1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Wow, I'm away for a few months and missed a ton! Man, it's gonna take a while for me to catch up... Excellent work, that's gonna be a fishing machine! Can you slow down a little, you're making me look bad! :redface:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Looks great! Looks like its going to a safe, solid, durable rig... The metal fish box is really cool...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys, appreciated! I feel like this is coming together pretty well so far:) Though the toughest part of the project is yet to come. The stern deck/bench will be the crux for sure, more on that later.

The deck epoxy wasn't ready for me to be walking around it yet so I'll see if I can get at it first thing in the a.m.

Ryan built a sweet Lego boat, notice the windshield color;):cool:
IMAG0019.jpg

You ever feel like you've bit off more than you can chew? This was a cool backyard diversion for the boys and I this afternoon...
IMAG0042.jpg

We watched that snake try to get that frog down for about an hour before he finally gave up. The frog hopped away, little slow, but he hopped.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Jason. You do seem to be making serious progress, keep at it!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

OK, so I'm out of touch for going on a month and I come back to see like 6-7 pages of progress...got a lot of reading to do to get all caught up to date, but it sure does look like you are well on your way to making the slightly delayed splash date and reporting on that there new-fangled Extreme steering system...great goin Jas...U-da-Hombre!

PS-Two things, anytime you need to recharge with some good strong black and a heaping helping of steak&eggs, you are welcome at my place anytime...And,... where you putting the batteries???:confused::rolleyes::p:D

Decker83

Commander

That poor ole frog. That's what I call snakebit..ouch!!!!
Your work is looking excellent. As always.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks fellas, appreciated! Oh man Gus, I could go for a big ol breakfast right about now. Man that does sound good:D

Well, yesterday was a win/loss day. One step forward, one step back sort of a deal.

I'm about to go out and see if I can get a quick win here and I'll report back later;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Allllllrighty. So yesterday I got the transom all bolted in. SS bolts all lathered up in 5200...
P1080797.jpg

Installed a pair of nice beefy U Bolts at the transom. I believe these were swiped off of the sacrificial 4Winns...
P1080798.jpg

Here's kind of an weird thing I did. I was eyeballin that seam and got to thinking about a "big boned" fishing buddy who might jump in the boat from a high dock. Could very well happen I spose. So, I grabbed a chunk of foam board and slathered it in 5200. I then wedged it tight in between the hull and deck laminating the whole works together...
P1080806.jpg

Shoved one in the other side to. I figured hey what the heck, can't hurt any:) Once painted up I think they'll be hardly noticeable.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Now, as much as I'd like to go with DuraBak on this deck there is just no way I am working that in the budget. So sanded deck it is!:)

I grabbed a bag of sand, mixed up a big batch of epoxy and went to work. Right away I noticed that there were larger grains of sand in this bag. Really small pebbles actually. Way too big for a deck! The past couple of times I did this the sand was great right from the bag. Bah, I already mixed the epoxy, gotta go on! I'll just pick out the big ones after I'm done.

Then, about half way through the bow deck my epoxy got super hot, solidified, and started smoking...

Rats!!!!!!:(

I think the combo of a large batch and the high temps yesterday afternoon messed me up there.

So, fail and fail!

I went back and scraped off the whole mess before it started to cure on the deck...
P1080796.jpg

Ah sheesh, that stunk.

I then went ahead and screened that sand. Yah, should have done that at the outset! I didn't have to for the other two decks so I didn't even think of it. What a dope. Look at all that, about like gravel!
P1080801.jpg

That's enough for the day.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

This morning I made new (smaller batches) of epoxy and "salted" in the nice, fine sand.

P1080802.jpg

P1080803.jpg

P1080805.jpg

Very nice:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think you work better in the morning :p

Brennan's last batch of play sand has tons of that gravel in it as well. I think you're better off with the non-kid-friendly silica based sand for these types of things.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think you work better in the morning :p

We've never actually met EZ, but you definitely know me^^^^.

I find it takes me twice as long to do the same jobs in the evening and am waaayyyy more apt to mistakes:rolleyes:

If it's too late, I'll just start drooling on myself:facepalm:

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

I find it takes me twice as long to do the same jobs in the evening and am waaayyyy more apt to mistakes:rolleyes:

If it's too late, I'll just start drooling on myself:facepalm:

I'm the COMPLETE opposite. Definitely not a morning person. No patience, angry, sleeping... The morning is really not a good time to work for me. :facepalm:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

...but when your working on the boat at 2am, do you consider that morning, or very late evening???

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Ground up walnut shells for media blasting works well also.It works real good in deck and top side paints as a non skid.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hi fellas. Yah 2 a.m. I should still be in my Hulk footie jammies. 3 or 4 I'm ready for action;) Yah Ben, I thought about that stuff. The screened sand worked great. I just needed to screen it:rolleyes:

K, spent some time at Menards today, grabbed some plywood for non boat building projects. They had BIG BOSS noodles on sale for 2 for $4, they are the biggens...
IMAG0058.jpg

...so I just grabbed a half dozen. Those can go up under my gunwales n stuff.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'm also getting pretty darn close to paint work. While I was there I was alookin...

IMAG0047.jpg

I think they called this one "Green Grass"
IMAG0048.jpg

This is kindof a nice shade of blue...
IMAG0051.jpg

This would look nice on a boat I think...
IMAG0049.jpg

This would be fun!
IMAG0045.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Bah, I'm too lame I think. Just a plain jane kinda guy I spose.

IMAG0046.jpg

All white would be classy
IMAG0050.jpg

The gallon sizes are on sale too;)

Status
Not open for further replies.