1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Very nice work, particularly the lip around the entire hatch.

It looks like those hatch lips were made for a set of the seals that CC254 made himself out of silicon cured in a 1/2 moon greased piece of pipe, or pvc trim molding of some sort, can't recall. Esp if made slightly oversized & compressed via the hatch's latch... Might even make them tall enough to seat into a shallow routed channel run @ the underside of the hatch on the 3 non-hinged sides.... Since you custom tailor the size to whatever gasket size you need, there could be a piece run along the vertical face of the hatch's hinge side ply. It gets compressed as you shut the hatch all along that ply edge.

Nice work once, esp in the early am. 2 a days, hmmm.... May require a slight siesta mid-afternoon:D

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Jason. I've been away from the site for a while and have lots of catching up to do. Glad to see your hand is healing up and that you are back to eating cake.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great job as usual Jason, I like how the design is coming together.
Glen

Thanks Glen! Getting that bow deck in was a big step, this thing should start to look like a boat from here on eh:)

Very nice work. I'm going to take some of your construction ideas when I re-do mine particularly the lip around the entire hatch.

Yah, that really serves a couple of purposes. Obviously stops the hatch cover but also makes the hatch a full inch thick, very strong. Especially with the Peanut Butter fillet;)

May require a slight siesta mid-afternoon:D

Oh gosh, how I'd love one of those!!! Though, I have little ones - 8, 5, and 4, mid day naps are a no go:rolleyes:

Looking good Jason. I've been away from the site for a while and have lots of catching up to do. Glad to see your hand is healing up and that you are back to eating cake.

Yah, the hand is doing great - I can actually make a full fist, wasn't expecting to be able to ever do that again, cool!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Side note, this is why I'm not a real fan of Gorilla Glue...
P1080772.jpg

I can scrape it off easy enough so no biggie.

When I was looking at it I couldn't help but wonder if a fella didn't want to go with Gluvit to seal up the seams and rivets...
P1080773.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

K, last night I pulled the clamps off the transom - wow, 2" transom is beefy! I ran a dry fit, nice and snug, had to hammer on it a bit to get it in. Course after I marked and drilled everything I couldn't get it out, so grabbed the chain fall...
P1080774.jpg

This morning I ran the belt sander to even everything up and ease all the edges. Here's the first coat of epoxy on...
P1080777.jpg

For the bolt holes and drains I didn't over drill and fill this time. I did over drill just a little but then I just grabbed a screwdriver, wrapped a shop towel around it, dipped that in epoxy and stroked it in each of the holes.
P1080775.jpg

It's Friday, have a great weekend guys!:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gorilla glue is a friggin' mess for sure.

64osby

Admiral

Nice redue on the transom Jason. Keep cranking.

Can I borrow your Stihl, I'm making progress on wood but not much, cut and split 2 trees so far, 15 or 16 to go. You're going to slay me on the race, but I should have my steering installed next week sometime.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Dude,...

Yous should have gotten this done and taken it to Jobbie Nooner!!!!,.......................:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

osby - Man, I have zero cords cut and split, you are smoking me! I have a lot of work to do:facepalm:

teamster - Jobbie Nooner, not my style, not even close. I can think of no good reason to be part of that.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I kind of figured that,........lmao,...

Not my kind of thing either, However I would like to make the trip to see it once,........

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thought to self - wonder what Jobbie Nooner is - Googled - :eek: just gonna say don't go to the picture page if you're at work.

That GG mess is a small price to pay for using the best glue ever. Scraping the foam away is a pain but I'm a big fan of the waterproof bond it gives so I'll deal with it. Keep moving on and I'll strike up the mob for a midweek seatrial. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Sea Trial you say??

Aaaaaaaaakkkkkk!!

That's supposed to be in 2 weeks!:eek::eek:

Smokes, I have mucho boat building to do, yikes! Man I got a long way to go!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Sheesh...last post at 10am??? Didn't you do anything today???

I did! (Shamless plug for my thread).

You are doing an incredible job!

jbcurt00

Staff member

W all the PL, 5200 & Gorilla Glue getting slung around, he may be stuck to the SN:eek:

I for one vote to wait til morning to see if the dew sets him free, the mob can get a minion to do a drive by @ 1130-12noon if he hasn't surfaced w some updates & pix:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, nothing especially photo worthy. Little bit of deck prep stuff and a bunch of coats of epoxy on the transom. I'm about to go check to see if it's cured up ready for sanding and install...

Rock on fellas!:D

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Gorilla glue is a friggin' mess for sure.

but Gorilla glue is forever, for sure.............

been gone for a while hunny do projects, nice work, jason!!!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Dave, I know very well about those kind of projects!:rolleyes:

--------------------------------------

K, the transom wasn't quite ready for install, getting there though. Maybe this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Few random items getting done. The topside of the fish box...
P1080778.jpg

Opening it up and seeing pink/blue foam is no good so 5200 all round smoothed out with a fat thumb and mineral spirits...
P1080779.jpg

That will get hit with paint when the time comes. Plus, if any water sloshes up I have a complete water tight seal.

I spent some time on this seam at the bow deck and bulk head too...
P1080782.jpg

Fill, sand, repeat. Then I got the router out to give it a nice edge and finish sanded...
P1080785.jpg

Hard to tell in the photo there but it's a nice round over...
P1080786.jpg

Have an excellent Sunday fellas!

Gibbles

Commander

Nice work so far!

Loved the vid of the glasser being put to bed with coco, and a nice bedtime story also. :D

Glad to hear the hand is going well, I had a finger crushed/pinched off and my wrist bent clear back...
it was a long recovery with surgery, nerve repair and pins...
I got full movement back, pretty quick, but it was a long recovery...
be glad you don't have to deal with nerves, sometimes it felt like my hand was on fire, other days numb... :D
And I'm the first one to know when a storm is rolling in... ;)

Planning on keeping that stainless steering wheel? :cool:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys!

Gib - Yah, I still have a bit of numbness but it seems to get less and less by the day. I'm thinking full recovery, cool! You noticed that SS Wheel eh? Yah, that'll be installed on this SN;)

OK, nothing else happening on this SN. Nope nothing at all.......

Uh, nope, nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.