1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Jas, you'll be glad you filled that two foot gap in with the cross braces. The 1/2' floor in mine is bouncy right there without the foam under it for support. I had no plate in the gap like tinman described, but mine had a swing back bench seat that was bolted to the deck, not individual seats. I thought the gap was left there to allow for the installation of the drainage system in the bottom of the hull. Whatever it is for it is a big gap and you need to support it somehow.

If I had it to do over I would have used 3/4 Auruco for my floor, for $10 more a sheet. Mine had 1/2 from the factory, but the foam provided a bunch of support under the deck.

Looking good man, you is fast, fast, fast.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Eh guys, thanks for swinging through!

OK, progress, got a little bit done on the fish box.

I needed to build a platform so shaped and laminated some blue foam board (by the way, 2 freebees of 1"x4'x8' foam board from dad's garage, thanks!!)
P1080696.jpg

This makes a great base for that (will be) fish box...
P1080698.jpg

It also brings it to the proper height for the deck to clear the fuel tank fittings...
P1080697.jpg

I just need to chop the top, insulate and install:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, I think it's time to talk about the deck on this boat. I took just a bit of a detour on this part, nothing huge, just different from the standard deck build.

One cool thing is that it will be exactly 8' in length, super convenient for building with plywood. Going with 1/2" Arauco for the deck, eh.

I scribed/cut the bow piece and then laminated a big 1" thick plate (making a full 1.5") to the underside where the pedestal seats will eventually be installed...
P1080678.jpg

Now here is were things detour a bit. See, I kept thinking about running expanding foam for the sound deadening and deck support aspects. I was also thinking way back in the day about how I built the bulkhead for the Jet Star. Strong/stiff/ridgid (just 1/4" thick ply here)...
P1070306.jpg

Well, in my mind, this is the next best to expanding I suppose. I took 2" thick foam board and laminated it to the bottom side of the deck...
P1080679.jpg

Then I continued laminating fat pieces of foam board to the bottom side of the deck...
P1080682.jpg

P1080683.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Here's what it looked like on the bottom side, all laminated up...
P1080695.jpg

Top side...
P1080694.jpg

So this morning I finished up sealing all the edges and dropped the whole deck in the boat...
P1080700.jpg

P1080699.jpg

I walked around on it after I dropped it in, waaaayyyyy solid feelin;):D

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good. Im fairly new to this, so dont blow me out of the water if im missing the obvious somewhere. How are you fastening the deck down with the added foam raising it up off the stringers? While foaming my boat, all i could think of was making sure i had enough anchors in my supports and through my decking(when i get to that part) to keep that foam from blowing out in the event of something really bad taking place on the water!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, rivets would just be way to long in this case, I'd need 4 inchers. I'll just run long decking screws;)

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't believe how quickly you work Jas. I like what you did with the foam on the bottom

64osby

Admiral

Jason, Great work on the foam I like the vertical 1" and the 2" laminated to the deck is very cool. That should reduce the chop slap noise. Are you going to surround your mega tank too?

Race update - I submitted my info Monday, no response yet. I cut up most of one tree over the weekend, but the sprocket fried on my saw, waiting on new part. I'm dead in the water so to speak. Your screaming along, way to go. I'll keep playing with my Lone*Star.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I can't believe how quickly you work Jas. I like what you did with the foam on the bottom

I'm sloooooooooowwwwwww..........

Man, if I could get like a few actual "days" to work on this I know I could get a lot done!

Jason, Great work on the foam I like the vertical 1" and the 2" laminated to the deck is very cool. That should reduce the chop slap noise. Are you going to surround your mega tank too?

Race update - I submitted my info Monday, no response yet. I cut up most of one tree over the weekend, but the sprocket fried on my saw, waiting on new part. I'm dead in the water so to speak. Your screaming along, way to go. I'll keep playing with my Lone*Star.

Thanks man, yah, there will be a bunch of foam/structure stuff going in for the bow deck build. Hang tight, I'll be picking away over the next couple weeks on that part.

I'll need to get all that settled before I can hash out my console. Only then can I measure for my Xtreme steering system. I gotta get moving!

(really extreme when I make it big bold letters like that:D)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not meaning to Hi-Jack, but what's up with the Canoe?????!!!!!:confused:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Not meaning to Hi-Jack, but what's up with the Canoe?????!!!!!:confused:

So sad, she's been hanging there for quite a while now. She mainly holds kid gear these days, bummer. That's an Old Town Discovery and has served me well - big trips to Boundry Waters, Killarney Provincial Park, Isle Royal, great expeditions, great memories:D

I need my kiddos to grow just a little bit more before I can pull her off the rack again, I'm really looking forward to it!:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Holy cow you are trucking right along I see:D

Nice work on the deck, I'm sure it has no flex the way it's designed.

We have not taken our boys out in the canoe yet either. V-hulls are way better for little kids.:)

Are you going to make a minnow bucket cutout in the livewell...or is that going to be a fish box full of ice for salmon and walleye?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, Quick and decisive, a whole new side of Jas I don't think we've seen before.:p

Moving right along Jas and looking good. Have I missed it, where are we in the count down to splash?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I'll need to get all that settled before I can hash out my console. Only then can I measure for my Xtreme steering system. I gotta get moving!

(really extreme when I make it big bold letters like that:D)

If you say TILLER I might tear up a bit,..............

dozerII

Admiral

Some real good Jason deisgn work going on there. With that foam on the underside of the deck the fish will never hear you coming.:D
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Story of my life right there

My boys are nearly there, I think I may try a quick/easy canoe trip this summer with em:D

Holy cow you are trucking right along I see

Nice work on the deck, I'm sure it has no flex the way it's designed.

We have not taken our boys out in the canoe yet either. V-hulls are way better for little kids.

Are you going to make a minnow bucket cutout in the livewell...or is that going to be a fish box full of ice for salmon and walleye?

Yah, just making that a simple fish box. I'll have a drain for it, throw some ice in, some sammages, few sodas, and if I'm lucky, couple fish too:cool:

Wow, Quick and decisive, a whole new side of Jas I don't think we've seen before.

Moving right along Jas and looking good. Have I missed it, where are we in the count down to splash?

Sorry to throw ya off there truck:p

Yup, I really want to sea trial round about 4 weeks from now. I do believe I am on track so far:)

If you say TILLER I might tear up a bit,..............

Hi teamster:rolleyes:

Some real good Jason deisgn work going on there. With that foam on the underside of the deck the fish will never hear you coming.
Glen

Thanks bro, I really like how this setup turned out!

Enjoy what is now, the years start flying by, and the kiddo's grow up real fast.

The high point of my day is coming home and having those littlens run from the backyard and tackle me as I am walking up the drive:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So ya, morning progress: made that deck a permanent part of the boat:D No photos, looks the same as it did yesterday, just with some screws and 5200.

After I got done I had a few minutes left before I had to go. I took that time to just kinda walk around on that new deck, man, feels very solid, like it, like it a lot;):cool::D

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Jas! Don't worry I'm still lurking in the shadows... Gonna try to see if the ole power plant on my nympher is firing on both cylinders today... Just keeping fingers crossed i dont do something stupid and get kicked in the shorts while pulling plug caps. That can happen after I reattach the shift shaft and re-install the starter and fix the leak in the primer solenoid :facepalm:

Why is it that when I read threads now i see things that I should have done or could change up.... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.