1979 18' v5

jbcurt00

Staff member
Man, the cheap awesome paint stripper doesnt really make up for $136 shipping... ouch...

dozerII

Admiral
Wow where does time go, the hull has been sitting upside down in the hanger looking like a porcupine for 5 weeks and no time to work on her.Had one of my drives quit the 1st of May so I have been doing his job as well as mine,plus training a replacement. Should get back to normal soon. Headed to the lake for a week of RnR this afternoon and some fishing in the Holiday. When we return I'm hoping to get back to work on the rivet replacement, then on to paint stripping!! :whoo:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
a week of R&R!!! nice...I remember many years back at my company they promoted an Indian to be my boss... like from across the atlantic Indian...Nice guy, but when I asked for 2 days off once, his reply was... TWO DAYS in the same WEEK????????????

aaaahhh, yeah!

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1979 18' v5

Thanks guys will post some pics next summer when it's all planted. The Admiral got all potty mouthed when I mentioned Pink Flamingos and Garden Gnomes, so I quickly blamed on YOU GUYS:D

I know it took two summers but here's a couple pictures of the best place for a rotten Glasser. We are in the middle of a drought so things are a little brown.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looks like low tide to me!

BTW - It's speeling. :eyebrows:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
thats awesome Glen! It would look cool with a moat/pond around it, but I'm sure no one wants to deal with the Mosquitos that would come with it. The rocks, pilings and plants look excellent

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Glen's monument to the wonderful and highly sought after rotten glasser, bravo!

It also appears that no tin was harmed in the making of the monument. :thumb:

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks guys the Admiral is pretty proud of her boat flower bed. They doubled our tipping fees at the local landfill so I may have to make this a land locked marina for any additional donor glassers that come my way.:facepalm:

Okay enough about glassers and flower beds lets talk about a V5.

I found a little time to work on her yesterday, she is still upside down and I'm working on the loose or bad rivets, here's the problem. While inspecting the rivets I will see one that the paint is cracked around, usually a good sign it is loose take my sharp wood chisel and hammer and give it a wack only to find it is solid, but the one next to it the head will just pop off, the shank corroded away. I'm finding it very hard to pick the bad ones and don't want to leave any of them. Never run into this before?:frusty:

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I found a little time to work on her yesterday, she is still upside down and I'm working on the loose or bad rivets, here's the problem. While inspecting the rivets I will see one that the paint is cracked around, usually a good sign it is loose take my sharp wood chisel and hammer and give it a wack only to find it is solid, but the one next to it the head will just pop off, the shank corroded away. I'm finding it very hard to pick the bad ones and don't want to leave any of them. Never run into this before?:frusty:

Not even in a bad dream have I seen that sort of rivet problem. That's going to take some time to resolve.It would be nice to know if a pattern emerges from v5 rivet debacle.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ugh, that doesn't sound like it was a fun day in the boat hanger at all. bummer......

1 by 1 rivet exam sound like a job that'll require some frosty adult libations

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
yuk! :eek: do the bad rivets make a different sound when you tap them with a hammer?

dozerII

Admiral
Not even in a bad dream have I seen that sort of rivet problem. That's going to take some time to resolve.It would be nice to know if a pattern emerges from v5 rivet debacle.

I wish it was a bad dream but I keep waking up to it.

Ugh, that doesn't sound like it was a fun day in the boat hanger at all. bummer......

1 by 1 rivet exam sound like a job that'll require some frosty adult libations

I'm trying to lay off them, but this kind of thing makes it real tough.

yuk! :eek: do the bad rivets make a different sound when you tap them with a hammer?

No difference in sound or looks which is making it real difficult. A couple I have gone to check with the chisel and they just pop off at the lightest touch. I will post a couple pictures of the next ones I find.

dozerII

Admiral
Here's what I'm up against, the first picture the circled rivet was solid and in tack and took a lot force to remove the lower one with the line to it just took a light wack and the head popped off. They both looked the same prior to removal.

This is a close up of the lower one, you can see the center of the rivet shank was corroded.

This next shot is of the heads of the two rivets, the one on the left is the corroded one.

And this pic shows one I just tapped and it came off.

Kind of a dilemma here as to how to move forward, which ones do you replace, sure don't want to re-rivet the whole hull.

dozerII

Admiral
Another question, whats the consensus on installing the rivets dry or with a little 5200?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
On man, what a pain, dozer. Do you think this was a slipped boat that got some electrolysis damage?