1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Ha! Yah, no juggs, I did the recycling right before the change in direction from the expanding foam. Ah well:)

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

You are moving right along. You will be motoring around before you know it. :)

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Very colorful and practical Jas... I may have copied your noodle idea when I installed the floor on my AC...

Looks good and coming along quickly!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Now that's some progress. :)

Been wondering though did you do anything to help stray H2O make its way to the bilge plug?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You are moving right along. You will be motoring around before you know it. :)

Looks good and coming along quickly!

Thanks fellas, I gotta keep moving forward if I have any chance of meeting my deadlines;)

Now that's some progress. :)

Been wondering though did you do anything to help stray H2O make its way to the bilge plug?

A little bit. I did dig out under the ribs where I could. I also drilled small through holes through the ribs so a "seep" could happen. But by and large, water will need to go up and over the ribs to make it's way back to the bilge. Just kinda the design of the boat. No biggee, at most I'll have about 1" in the bottom, right at the v, at the most. I can live with that.

dozerII

Admiral

I like it Jason, I so didn't want to have to come down there and kick your butt on that pour foam stuff. I am going to build a hot wire to cut the foam for the 201. In my previous life I built target drones for the military and that is what we used.
Glen

the tinman

Cadet

great read on the recon, so far. i have the same hull configured as the 171cc striper. little different at the rear for the self bailing motor well. the missing mid section cross piece is where the chairs bolt down to a plywood and alum plate, embedded in the foam. been reading your saga of the dripping foam and decided to rip out the remaining rear chunks today, even though, they don't seem to contain any moisture at the moment. the transom will be eaiser to install with the foam removed.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Lapline, just a bit every day, I'll get there;)

Ya Glen, a hot wire would be super easy way to shape all that stuff too. Do Kanucks actually know how to kick butt? Wasn't so sure I should really be afraid there...:D

Welcome to iboats Tinman! The SN Striper is a sweet boat, I love the deep hull, great for bigger water eh:cool: Yah, that expanding foam was ridiculous is so many ways. I'm ballparking that the foam alone weighed somewhere in the 500 lbs. range. Unreal:rolleyes: Hey, start up a thread with your project, we'd love to follow along:)

the tinman

Cadet

yeah jas, the layout caught my fancy immediately but wish i could have done a walk around before buying. it was an ebay donation sale and the pix always look better than the actual corrosion does, up close. the fellow said it was a fresh water boat but the amount of corrosion kinda makes me think otherwise. i notice your project seems to be relatively free of any corrosion, 'cept the stern panel where the transom held water against it. that is the issue i have on mine for the whole bottom. i've been running down all the photo's i've made and when they are organized, i'll post a few. i'm a couple of years into this now but it's not a strong priority on my list of projects. i just like to get out on the river ocasionally, but can't justify a new boat, or even a used, later model boat. u kinda gave me a turning point on the foam issue for the floor. i had considered the foam sheets, with a layer of glass on both sides, for a floor board and yes, the weight and balance issue was acute. the tounge of the trailer had broken at the tilt pin and was welded back solid, so that was a seperate project to cut the frame apart and straighten the frame rails then reweld every thing back to gether and put fresh rollers, lighting and winch back on. in fact, after removing all of the wet foam, the axle on the trailer had to be moved back to keep the assembly from tipping back on the frame. if the old merc 80 runs fair, it should be a lively ride with a dry bildge. the current prop pitch at wot should give 37 to 39 mph(minus 10% slippage.) that's good enough for a "rotten" bottom.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, just a couple of spots are kinda bad, one little hole poked through there on the transom skin. Not a big deal. I can't help but wonder if this boat would have been in salt it may have been completely eaten as there was trapped water everywhere.

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

I am glad I did not have your foam. ol 76 seen yearly salt water adventures and woulda been in trouble, keep up the progress and more pics :D

dozerII

Admiral

Ya Glen, a hot wire would be super easy way to shape all that stuff too. Do Kanucks actually know how to kick butt? Wasn't so sure I should really be afraid there...:D

:)

We have been known too a few times;)
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK guys, a.m. update, fuel tank installed:)

I riveted down these big beefy alum angles that I swiped from one of the hulls that crossed the property, don't remember which at the moment...
P1080690.jpg

Gobbed on a punch of PL and laminated rubber straps to the stringers...
P1080691.jpg

Then set the tank in place (added weight for cureing) fit like a glove...
P1080692.jpg

You'll notice I shifted it over just a few inches to the starboard, two reasons:

1) I wanted the top hatches to be symmetrical and I also wanted to access the fuel tank fittings so had to shift just a bit (if that makes any sense)

2) With the fuel lines running through the one side I only wanted to store stuff that I wouldn't need very much (tools n such things). So, the port side hatch is much bigger now for storing stuff (love that).

Added benefit is I now have a shorter run for fuel lines too (less $$).

The deck will pinch the stern side of the fuel tank and the bow casting deck will also sandwich it in place, it'll be totally bomb proof once it's all said and done.

Really happy with how that's turning out so far:D

dozerII

Admiral

Looking real good Jason, and like you said bomb proof.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

bomb proof.

I really like PL, I go through a lot of it!:D

------------------------------------------------

I also got some deck stuff done this morning. I think some of you guys will think it's interesting (or dumb, or cool) we'll see;)

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Since I ran out of noodleage I went to 1" foam board. Shaped like yo...
P1080687.jpg

Fit awesome up there...
P1080688.jpg

Ahh man.. I'm glad I seen that flat foam board. It didn't even occur to me to put htem in vertical. Way less wasted space under the deck that way. I think we have a winner for mine now.... THX! Good progress!

rrumba

Ensign

Burn and Turn, Turn and Burn Jas. you are moving through this one like your pants were on fire. keep it up. like the vert install of the foam. seems like a better fit and distribution. at least you stayed away from the bottles this time....... :facepalm: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.