1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Oh ya, in between all that I ran to the local marine dealer to grab some vent and supply line. At nearly 4 bux a foot it was painful! So, I hammered the STP and felt a little better.
You can lay off the coffee now bud! J/K STP rocks!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Ah, well - Jas - if there ever was a dood who coulda pulled it off it was you.

Think of how nice it will be to relax with the fam and then come home to a 90 percent done project. That will be a good place.

As for the vocals, don't quite your day job man.....or even your part time job! :p ;) :D

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Enjoy your vacation, there are rental boats UP there too, been fishing that lake for a couple of years, good wally and perchy! Don't forget to go check out the wild fire area by pike lake!

InMotion

Commander
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165

Soooooo close....You CAN do it man... almost there!!! There is still time at 3:00 am till 8:00....
Nice work though... enjoy the splash when your back.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Rats, never a more valiant effort. Ahhhh, sleep well tonight.... Pack the kicker & rent a jon boat;)

Or grab a cheap one & drag it back for flipping like you mentioned :cool:

Props just the same done or not!

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, a valiant effort was made by all..................

actually STOP now............ it is 5 coats, repeat 5 coats of spar varnish, then it will be maintenance free for 5 years minimum, but i do it every other year just because .........

also cracking fir at least is cheap............i did that boo boo, when installing the new transom on the princecraft this spring.........ummmmm oak is slightly more expensive, and there was MUCH swearing involved, then i went and dropped another 100 clams for a new board

mahogany would be a better choice, more water resistant than fir??? and stronger as well?????

and with any hardwood, pre drilling is crucial

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I agree... you left it all out on the field... I know I was one of the biggest fans of Extreme Makeover - Boat Edition, but this might actually work out for the best. You would be tinkering with that boat the whole time finishing up odds and ends or, worse yet, you would have been frustrated to no-end if something was not working, etc.... I remember my grand-dad brought his bought on every beach vacation we went on, and I swear it died every time... Just chil-lax and enjoy some much needed rest and time with the family... The kids will remember just being on vacation (and hanging with you) moreso than the boat... Proud of the effort and like others have said, you get to come home to a boat that just needs a few tweaks to be water ready....

Look forward to hearing about the vacation and maybe seeing some pics.

Have a good one.

P.S. You blowin off some steam to STP was classic and something I may not forgot for awhile...

rpm

Golden Arrow II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I'm a couple of hours late with this, I was up in tawas at the beach with the kids

A couple of fix's for your dash problem other than making a new one, first pull out the screw that caused the crack then,

If you have a pocket screw jig you should be able to put a couple of those in the back side of the pannel and use the fine thread screws. You will be good to go then, they hold awesome.

If not drill some holes centered in the bottom of the board about an inch away from the ends of the crack in the board going up towards the top. Drill past the crack atleast an inch, then counter bore a hole a little bit bigger than the size of the screw head just deep enough for the screw threads to make the inch past the crack. Open up the crack a bit if possible and put some glue in it and a little bit in the screw holes, then clamp it and drive in the screws and let the glue set up before you unclamp it. Then plug the hole in the bottom and sand it all again then another coat of varnish, and your good to go.

Then predrill a different hole for that screw, any other screws should be predrilled.

You made one hell of a run at it man, have fun UP north.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JB - I'm old and I know STP is Stone Temple Pilots.

rrumba

Ensign

Ok, so i guess i am late on this, but for a quick fix i am sure you have some aluminum laying around that you could sandwich that part in between with some through bolts and use some gorrilla glue on the joint. that will hold you for your return or you could cut out the new piece take it with you and coat it while up there then do a quick swap out.

maddiedog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have a good vacation and come back to finish it like you want not like you have to.

dozerII

Admiral

Have a great holiday Jas, you certainly earned it, the S/M will be waiting for you when you get back rested with a clear head

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

WOW! I slept great last night, whew!! I needed that man!

OK, couple things.

First, my vocals are crazy awesome. So good they can make a guy totally forget that he way over paid for something in an all out bid to get something done.

Second, on the fir dash. I think I could have gone a quick fix but even that would have taken some time. I really needed everything to go perfect (and fast) to pull it off. The other thing is/was I probably shouldn't have used that fir for that application. I'm not so keen on the XTREME steering system snapping loose in my hands doing 250 mph. That would be scary. So, in the end I may change things up a lil with that.

Anyhow, I'll do a quick clean up of that 15 hp Evinrude and throw it in the back of the truck for the trip. We'll just see what happens;)

Thanks for sticking with me guys:)

Have a good one!:D

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Have a great holiday Jas, you certainly earned it, the (S/N) will be waiting for you when you get back rested with a clear head
Had to fix it for ya Dozer, That coulda gone down a bad road :rolleyes: Enjoy Jas

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

WOW! I slept great last night, whew!! I needed that man!

First, my vocals are crazy awesome. So good they can make a guy totally forget that he way over paid for something in an all out bid to get something done.

Have a good one!:D

Jason, Simon here: you are a great guy, and awesome when working on boats, family guy and whatnot, however i seriously recommend you stay where where you are and do not try for a singing career............

sorry, it is a no, you will not be going to LA ..........

L.A. Reid............. sorry, dawg, it is a no as well..................

“If your lifeguard duties were as good as your singing, a lot of people would be drowning.” Simon Cowell

and for the record, my wife CAN sing, she has mad skillz, and my oldest son too.
Me? I tend to make people tone deaf and break glass..............

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Dood - we kid because we care. ;)

(and FWIW when i wail to my favourite rockin Tragically Hip tunes you should see the looks I get from the fam :eek:)

Enjoy the vacation man!

Status
Not open for further replies.