1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Wow. For someone who likes the tin, you sure do a jam up job on carving wood.
Did you use the PL to glue the foam to the fish tank and the gas tank. I don't remember seeing that part.
Looks like a real pro did it. HAPPY FATHERS DAY to ya.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey decker, yup PL on the bottom and all sides, to the tank, foam, wood, everything. The whole set up feels very solid:)

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good, gonna kick some but on this one!!!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Wow. For someone who likes the tin, you sure do a jam up job on carving wood.

Yous would think he could be a shop teacher with skills like that!!!,................................................

Huron Angler

Admiral

Happy Father's Day Dads!:)

Right back at ya Jason, hope you had a good one with the family.:)

The deck looks excellent, can't believe you got it perfect on that scribe. I'm impressed(I went through two pieces of 3/4" ply for my bow...and still not satisfied with my work:rolleyes::facepalm:).

Glad to hear it's all solid, looks great and plenty of storage too.:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Yous would think he could be a shop teacher with skills like that!!!,................................................

Teamster...yous should see some of the sweet tiller handles that he's created on the lathe.:D:D

dozerII

Admiral

Your on a mission Jason, this boat will be on the water in no tme.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks fellas, appreciated! I must keep the blades turnin if this thing is to float mid July:)

This morning I got the rest of the hatch rings/stoppers glued up along with a few smaller items. Goal for tomorrow morning is to sand everything down and epoxy. I'd love to have this bow deck installed Wednesday:cool:

Rock on guys!:)

Oh hey, special day today - Happy 8th Bday to daughter bear McKenna:D

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bang up job! Happy Birthday to the little one! Don't eat too many sweets hate to have ya crash when there is some epoxy that needs love!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to the daughter hope you've nice enough that she'll let you have some cake n ice cream.

You on a sugar rush :eek: you definitely would get that deck wrapped up by Wed.:)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Jas, you are doing a great job so far. Seeing a boat come together right (and fast) makes for enjoyable viewing. I find myself looking forward to your updates each day (which means I was disappointed this a.m.).

I like the way that bow area came out. You mentioned maybe putting a pedestal seat up there - I recommend it. I fish standing up too, but its nice to sort of rest your legs and backside while trolling between spots, etc... Maybe just get one of the those that are flush to the deck and the pedestal part comes completely out when you stow the seat...

Have a good one..

~rpm

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Bang up job! Happy Birthday to the little one! Don't eat too many sweets hate to have ya crash when there is some epoxy that needs love!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to the daughter hope you've nice enough that she'll let you have some cake n ice cream.

You on a sugar rush :eek: you definitely would get that deck wrapped up by Wed.:)

Oh man, I have eaten sooo much cake and ice cream over the past couple days:eek:

See, the women folk in my family really like to stretch out bdays, have multiple parties n stuff. I found my self asking Jen "Didn't we just have a party for Ken yesterday. We're having another one?" I love it though, puts me in front of the grill, BBQin burgers and such. I like that:D

Jas, you are doing a great job so far. Seeing a boat come together right (and fast) makes for enjoyable viewing. I find myself looking forward to your updates each day (which means I was disappointed this a.m.).

I like the way that bow area came out. You mentioned maybe putting a pedestal seat up there - I recommend it. I fish standing up too, but its nice to sort of rest your legs and backside while trolling between spots, etc... Maybe just get one of the those that are flush to the deck and the pedestal part comes completely out when you stow the seat...

Have a good one..

~rpm

Sorry about that bro! Yah, I did get some work done but didn't have time to shoot some photos for ya, so, I didn't bother with the update. I got all the hatch rings laminated in place and the edges eased with the sander. I also laid down some epoxy. That said I should have no trouble getting that bow deck installed tomorrow a.m.

I'm really looking forward to getting that fat chunk of bow deck in place, kinda feel like it'll be a bit of a turning point in this project:)

Thanks for the compliments man:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, project update!

Final pieces of the bow deck structure was all the way forward. I installed this pair of alum brackets I ripped off of some boat somewhere, they were a perfect fit...
P1080759.jpg

Then this epoxied Arauco plate that will laminate to the very nose of the bow deck...
P1080762.jpg

Here's what the bottom side of the bow deck looks like with all the hatch backers laminated...
P1080758.jpg

Nothing elegant there, I just used scraps and stuff but the topside view is all good. I ran Epoxy Peanut Butta around the edges too, uber strong;)

I ran another test fit just to be sure I didn't mess anything, all good, gooped up the topsides of the bulkheads wit PL and installed with a bunch of SS screws and a pile of weight...
P1080763.jpg

Yah, there's actually a bow deck under all that stuff:)

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just love looking at your "clamps." :D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Its a good thing you put that shop vac on top of the storage box - just eyeballing it, I think that led to perfect weight distribution.:)

Looks good... I had no reason to doubt you at all, but I'm impressed with the way this is coming together. Would you say its easier/faster given your experience on the Jet...or are you just in a frenzy because the boat rental place is wanting you to confirm your reservation for the July trip?

bear_69cuda

Commander

Looks great brutha Jas, I plan on same type of backing for hatches... Are you using the cutouts with hinges for the hatch covers?

Peace doooood!

Happy 8th Bday to daughter bear McKenna? Bear?????? enlighten me dood.....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I just love looking at your "clamps." :D

Yah, I'd love to own a nice set of Bessy's but I feed from the bottom:facepalm:

Would you say its easier/faster given your experience on the Jet...or are you just in a frenzy because the boat rental place is wanting you to confirm your reservation for the July trip?

Oh gosh man, I still have a very long way to go, sooooo much to do! I don't think I'm going any faster at all. I do have things to complete on this SN that I didn't on the Jet (digging out expanding foam, T&T on the engine...) but I had things to work through on the Jet that I won't have to on this SN (bow surgery, gunwale trim work...). So yah, just a little different is all. I sure don't feel any faster! Matter of fact, I was just thinking that I'm going to need to go to "2 a days" (for those of you who played football). Yup, a.m. and p.m. short work sessions to git this thing done. Now, if I could just stay awake later than 8 in the evening:rolleyes:

Looks great brutha Jas, I plan on same type of backing for hatches... Are you using the cutouts with hinges for the hatch covers?

Peace doooood!

Happy 8th Bday to daughter bear McKenna? Bear?????? enlighten me dood.....

I picked up these SS Z hinges a while ago. I'll see if I can dig em out snap a photo for ya.

Yah, my common nick name for her is "Ken" but I sometimes call her "Daughter Bear" too. Dunno why, just do I spose, always have:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

K, I pulled all the weight off this morning and here's what I found under there...
P1080771.jpg

Bow deck is installed! First thing I did was jump up there and check it out, SUPER BOMBER, love it!:D

That adds so much usable space and storage to this boat, excellent:)

Threw my rough cut hatches in place just to take a look...
P1080769.jpg

Once they are hinged...
P1080770.jpg

I'm really happy with how this is coming together:)

I also got a few minutes to cut and laminate that additional 1/5" to the transom, now in cure mode.

Cheers fellas!

dozerII

Admiral

Great job as usual Jason, I like how the design is coming together.
Glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very nice work. I'm going to take some of your construction ideas when I re-do mine particularly the lip around the entire hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.