1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Yah guys, had a great time to be sure! It was a fantastic vacation - lot's of swimming, eating, fishing and just hanging around at the beach, really super nice:)

That photo up there ^^^ was at the dock at sun up (coffee in hand).

The fishing was way turned off. Locals weren't even bothering with it. Though you couldn't convince Ryan of it...
IMAG0270.jpg

We really had a great time:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh yah, that boat my First Mate is sitting in, that's my new 14' MirroCraft Utility...

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

I was really bummed when I got to the lake boatless. That was a bit tough to swallow, so, after a quick hunt once we pulled into the lake, I hauled this back to the cottage;):cool:

It's in really good shape. I threw the 15 HP Evinrude kicker on it and she served us really well for the week:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

You are an afflicted man indeed...but congrats anyway on the nice MirroCraft score...very cool looking "Back-up Plan"...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I had a sneakin feeling you were going to do something like that... (especially when said you were throwing the kicker in the truck just in case)...

Sort of reminds of the smoker craft - sans the jacked up transom and the honey mustard camo....

Should we name her: Walleye Slime II ?

You going to keep her or put her out to pasture now the vaca is over?

P.S. the fact that your son is wearing a "snow hat" (or whatever you guys call those up there) and a long sleeve shirt in late July gives me a combined sense of envy/puke reflex... It is hotter than the surface of the sun down here.... I start sweating just looking outside.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I ah...

Yup, I needed something to float in. So yah, that makes me a 3 boat man again, for the moment anyhow. It's a great boat and I grew really fond of it over the week. I think I'll put it up for sale, see what I can do on it. If no go, I may hang on to her just for fun:)

jbcurt00

Staff member

The mirrocraft probably cost about the same as a week's rental, on a boat that's been beat 1/2 to death, or less:facepalm: I think you northerner's call that a car topper, well done.

Nice job, & Ryan will remember that fish for a long time. Early am rising must run in the family;)

Triton II

Commander

Jason, Jason, Jason... I blinked and suddenly there's yet another tinny in your life. One tinny is cool, two is cooler and three? Coolest! Congratulations! :)

TII

maddiedog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That 14 footer is perfect for the titt. Throw an electric more on her and that is all you need. That river isn't good for the sn. I would hold on to it...

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Jason,since meeting you here on this forum,I believe you have had at least five boats that I can remember.Are there more?Do we(Iboats members) need to forum a support group, and have an intervention to encourage you to do some more boats restos?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice job, & Ryan will remember that fish for a long time. Early am rising must run in the family

Yah, we had a blast, he loves fishing, he was pumped. I was pumped just to be hanging with him out on the water!

Jason, Jason, Jason... I blinked and suddenly there's yet another tinny in your life. One tinny is cool, two is cooler and three? Coolest! Congratulations!

TII

The three of them does seem to cover the range eh mate!

That 14 footer is perfect for the titt. Throw an electric more on her and that is all you need. That river isn't good for the sn. I would hold on to it...

Yah, you are thinking exactly what I'm thinking. I'm glad you said it out loud cuz coming from me would just be rationalizing ya know.

This Mirro Craft would do well in the thin waters of the Tittabawassee compared to the SN with the big 90 hp on it. Downstream, in the Saginaw and at the mouth the SN would certainly be more comfortable.

I wouldn't feel so bad banging it up n stuff either.

Well, if the Mirro Craft sells, so be it. If it doesn't, it'll be 3rd on the current rebuild ticket.:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason,since meeting you here on this forum,I believe you have had at least five boats that I can remember.Are there more?Do we(Iboats members) need to forum a support group, and have an intervention to encourage you to do some more boats restos?

Oh boy, let's see here...

First I had this little 12' Sea Nymph, 6 HP Merc. Great boat but I sold it to get something a little bigger...
DSC_0102.jpg

So then I had this 14' Starcraft with a 25 HP Merc, sold it to pay some bills...
DSC_0499.jpg

That was very sad, that was an awesome boat. So, I started searching for something really cheap and found my way to iboats, and started reading, and thought huh, I think "yah I could rebuild a boat!"

And found the Islander with the OMC Stringer for $450...
P1000679.jpg

Which by the way WILL be ready for water 2013!

Then I figured I needed something for small water, so snatched the Jet Star with the ol Chrysler for $250...
P1040743.jpg

Rebuilt it...
P1070965.jpg

Had some fun...
P1080263.jpg

Sold it to pay the tax man, that that was sad. Knocked the wind right otta me.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So for a replacement I grabbed the 14' SmokerCraft...
P1080371.jpg

That was short lived since I spotted this cool looking Sea Nymph for cheap!
P1080477.jpg

I'll get this Sea Nymph finished up but I'm in no rush now. I'll get back to my normal one thing per day routine and she'll get there. No timelines really. All I care about is getting this one wrapped up so I can move the Islander back in this winter.

And now I scored the 14' Mirro Craft, great solid little boat!
IMAG0228.jpg

All that makes perfect sense eh???:D

(Now I'm not counting all the sacrificial donor boats. Those don't actually count do they?)

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome back Jas! Great wrapup on the "collection" - especially helpful for us latecomers to the resto asylum...

Man, that Jetstar is gorgeous. Don't think I've seen her before - there a thread on your resto? I could see being bummed over getting rid of it. No matter tho. The Nymph will be even awesomer! ( is that even a word teach?) :D

EDIT - doh! Just saw the link in your sig for the Star rebuild...Back o the class dummy!

(least i got me some reading material now that I'm back here)

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome back from a well deserved vacation Jas,

Great gratuitous kid inspiration pic, just think how excited Ryan would be if you let him fish for more than bait!:p Since I'm usually after crappy that's about the size of walleye I usually end up with.

Like the boat timeline, it's fun to see the steps of boatdom.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! That's alot of boats and rebuilds. Nice work!

Looking forward to following the finishing stages of SN.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe one of these days Jason will build one from scratch,......

jbcurt00

Staff member

Maybe one of these days Jason will build one from scratch,......

Where's that tinny boat in a can pix from last fall? The panels all flat stacked inside that huge shipping container out west somewhere....

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

@ Jason

WOW!I thought 5 and counted 8.Donor boats only count if they are rebuilt/restored and returned to water.I can't wait for the day the Islander rolls out to the ramp.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man, that Jetstar is gorgeous.

I really liked the black over brushed alum, very sharp. Rats, I miss her!

it's fun to see the steps of boatdom.

Love that, boatdom:D

Looking forward to following the finishing stages of SN.

Yah man, from here on pretty much fun finishing type stuff:)

@ Jason

WOW!I thought 5 and counted 8.Donor boats only count if they are rebuilt/restored and returned to water.I can't wait for the day the Islander rolls out to the ramp.

Yah, if you include the disposable glass boats that's a few more;)

At one time I had a whole fleet of 7 expedition canoes and 14 sea kayaks too.

That Islander, at dawn, Lake Michigan, cranking in a salmon, that will be sweet:D

Status
Not open for further replies.