1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Im really liking the charcoal/dark silver look on a boat. Much like the color carpedium used on his not too long ago. From what paint is flaking off of mine right now, it appears it was originally silver. Not that i care about originality, I just think the color is sweet on certain rigs! Sorry, my skills on photoshop arent as nice as others on here, otherwise i would have "painted a picture for you":D

Triton II

Commander

Jas, that new Starcraft is SOOOO cool in black. I'm sure you can make the SN just as cool, if not cooler. How's the hand? :)

TII

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

BE - Yah, my photoshop skills are crazy awesome, hate to brag but when ya got it...

TII - Hmmmmmm, am I going to paint another black boat? I gotta wipe her down regular if I do though! Do you find that you have to do that a lot on your rig?

Yah the hand. It's healed up pretty good. Though I can't close up a fist like the old days. The pinky doesn't come all the way in tight now, sticks out kinda. I may have to give up cage fighting now I spose.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

blue is the new black??? although it might get just as dirty easily ????? i dunno, i LOVE a dark deep marine blue myself..........

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK guys, I'd be happy to take some help sourcing windshields for this rig as timing is a bit short. If you happen to come across something like these in your travels...

http://www.boatsvillenetwork.com/boats/176639/1008226.jpg

...hollar!

I've been looking a bunch and not seeing much out there. I can find one side on eBay but I'd like to try for a dual console rather than just a side console. A matched pair for reasonable $ will be a very tough find I fear.

Thanks!!:)

maddiedog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figured you would just hack up another glasser for the windshield!:D

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like you really want a SS.
Charcoal over polished aluminum or white would would be the bees knees.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I figured you would just hack up another glasser for the windshield!:D

I'd totally go that route if I could find a rotted glasser with a sweet windshield. That would be rare indeed!

Sounds like you really want a SS.

Well, I do like the little extra space a side console provides. At the same time the look of a dual console (symmetry) is good stuff. Also, with that 90 hp on the back I'm sure my passenger would appreciate the wind block;)

Plus, I've got that nice helm seat swiped from the glasser and the dual consoles ready for action. So, I really think this boat should be a dual rather than a side console. I think it'd be a pretty good fit:)

--------------------------------

Progress accountability...

I did a whole lot more plotting and schemeing this morning. I really had to get my bow deck layout figured to in turn figure my deck too. I do believe I have it figured. Fuel tank and lines, fish box, anchor hatch two storage hatches and structure stuff too, set for build (I think), like it:)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

If I ever do another rebuild I'll take my layout ideas from the Ranger 619/620/621 boats,..

Nothing I have fished out of yet has the storage layout as efficient as those,...

Have you considered using the bubble windscreens???,......They work well and it might make the rebuild faster,...

A full windshield is a maintenance issue and the catch a lot of wind when your fishing,.....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, the lexan/acrilic type windshields would be easier/cheaper to find. I just really like the others;)

I definitely don't want a full windshield, a swing out middle section would be a pain to me, pass on that.

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Jason, I think that is the right way to go, a little place to hide for the person on the left when your doing 40mph down the lake. Looking forward to seeing the layout. From experience on the ones I have done, make sure you have a place to step down to to fight big fish, if your front casting fishing deck is fairly high and the water is choppy it can get precarious standing up there. Just saying.
glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

From experience on the ones I have done, make sure you have a place to step down to to fight big fish, if your front casting fishing deck is fairly high and the water is choppy it can get precarious standing up there. Just saying.
glen

Yah, I hear ya Glen:) The good news is that I fully plan on catching and fighting humongo fish allllllll the time, yah baby!!!:D

(actually I'm a marginal fisherman at best, but I hope to have a nice boat to ride around in;):cool:)

Joeyscarola

Seaman Apprentice

Hey All,

I just got 1986 Sea Nymph, looks to be about the same design as the one getting rebuilt here. I am new to this, so i had a question. I plan on taking out the water logged foam after I finish ripping out the old wood deck. So my stupid question is, Is it 100% neccesary to replace the foam in between all of the stringers? I wanted to put in some kind of rod storage and/or baitwell under the deck.

Thanks,

P.S.... I hope I am replying to the thread correctly, if not sorry!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Joey, welcome to iboats dry dock!

OK, well, answer to your question may be a bit mixed from me...

1st, you can do anything you like to your boat. That's the beauty of this stuff, you are chief engineer, grand marshal of design, head pooba of the boat build!

2nd, personally, I'd absolutely not attempt to take foam out to replace with rod storage (only). Several reasons. Those stringers are super awesome structure for the hull and the deck, no way I'd take em out. The foam keeps you afloat if you are swamped, so what you take out should be replaced so you don't sink.

Just my thoughts man, but like I said, your canvas, do as you wish;)

Post up your project here in the forum, I'd love to follow along:)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey All,

I just got 1986 Sea Nymph, looks to be about the same design as the one getting rebuilt here. I am new to this, so i had a question. I plan on taking out the water logged foam after I finish ripping out the old wood deck. So my stupid question is, Is it 100% neccesary to replace the foam in between all of the stringers? I wanted to put in some kind of rod storage and/or baitwell under the deck.

Thanks,

P.S.... I hope I am replying to the thread correctly, if not sorry!

Hey Joey... welcome to iboats! You were almost correct but ya wanna stay away from hijacking people's threads. Plenty would be more than willing to help ya out. One thing that is recommended is do a search of the forums... many questions have been answered many times over and there is tons of great info out there. If ya can't find your answer just start a new thread.

Now for the foam. Big debate on what kind and whether or not to replace. Do a search trust me tons of info. As far as replacing in my opinion yes ya wanna replace it but what type to use again debatable. Jas here i believe started a great thread on pour foam... i went with foam insulation board. Just make sure the replacement foam is closed cell. Do a search and you'll find plenty of info on foam as well as putting rod storage/bait wells. Look for the starcraft restoration page... TONS of SC rebuilds all with good info.

Good luck to ya!

EDIT: Jas Beat me too it... I agree don't take stringers out but the foam removal shouldn't hurt too much... just like sticking in a below deck tank

EDIT 2: Well Joey guess i didn't read well enough! I have 1986 Sea Nymph SS155... Take a gander at my thread in my signature. Our stringer set up is different then the SCs but thats pretty much it... maybe transom set up as well but again minimal. SC rebuilds would be my resource suggestion to ya... Us Nymphers are few and far between but we hold in strong ;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Us Nymphers are few and far between but we hold in strong ;)

Plus we are incredibly intelligent and super good looking too! Total package really:D

K, just for fun, I phoned my local Starcraft dealer to see what a set of windshields like those up there ^^^^ would cost.

Answer: $1772.83:rolleyes: Plus tax:facepalm:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Plus we are incredibly intelligent and super good looking too! Total package really:D

Where's the little icon for throwing up in your mouth a little.... Oh, here it is:

vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-large.gif

K, just for fun, I phoned my local Starcraft dealer to see what a set of windshields like those up there ^^^^ would cost.

Answer: $1772.83:rolleyes: Plus tax:facepalm:

Ouch.... See icon above... In the south, we would call that "putting a 10 dollar saddle on a 5 dollar horse." Back to craigslist, we go.

Hope you are having a good week and gettin' a lot done.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OH man, PMC! My kiddos, all three of em are looking at your barf icon there right now and totally cracking up! They think he's gross!

To funny!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.