1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

What about taking a standard 3 piece bow rider type windshield and remove the center hinged section? That would be a matched pair. But it would look more runabout like then center console. Just a thought as those are a dime a dozen around here.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What about taking a standard 3 piece bow rider type windshield and remove the center hinged section? That would be a matched pair. But it would look more runabout like then center console. Just a thought as those are a dime a dozen around here.

I am really wanting a pair of those curved sort of glass shields for dual consoles. I suppose if I can find something I'd prolly go with something like

http://greatlakesskipper.com/produc...ar-29-12-inch-boat-plexiglass-windshield.html

or similar.

What bout this?

Why is it that I want this on my boat?! And pretty sure it would fit nicely :facepalm:

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/3027567106.html

I think that would look sweet on your boat man:cool: Looking for a new project?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So, here's my bow set up is alookin...

P1080673.jpg

P1080674.jpg

You can see the big 45 gallon fuel tank scored from the donor. Yup, the taper is turned toward the stern which is all good. It fits fine and keeps my fuel fill/vent holes in their original location and minimizes my fuel line expenses. Like that.

You also see that 14 gallon tank bow side there that came with this SN. That's going to get a big hole in the top and insulated to serve as my fish box.

So here's what I'm thinking...

P1080674-1.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jas,

You are a man of many boats and many threads...

Have you called Taylor Marine? They make that style windshield and you might be able to custom order just sides?

http://www.taylormarine.com/windshields/select_system.html

I'll keep looking...besides, I'm bored this afternoon and the kids don't want to go to the gym :eek:(

Yup, the windshield in that link you posted would be perfect (sans middle window), I love that! Course, I'd sure need to cough up some serious cheddar for something like that.

Thanks for stopping in BU!:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

BU - Those are nice but a bit wide actually. My consoles are kinda on the medium size.

Teamster - Those are pretty cool, I may check into that if I come up short the other direction.

Thanks guys!

I am looking into these at the moment...
$(KGrHqZHJCgE-edmB9lLBPtGP+JUvQ~~60_58.JPG

I'll have to take a couple of measurements to see if they work, I can just slide those triangle wing sections right out.

Here's what they kinda look like on a boat...
sole20a.JPG

I think they might be a bit too "fast" for my SN here.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

The only thing about those I don't like is the glass,.....

I was an observer in a Midwest Walleye Tour event in 06' and the guy I was with pushed it a bit on the time to get back to the launch,...We had 42 minutes to go 36 miles in 3 to 5 foot seas,......The glass exploded out of the windshield about halfway back, But he made it to the weigh in in time,....

One of the gnarliest boat rides of my life,......

I don't imagine yous will find yourself in that situation,.......

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think that would look sweet on your boat man:cool: Looking for a new project?

Easy killa! Gotta get this one out of dry dock! Even when she is splashed... I am sure I can find plenty of upgrades and little additions to throw money into :facepalm:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Without the triangle part those would look very modern. They look spendy...?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Without the triangle part those would look very modern. They look spendy...?

Yah, that's what I was afraid of ^^^. I don't think I can pull those off on this boat. Bummer as it was cheap!

Thanks for posting up Dave:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, got some great progress over the past few days.

Cleaned up the transom skin, actually, the corrosion was bad enough that it just barely went through here...
P1080676.jpg

Not a biggee, fixable.

Ran Gluvit, just got the qt. size so you guys know I won't be buying another boat...
P1080677.jpg

Transducer holes all sealed up with rivets and 5200...
P1080675.jpg

Then on to flotation!
P1080667.jpg

Special thanks to my Kanuck bothers for the noodle building...
P1080668.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

After about 65 noodles shaped...
P1080685.jpg

P1080684.jpg

You'll notice that the guys at Sea Nymph skipped installing two stringers right at midships, so, I added some beefy cross braces for extra deck support.

Since I ran out of noodleage I went to 1" foam board. Shaped like yo...
P1080687.jpg

Fit awesome up there...
P1080688.jpg

K, all filled up...
P1080689.jpg

Grand total so far, 65 noodles, and two 4' x 8' x 1" foam boards. More going in;)

I also got a bunch done for the deck, hang tight on that...

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like how you cut the boards like mini bulkheads. That really fills up the space well, noodles, well, ya know how I feel about those.:facepalm:

As for the corrosion I suggest marine tex. A small can of that goes a long way and might end up being cheaper than little tubes of JB Weld.

Your making good progress bud!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, in the past I've ran the foam board through the table saw and tried to fit em. Such a pain, hard to do.

This morning I just used my utility knife and a drywall square, went pretty fast! Not quite as quick as noodles but much better than other ways I have done it before. Also, the triangle pieces I cut away fit just right as I worked closer to the bow, so hardly no waste scrap at all. Worked well, happy with that:)

$$ wise I do believe the foam board may be a just a little cheaper than noodles for the space. I think for the "next" boat I'll run that foam board just like that all the way;)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Next time that's what I may do as well. On my current resto I put some 1" boards between the ribs but still allowed for drainage.

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Yah, in the past I've ran the foam board through the table saw and tried to fit em. Such a pain, hard to do.

This morning I just used my utility knife and a drywall square, went pretty fast! Not quite as quick as noodles but much better than other ways I have done it before. Also, the triangle pieces I cut away fit just right as I worked closer to the bow, so hardly no waste scrap at all. Worked well, happy with that:)

$$ wise I do believe the foam board may be a just a little cheaper than noodles for the space. I think for the "next" boat I'll run that foam board just like that all the way;)

I use one of these to cut foam board.They can be found from $3 to $10.The really high quality ones can go as high as $30.Use a fine toothed blade.
PEX-374-124.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That ought to float your boat, Jas. I cut foam with a utility knife and straight edge for a deep score and snap it to finish the cut. That worked for me. I don't see any jugs - Going high tech this time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.