1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kroussin

Seaman
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

NEWBIE ALERT!!!

ive been reading alot on these resto threads and have yet to find (or possiably retain) some informationso now i have some questions. First. the chosen route is to epoxy the plywood what epoxy should i be looking for and what are the chances of finding it locally.
second question is what (grade?) gluvit should I be looking for. and third i see PL refered to alot, is this the liquid nails type adhesive and what kinds are best for where?

will be starting a thread shortly as ive been workin like mad on the boat. plan is to keep fixing/ limping it along untill winter when i can dig in a little deeper.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

hi, Kroussin, welcome to IBoats............

yes, hijacking threads is a no no, but no worries here, my pitchfork is safely tucked away at the moment. start a thread with pictures, and we will glad to assist in any way possible ..............

Dave

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Morning fellas!

Coffee is brewing up and I'm ready for some Monday action:)

Hey Kroussin - If you are loaded and don't know what to do with all your money, West System is excellent and boosts my local economy (they are right here in Bay City). Course I get my epoxy shipped in from Florida:rolleyes: US Composites and Clarkcraft are great choices for epoxy. Find it local in Upperland? Nah, not likely. Unless you are near one of the kayak/canoe builders up there, then maybe. They'll be using West System. Far as I know there are no "grades" to Gluvit, just a big kit and a small kit. You'd be looking for PL Premium. It used to be in a black tube with yellow lettering it now comes in a blue tube with yellow lettering. Great stuff!

Well, most of my day will be spent Landlording and moving wood today but boat goals would be:

1. Finish epoxy work on the hatch covers.

2. Must find somebody to weld up one of the fenders on the trailer today. I want that painted by tomorrow.

3. Buy a bunch of gear for all the finish work.

4. Start prepping the gunwales for paint.

Cheers:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Here's the crack on my fender that I need to get welded up today...
IMAG0129.jpg

I'm going to eventually install Bert's Tracks on this SN so I want a good backer for the gunwales. Rather than take the time to cut and epoxy some ply I just grabbed a chunk of this Trex decking the other day...
IMAG0006-1.jpg

I'll use that for my cleats too.

Hatches look pimp.

Double what EZ said^^^^

Thanks guys! These are the stainless Southco Locking Latches that will find their way on em soon...
IMAG0005.jpg

Saaawwweeeeeeet:D

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

those latches look sweet, why not just replace the fenders???

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

why not just replace the fenders???

They are welded on so I'd have to cut em off, buy and bolt on new ones. More dough and time than to just take it to my local welder eh:)

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

They are welded on so I'd have to cut em off, buy and bolt on new ones. More dough and time than to just take it to my local welder eh:)

good point, well taken

jbcurt00

Staff member

Why not just replace the fenders???

They are welded on so I'd have to cut em off, buy and bolt on new ones.

Besides, we all know 'new' fenders would be attached to a trailer, w/ a forlorn glasser sitting on it... I'm sure you can see where this is going....

You'll need good locking latches on all those bow hatches w/ that 90 trimmed out and screaming at WOT. They look good too...

Tried to find a puma in a box to send ya, kind of like snake in a can:facepalm:

But alas, the internet was broken down my way & I had to go outside into Dante's playground.

Ugh, you were right, trailer work does suck... Heat or no heat & it was set to broil all weekend:mad:

Did the locking latches come w/ a metal catch for the other side? They look great.

InMotion

Commander

Rollin' rollin rollin... nice work man... keep the fires burnin'!!! Almost there!!

Weather should be a tad more favorable this week!

J.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Hatches are looking sweet!

Hope there's enough metal left under that rust to get a good weld.

And for the big crux of the rear deck/seat - I'd let you slide if you ghetto'd it up and threw two coolers back there for the vacation. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Did the locking latches come w/ a metal catch for the other side? They look great.

Hmmmm, they should have. I'll have to look again as now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing one in the bag there.

Weather should be a tad more favorable this week!

Oh ya, way cooler this week, mid/upper 80's. Last week was a scorcher.

And for the big crux of the rear deck/seat - I'd let you slide if you ghetto'd it up and threw two coolers back there for the vacation. :D

I'll take that consession!:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hmmmm, they should have. I'll have to look again as now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing one in the bag there.
Yeah, you usually give us a shot of all the parts pcs, thought they might've ended up loose in the box or in the shipping packing.

Through bolts in the Trex, not screws, correct......

jbcurt00

Staff member

Outstanding, I figured the tracks would or you'd lock em down good... I was thinking the cleats:facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I was thinking the cleats:facepalm:

Oh man, yah, no screws for the cleats. Boy, that would be a serious bone head move.

Yah, I'm not quite as dumb as I look, close though:redface:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, got a few important things done today:

1) Placed a huge order for pretty much all the gear I need to finish this rig. Felt good knowing that stuff is on the way. And yes, part of that order was the Drain Tube Flange Tool;)

2) Ordered up some decals for the Evinrude, those should be purdy cool. I hope you guys like what I'm thinking.

3) Got that trailer fender welded...
IMAG0132.jpg

I took it to a pro but uh, it just looks ok to my untrained eyes I suppose. I was thinking it would have been a little neater work there. Ah well, not a biggie. I kinda thought it matched the scar on my right fender...
IMAG0136.jpg

I need to have that trailer painted tomorrow.

4) I got the top sides of the hatches all sealed up and sand tossed in for texture...
IMAG0130.jpg

5) I got a big ol box delivered today, there was a windshield sent from a super awesome iboater...
IMAG0003-1.jpg

I'll pull that apart to see if it'll work on this rig in the morning. Thanks George!:D

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad they made it there safely. Hope they work.

Enjoy

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Glad they made it there safely. Hope they work.

Enjoy

Even better that they came from a sacrificial glasser;)

Shhhhhh, don't tell the glitter boat guys though. They get all grumpy about such things:D

Status
Not open for further replies.