1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

64osby

Admiral
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

So ya, morning progress: made that deck a permanent part of the boat:D No photos, looks the same as it did yesterday, just with some screws and 5200.

Did you look underneath to see if you had any sharp points sticking out.:redface::D 4 weeks, I'll never get all my wood cut by then.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Why is it that when I read threads now i see things that I should have done or could change up.... :rolleyes:

That's the beauty of this place, by myself I'm just a big knuckle head. With the collective knowledge round here, I might actually be able to rebuild this boat:D

Did you look underneath to see if you had any sharp points sticking out.:redface::D 4 weeks, I'll never get all my wood cut by then.

I actually thought about that ahead of time, yah, did something smart!!!:D I measured out before I started drilling. Had I punched a couple in at the very outside corners at the stern, they would have been poking through! I'm a happy dood when I make legitimate smart moves;)

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Gotta feel sweet to have some deck in!!!!!

the tinman

Cadet

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm...dium=email&utm_campaign=2312a&utm_source=1003

and a roll of plastic and duct tape would make a quick and easy vac bag system to adhere the foam and floorboards. one problem might be the length of the fasteners and the foam not supporting the full length, might allow the floor to shift enough to wiggle the fasteners loose over a period of time. proably picking the corn outta the sh,..... but just a thought.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Gotta feel sweet to have some deck in!!!!!

Yah, that's good stuff getting the deck in;)

adhere the foam and floorboards. one problem might be the length of the fasteners and the foam not supporting the full length, might allow the floor to shift enough to wiggle the fasteners loose over a period of time.

I'm not certain I'm getting yur gist, but...

The foam is completely laminated to the deck, it'll never move, or hold water. The foam is actually stuck to the entire deck, so 100% supported. The fasteners are actually sealed up with 5200 so if the boat was completely obliterated by an angry sea monster, with big teeth, purple one with yellow stripes, the screws would likely be still stuck in place to the deck. So ya, their not moving either.

I'm afeelin purdy good about it;):)

Cheers fellas!

Triton II

Commander

I'm not certain I'm getting yur gist, but...

I'm thinking that tinman thinks because the foam is sitting on the stringers when you walk on the deck it'll compress where the stringers push against it and over time the deck will settle into the boat, letting the fasteners loosen. Just MHO, maybe tinny didn't mean that at all! :) However if they're 5200'd in, I doubt they'll move much! :D

TII

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ah! Yah I can kinda see that process maybe.

Well, I kinda ran some informal "tests" before I went this route just to be sure it wouldn't compress on me. This 2" thick stuff takes quite a bit to crush and when weight is distributed through the 1/2" ply, across all the stringers I got, and a bunch of weight shared by noodleage, I'm betting I'm aok on that front.:)

the tinman

Cadet

hmmm! i just think that many hours of chop and rock and roll with the floor able to move ever so slightly fore and aft and laterally, the .090 metal of the ribs will eventually auger or wallow out to allow the screws to maybe pull out. as an example, take just the flooring and run your 3in screws down through so they become miniture legs, supporting the board approximately 2 plus inches above the floor. if u drilled the holes slightly undersize, the tension of the threads in the wood holdls the screws ridged against lateral motion in any direction. if attaching the floor to another structure, then the holes have to be large enough to allow the screws to spin in the wood to assure tightening the screw enough to hold tension to the other structure. now, place the 2in foam between the floor and the cross ribs. even with the foam glued to the floor, the foam has no lateral support for the screw shanks. the saving grace is the fact that u have dozens of rows of screws so that hopefully, drawing then tight will have enough friction against the cross pieces to prevent the foam from shifting, and allowing the screws to be tilted in any direction. i love your approach and will probably use it with the exception of cutting the 2in foam into 11in wide sectons so that they can be glued to the bottom of the floor but in between the cross pieces to allow the wood to be connected to the metal cross pieces. in fact, adding another layer to the bottom of the floor instead of placing the slices in the bildge. then cleaning out the boat each year will entail only removing the screws and lifting out the floor with all the foam attached. hopefully, this would allow enough ventilation to prevent the trapped water issue that plagued the poured foam.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

K, this morning, I stood and walked around and looked and poked and prodded and eyeballed and thought and stewed and drank coffee. Yah, that deck ain't going anywhere.

cutting the 2in foam into 11in wide sectons so that they can be glued to the bottom of the floor but in between the cross pieces

I thought about this approach but decided against it. My thoughts are by having the foam the entire length/width with the deck the full advantage of rigidity is had. Also, by sandwiching foam between the stringers and deck it helps minimize the noise/vibration that would otherwise be transferred straight to the deck.

Pretty small (maybe insignificant) subtleties, but just thinking.

--------------------------------------

Morning progress: I got started on my bow side bulkheads (foam sandwiches), there will be three total up there. Just need to keep the blades turnin;)

Hey, have an excellent Friday guys!!

:D:D:D

64osby

Admiral

Another approach to the foam laminated deck might be to use 1/4" or 1/8" on the bottom. There would be wood to alum contact and the chances of compression would be very minimal or nil.

1/2" ply + 1" foam + 1/4" ply = one very solid floor, 2" foam even more so. Additional benefit is added flotation. My .02

Jason, what did you use to glue the wood / foam together? I might have missed it.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, that was my initial thought, but, I ran a few tests without the "bottom of the sandwich ply" and was quite satisfied that I didn't need it. Had I gone with less than 2" I would have put a bottom on.

PL man, love the stuff!;) Not just a few strings/globs either, spread/buttered over the whole surface, 100%:cool:

the tinman

Cadet

something i mentioned earlier about the rib construction and the fact that my hull had a sheet of 24x48in aluminum and 3/4 plywood between ribs two and four for mounting the pedestals for the seats but also for facilitating the removal the 2ft pieces of tunnel that was installed to keep the foam from closing off the center line of the hull. btw, i dont intend to reinstall the tunnel pieces either. the steering cable and control cables will be routed out of the console and up the right side in a gental curve to follow along the right gunwal. this gives them a direct shot at the engine connections and provides the least binding routing. routing them under the floor and up the eng in a striper model, causes complete loops that create unacceptaptable binding and accelerates wear on the controls to overcome it. hmmm, now to figure out the large pixel photo upload?:rolleyes:

jbcurt00

Staff member

just for sh & giggles, what's your beam at the new proposed dual console area?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

just for sh & giggles, what's your beam at the new proposed dual console area?

Good question, I'll put a tape on it in the a.m. and let ya know.

---------------------------

Progress accountability: more bulkhead building today. I'll see about installing the first one and some photos tomorrow.

Have a good one fellas!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I just might know a fella that recently might have acquired 2 un-needed windshields:facepalm:..........

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Whadgyoudo? Did you go out and buy more boats???

I thought I might go make this guy an offer...

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/3052875740.html

Those have the curve I'm looking for but I can't quite tell if it's just plain ugly:confused:

Edit: Looks like I'm between 6 1/2' and 7' range depending on where those consoles land.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

looking real good over there, Jason. I think this off season i might seriously start looking for a 16 to 18 footer over here,myself and do one of your numbers on it.:p

on the kiddo's, keep in mind my time is flying like mad over here.
Ben is now looking at colleges and josh goes to high school next year. :facepalm:

i have some serious memories in our old town discovery 174............. where it all started :cool:

great times great times :)

LOVE the new floor, but ummmmmmmmm where is the transom ???

jbcurt00

Staff member

Whadgyoudo? Did you go out and buy more boats??? I thought I might go make this guy an offer...
http://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/3052875740.htmlThose have the curve I'm looking for but I can't quite tell if it's just plain ugly:confused:

Edit: Looks like I'm between 6 1/2' and 7' range depending on where those consoles land.

Well this:
GalvTrailer.jpg

Needs the walk plank straightened, a new winch, and a cross brace needs to be welded. But towed like a champ w/ 2 new tires:D

It was under the host for these:
Windshield.jpg

They are tempered glass, Taylormade, and a bit angular compared to the curved version you might make an offer on, but they are assembled w/ rivets so they would ship flat.... And the price is right: $0 + shipping;) Measure: 19.75" up from the dash, 27.5" along the top of the windshield, 39.5" along the gunwale, and 32.5" along the diagonal top piece.... Didn't transfer well when I posted the pix, you can't hardly read the #'s.

I haven't measured the other set, but it was a package deal for the pair & only 1 trailer:facepalm: I am taking a mockup for work up to a big boat swap meet on Friday & really don't want to bring back anything I take, so they'd probably be <$40 for the pair anyway. There's tons of parts & pieces coming off both this week.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah Dave, my Old Town was the first actual boat I bought with my own $$ and could call my own. I'm looking forward to future adventures in that canoe:D

LOVE the new floor, but ummmmmmmmm where is the transom ???

Actually, I was laminating two 3/4" pieces of Arauco together just as you posted that ^^^. Excellent timing:D I'll post up the photos when I get a chance.

JB, thanks for thinking of me buddy:) I have a couple of tri hulls near by that I could probably buy, scrap, swipe the windshield, sell the trailer, make money on. Do I really want another glasser on the property:rolleyes:

I am coming to the conclusion that my sweet curved windshields might be out of reach. It's all good. So I'm leaning towards a pair of these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380356218400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I think they'd work well on this boat. I might go with clear or maybe this Green 2111 they offer on their site...

http://www.updplastics.com/acrylic color samples.htm

Might be kinda cool:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.