1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

When you finish your boat and some day sell it. It would be pricess to see the look on someons face if they ever remove the floor. ROTFLMAO Pugetsound I live in Mt vernon and just restored a16 SS that was in baaaaaaad condition. I also have a 22 Holiday with a 200 Johnson on the rear Good luck on your project.

Thanks Pudgetsound. I am sure it will bring someone a good laugh down the road.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks Pudgetsound. I am sure it will bring someone a good laugh down the road.

You know if (GOD FORBID) she ever breaks up out on the water...

I picture the Coasties looking for 20....30....45 SOULS IN THE WATER without PFD's on...lol

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You know if (GOD FORBID) she ever breaks up out on the water...

I picture the Coasties looking for 20....30....45 SOULS IN THE WATER without PFD's on...lol

I was thinking this too. I just pray that never happens.

on the bright side, at least there will be plenty of PFD's floating around for anyone who needs one! :D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is what I have so far. 20 life jackets almost fill the 2 center slots. I thought i had 5 more, but i can't seem to find them. It is a start, just need to hunt down some more of them.

IMG_0030.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well something followed my jeep home tonight. A friend of mine has this 22ft single axle trailer that he had a 17ft fiberform (now in my field) on it. He wont be getting around to the restore of his boat for a couple months and has told me that if I pick up a 17ft galvanized trailer (way easier to find) then he would just trade me trailers. So I just need to pick up a trailer for him and this one will be permanently under my starcraft.

Here are a few pictures. It was getting dark, but I am so excited that I thought it would post them anyway.

Tomorrow I will get some better pics, and my boat on the trailer. :D

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey that is cool!!! You may have to refit just a little but that is a sweet deal, nice!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You are doing all that work and what you think "might" work ............ The flotation needs to fill the spaces and based on your photo I highly doubt that will work. Stop being so cheap and get proper flotation or just sell the boat in the future and probably not reveal what is below deck.

This in my opinion was a very poor idea

Here is what I have so far. 20 life jackets almost fill the 2 center slots. I thought i had 5 more, but i can't seem to find them. It is a start, just need to hunt down some more of them.

IMG_0030.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I gave it some more thought....... do whatever you want

ever heard of Toxic Mold?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You are doing all that work and what you think "might" work ............ The flotation needs to fill the spaces and based on your photo I highly doubt that will work. Stop being so cheap and get proper flotation or just sell the boat in the future and probably not reveal what is below deck.

Bob,

I am not done with the flotation. That in the picture is not all I am doing. I fail to see how this is different than using pool noodles, or plastic bottles, or even foam sheets from home depot.

Also on the "toxic mold" I don't plan on keep the jackets in there covers. I am going to cut all the foam out of them and use that. I was simply laying it out in the boat to see how it would work.

I also don't see a problem with taking a little more time, finding deals, and saving money. I am choosing not to fiberglass the deck, because I want to see how long it will last without fiberglass. If i end up going back in 2 or 3 years to put a new one it, to me it is not a big deal.

This is my opinion.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If there is anyone else who thinks this is a bad idea, then please speak up. I want to know.

My goal with the whole boat is to make a safe, usable boat. I have no problem forking out the money on foam if I need to, but I am just trying to think out of the box a little. To me that is part of the fun, trying to be innovative and try out some new things.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think if you stopped with what you have there in the photo than I would tend to agree with Bob.

But...

I am not done with the flotation. That in the picture is not all I am doing. I fail to see how this is different than using pool noodles, or plastic bottles, or even foam sheets from home depot.

Also on the "toxic mold" I don't plan on keep the jackets in there covers. I am going to cut all the foam out of them and use that. I was simply laying it out in the boat to see how it would work.

I think as long as it's packed in there tight you should be great. If your logic is off than mine is too and would be rather thankful to be corrected.

Cheers!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today I got the boat on the trailer. It is a tight fit. my buddy was off a little on the length of it. I will need to extend the tongue about 2 feet, but for now the boat is on there so I can be working on it.

I got the transom cut out and the first coats of sealer on it. By end of tomorrow it should all be in place and that chapter done with for now.

Here it is on the trailer.

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Transom is in, deck is in, and pictures to come...

(I pulled out the life jackets, and I am going to use the pour foam. I have done a LOT of reading about wether to use it in aluminum or not, and I know the pro's and con's, and I have decided to do it.)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today I got the splash well painted and mounted in the boat. I also got the steering console in the boat. And I am hoping to still get the motor mounted tonight.

Things are coming along.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I got the motor mounted today and all the steering/throttle cables hooked up. The motor needs new starter teeth. They are so stripped out that they wont even engage the flyweel. Can i buy just the starter teeth or do i need a whole new starter? The starter itself works fine. it is a 1979 115hp evinrude for anyone interested.

Sometime in the next couple days, I am going to go pick up the pour foam and get it under the deck. After that I can start in on the interior stuff.

photo-1.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The part you're looking for is I believe called the "bendix". You should be able to find a used one. Mine was pretty rough also and my mechanic swapped it out for a less-rough one he had laying around.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

... The motor needs new starter teeth. They are so stripped out that they wont even engage the flyweel. Can i buy just the starter teeth or do i need a whole new starter?

The teeth come as part of the 'drive', it requires a tear-down and they're{the drive} not cheap...I had mine rebuilt{same year & Hp as yours, but a Johnson} worth it my opinion as you get new brushes, the starter drive{Bendix}, armature inspected/cleaned or replaced if needed and who knows what else they do/check...just my opinion, and thru my wife's work I got a great price.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The teeth come as part of the 'drive', it requires a tear-down and they're{the drive} not cheap...I had mine rebuilt{same year & Hp as yours, but a Johnson} worth it my opinion as you get new brushes, the starter drive{Bendix}, armature inspected/cleaned or replaced if needed and who knows what else they do/check...just my opinion, and thru my wife's work I got a great price.

What do you mean by "drive"? I have already removed the bendix from the starter. One nut on the top of it and it slides off. Is there more that i am missing?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

What do you mean by "drive"? I have already removed the bendix from the starter. One nut on the top of it and it slides off. Is there more that i am missing?

Drive/Bendix - same thing...I'm not qualified to answer what's involved, that's why I had mine rebuilt...just going by what my wife and her co-workers say{she's been in aftermarket auto parts for almost thirty years and deals with marine customers on a regular basis... fwiw}.