Admiral
I would think the whale snot comes in 55 gallon drums..:frog:
Don't you just love going to sleep and waking up thinking about tin..:tinfoil3:
Great ideal to flip a boat..

Actually it comes in 205 liter drums;):D

Most all of both my good and bad ideas come in my sleep:doh:

dozerII

Admiral
For all the other Canadians dealing with our bad Dollar I found a Canadian supplier for solid rivets in the hard or soft alloys a couple different lengths we need and sold by the pound. Shipped out of Toronto very reasonable.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
For all the other Canadians dealing with our bad Dollar I found a Canadian supplier for solid rivets in the hard or soft alloys a couple different lengths we need and sold by the pound. Shipped out of Toronto very reasonable.

Nice find, thanks!

InMotion

Commander
Great work Glen! Just getting caught back up on your progress! Looking great....

Jim

dozerII

Admiral
More strange stuff on this boat, I'm starting to think Johnny Cash had something to do with it. The rivet problems are really weird. I can pop the heads off real easy with a sharp wood chisel, some have a little corrosion under them, but then the buck tails just push out with a light tap with a punch. Plus of the 50 or so I have removed about 40 are 5/32 instead of 3/16, real strange.

hayko1971

That's a lot of rivet removal, are ya doing the whole boat? Lol. Must not have been bucked very tight, are you goin to just do them all 3/16?

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Hey Bob - I couldn't find any 3/16ths, ya think these will work.

Push another one down the line. Maybe they were paid piece work.

My brother used to work for an RV manufacturer, 5 lines with a team on each line 2 per day, no matter how long they take.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
More strange stuff on this boat, I'm starting to think Johnny Cash had something to do with it. The rivet problems are really weird. I can pop the heads off real easy with a sharp wood chisel, some have a little corrosion under them, but then the buck tails just push out with a light tap with a punch. Plus of the 50 or so I have removed about 40 are 5/32 instead of 3/16, real strange.

Whoa 50 removed? I sure hope you're replacing some as you go so the ole gal doesn't fall into two pieces on you. :lol:

That's some odd stuff going on with the rivets, at least there isn't any damage due to the loose rivets.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
I notice alot of the rivets on my 87 SS are 5/32 too. But I have pop'd a few off that had worn heads, to replace and they were all pretty tight still.

dozerII

Admiral
That's a lot of rivet removal, are ya doing the whole boat? Lol. Must not have been bucked very tight, are you goin to just do them all 3/16?

I think I'm Just getting started, and yes I'm going to drill them all to 3/16

Hey Bob - I couldn't find any 3/16ths, ya think these will work.

Push another one down the line. Maybe they were paid piece work.

My brother used to work for an RV manufacturer, 5 lines with a team on each line 2 per day, no matter how long they take.

That sounds about right 64, or I can picture the hull upside down, remember this is back in 79, and Cheech looking out from underneath in a cloud of smoke and saying next and Chong saying COOOOOOOL:cool:

Whoa 50 removed? I sure hope you're replacing some as you go so the ole gal doesn't fall into two pieces on you. :lol:

That's some odd stuff going on with the rivets, at least there isn't any damage due to the loose rivets.

When there are a few thousand on the bottom it doesn't look like 50 is that many. I have been using clecos on the each rib to make sure nothing shifts. I think I will replace these ones then carry on popping any heads that look suspect.

I notice alot of the rivets on my 87 SS are 5/32 too. But I have pop'd a few off that had worn heads, to replace and they were all pretty tight still.

This is the first I have seen of 5/32, and definatly not tight.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
would you try asking starcraft about it or would that be a lost cause? I guess ive read on here they arent that useful when it comes to getting info from them on their older boats.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
would you try asking starcraft about it or would that be a lost cause? I guess ive read on here they arent that useful when it comes to getting info from them on their older boats.

I'm thinking that would be like calling up Ford and asking them how come their 1979 F150 you're restoring has loose bolts. :lol:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm thinking that would be like calling up Ford and asking them how come their 1979 F150 you're restoring has loose bolts. :lol:

And Ford will wanna know if you're asking about the loose nut behind the wheel. LOL

Starcraft seemed to have a size problem way back. When I first got one, I asked about it because they used 2 1/2 inch machine screws for everything when maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 incher was needed. I think SC got a quantity discount for surplus hardware - screws, rivets, anything they could get their hands on.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant

Hahaha, Yeah I guess thats right. Didnt think too much into that one. :facepalm:

dozerII

Admiral
And Ford will wanna know if you're asking about the loose nut behind the wheel. LOL

Starcraft seemed to have a size problem way back. When I first got one, I asked about it because they used 2 1/2 inch machine screws for everything when maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 incher was needed. I think SC got a quantity discount for surplus hardware - screws, rivets, anything they could get their hands on.

Isn't that the truth, two pieces of 080 aluminum bolted together with a 2.5" stainless screw.

dozerII

Admiral
Haven't had a lot of time to work on the boat the last week, between yard work and trailer work, and work itself. My new Wefco rubrail insert came in UPS on Monday real nice looking stuff. I ordered 45 ft at $2.50 not bad, shipping was $68. then the UPS man demanded another $48. for brokering it, free trade my A@# Sure hope it looks nice for $285. Cdn.:eek::faint2:

hayko1971

wow! I plan to try and paint mine, then cover it with clear vinyl... if it doesn`t work out, then I`ll have to cough up the big bucks, but it`s worth a shot to me LOL!

dozerII

Admiral
wow! I plan to try and paint mine, then cover it with clear vinyl... if it doesn`t work out, then I`ll have to cough up the big bucks, but it`s worth a shot to me LOL!

That's a different idea, interested to see how that works out. Mine was badly damaged on the starboard bow, so I had no choice.