am a confessed tool junkie though, and I'll also admit I borrowed the tool from my local boat parts store. I do have a personal rule though that if you have to borrow the same tool 3 times, it's time to buy your own. So next time, I'm buying my own. Anyway, your boat looks great, your doing some great work as usual. Keep it going man!

X2 but if i need to borrow it twice, i buy it period, but remember i have a 1800 Square foot basement for storage ............

Status
Not open for further replies.