1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huron Angler

Admiral

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Yah guys, a shoulder season could have brought very different results. Great news they are home and aok, that was a long night last night.

...lurking...

I know I felt glasser eyes on my back:eek:

Alrighty, I spent a long time today eyeballin this windshield. I need to sleep on it, decision time tomorrow.

I did get the trailer all stripped apart, primed and painted...
IMAG0002.jpg

More plain ol white:redface:

Schmacked in some Bearing Buddies...
IMAG0002-1.jpg

Now I can start putting it back together.

I also got my Sea Nymph decals ordered up;)

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good! Just a heads up between the bay and lake Michigan some of the best fishing I've seen in years! Oh hurry!!!

not to rub it in, but 60 fish in 10 days............ all catch and release :)

trailer looks sweet, i might have you do mine this winter, man you do awesome work over there :)

dozerII

Admiral

Jason, you used to be a cowboy but your trailer looks all white now:facepalm: nice job.

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to eventually install Bert's Tracks on this SN so I want a good backer for the gunwales. Rather than take the time to cut and epoxy some ply I just grabbed a chunk of this Trex decking the other day...
IMAG0006-1.jpg

I'll use that for my cleats too.

:cool:
Cant got wrong with that composite stuff imo!

bear_69cuda

Commander

You are a machine dood..... How does one pound out a painted trailer in one day??????

Is it the Kool-Aid factor my brutha????

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK guys, the trailer isn't all that fancy or special. I killed myself rehabbing that Islander trailer. I worked so hard getting all the rust off, super priming, all that biz. Well, I can already see just tiny little spots of rust starting to show.

This trailer, and the past two, just got a quick scrub, loose paint scraped and sprayed. I couldn't tell any difference at all in what I did with the Islander trailer and the others.

I figure if it starts to get ugly I can just pull the boat off in a half dozen years, another quick spray, lookin good again. Quick and easy:cool:

So, how did the weld grinding on the mudguard go? :p

TII

I kinda liked it so I left it:D

Yah bear, KoolAid factor helps, as does a pot o coffee in the a.m.;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

K, windshield...

First big thanks to George for keeping an eye on me and hooking me up with this super nice windshield, thanks again man!:D

Bunch of good news and a little bit of bad news.

IMAG0002-2-1.jpg

IMAG0002-3.jpg

I spent a ton of time measuring, rough fitting, thinking, stewing, looking. This is tricky. You can kinda see the port/starboard sections flare back a little and the wing sections flare a little too.

I really wanted to keep this a full windshield, using all three pieces. But with the mods I'm doing to my consoles, the fit to the gunwales, height, width, trim, yada, yada.... I think my odds are about 50/50 I can get it right and looking good. Not good odds. I really didn't want to be committed to that road only to find out it looks hacked. So, bad news, I'll need to omit that center section.

Good news is I can still use it! More good news is it's in great shape! The green tint is kinda cool! And, I believe these will look more pro than the plexiglass I was thinking, especially compared to if I were to build my own! By not using the center section I can have way more flexibility to install the individual sections where I want to. That would have been a nightmare to try and align all 5 pieces.

With a few easy mods and some paint these should look sweet on the SN:)

The first mod was/is to cut the long tails that came off the wings. Here's what it looked like originally:
P1010709.jpg

George just trimmed em so they could box up easier. I'll cut em flush and clean em up.

These should look pretty darn cool when its all said and done!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's the same shield I put on my my Jupiter. Lots of flexibility there. Going to look awesome on your boat.

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They're gonna be great.

Yeah, you get a lot more flexibility without the center section. I considered putting them on my 18 SS when I broke the glass in one panel :facepalm:. But the rake would have eaten up too much console. Unlike folks that go out on the water in January in Michigan with no windshield at all (and scream like kids just let out of school)...we (Admiral and I) use the center section when it gets cool. So I just replaced the safety glass in the original SC shield.

FYI guys, I have seen some guys use acrylic to replace safety glass. I made a pattern and had a glass company make a replacement safety glass panel for $35. That is cheaper than acrylic and it has to be more durable.

Keep flying Jason. And thanks for the advice on painting trailers. I've been putting mine off thinking I had to make it great. I like your idea better - a step above lick and a promise.

Gibbles

Commander

I love that style of windshield, they are so flexible and adaptable.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's the same shield I put on my my Jupiter. Lots of flexibility there. Going to look awesome on your boat.

Yah, with a closed bow that would have been cake to fit. With this consoles and the dimensions/shape of my bow the frame was basically landing right on my trim. It would have been very tricky to deal with.

Unlike folks that go out on the water in January in Michigan with no windshield at all (and scream like kids just let out of school)

My face did get a little wind burn from running in those those sub arctic temps :rolleyes: It was worth it though:D

I love that style of windshield, they are so flexible and adaptable.

You know, here's the other thing...

You guys know I was after that curved windshield. I'm really glad I didn't find one. I think the style of this one will really fit this 80's vintage kinda style:D

Got some more stuff done this morning, I'll post up later, man I gotta crank on this!

dozerII

Admiral

Nice looking windshield Jason, are you going to leave it black? would be a nice contrast on the nice shinny white hull.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sux about the middle glass but I had the same deal with my windshield. Mine was donated from a 1989 Sea Arrow... glasser :rolleyes:.... the way i mounted the consoles allowed for the glass to function when shut but when opening, the angle of the bottom edge hit the console.... So out it came! Looks great Jas!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking windshield Jason, are you going to leave it black? would be a nice contrast on the nice shinny white hull.

Yah Glen, debating a fresh coat of black or changing it over to white. Hmmmm....

While I didn't put black on the hull my decals and some trim pieces are black so that is basically my "accent color". We'll see;)

Sux about the middle glass but I had the same deal with my windshield. Mine was donated from a 1989 Sea Arrow... glasser :rolleyes:.... the way i mounted the consoles allowed for the glass to function when shut but when opening, the angle of the bottom edge hit the console.... So out it came! Looks great Jas!

Yah man, I could see this windshield install going bad in so many ways using that middle piece. Lot of danger going that way and I just didn't want to take the chance.;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You don't paint a windshield frame white.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK. 2nd option is purple glitter, is that cool?:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So I put in a big order to JMS Marine on Monday, 90% came Tuesday (regular ground shipping)...
IMAG0002-2.jpg

The last 10% came today...
IMAG0142.jpg

Awesome prices, lightning fast service, excellent!

So, I reached in the box and started installing stuff. Thru hull for the fish box...
IMAG0002-4.jpg

Thru hull at the stern. This was originally used as a livewell. There is an outside chance I may install a baitwell back here...
IMAG0002-1-2.jpg

I still have one more thru hull to put in back here.

Thru hull for the bilge pump...
IMAG0003-2.jpg

I like the stainless on white look:D

Status
Not open for further replies.