1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

dozerII

Admiral
Hull is looking real good deck, I'm going to have to look into using those style drain tubes, I have used the nylon ones in the past.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I bet it feels like a turkey in an oven sitting inside that hull in full sun. Thats sucker is shining Decker.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's the drain for the bilge right? So yeah use 5200 since it's below the waterline it's entire life.

Decker83

Commander
She cleaned up good!
Thanks, I still need to go over the corrosion with a ss wire brush.

Hull is looking real good deck, I'm going to have to look into using those style drain tubes, I have used the nylon ones in the past.
Thanks, I haven't used the nylon ones before so just went with the aluminum ones.. Not sure how much difference it makes..

I bet it feels like a turkey in an oven sitting inside that hull in full sun. Thats sucker is shining Decker.
Man did you get that right.. Except I'm just an old buzzard..:D

That's the drain for the bilge right? So yeah use 5200 since it's below the waterline it's entire life.
Thanks for the info watermann. I thought I should use something..

Decker83

Commander
No new boat work so far..:blue:
But I did get some good news today..
Put the glasser up on CL and sold the trailer and boat for $250.00..:D
So I recouped some of my money and didn't have to haul the boat to the dump..:clap2:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Just read through your whole thread. Nice work! It's coming along nicely?..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Good fix jbc !
Making good progress Decker ! Glad ya made it through all the bad weather ... Man looking at all the rivets in the transom makes me appreciate grinding glass a little more .. :D Nice work !

Decker83

Commander
Just read through your whole thread. Nice work! It's coming along nicely…..
Thanks djpeters and welcome aboard.. It is coming along but not as fast as I would like it too.. I keep telling myself how much I'm going to do today and only about a third gets done.. Work a little and rest a lot..:deadhorse:

Fixed it ^^^ for ya's ;)

Good news on the donor boat sale
Thanks for looking out for me jbc.. I guess a old buzzard would be tough..:noidea:

Good fix jbc !
Making good progress Decker ! Glad ya made it through all the bad weather ... Man looking at all the rivets in the transom makes me appreciate grinding glass a little more .. :D Nice work !

Glad you dropped in Sam.. One good thing I can say about all the rivets is they don't make you itch..:D
Hope to get more done now that the rain has stopped..

Last edited by a moderator:

Decker83

Commander
I have been reading about sand blasting the hull will get it to hot.. So I have been out today using a ss wire cup brush on a buffer with a controlled speed..
It seems to get the aluminum hot..

Question 1.. How hot is to hot when using the wire brush? Will the heat effect the hull?
Question 2.. Does buffing the aluminum to a mirror finish cause a heat build too? How hot will the aluminum get when buffing?

I have all the glue completely removed from the hull.. There is some light pitting were the carpet was..
Question 3.. Should I continue using the wire brush to clean up the corrosion or use something like Scotch Bright with cleaning vineger and water?

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
I used a nylon cup brush and wheels for much of the hull cleaning. I found them less aggressive than the metal ones and I didn't have to deal with flying bristles stabbing me.

Watermann

The reason not to use a sand blaster is it will erode the AL and pit it badly. I think the sun will heat up your AL more than a wire brush would and over more area. If heating the AL concerns you just choose a couple different areas to alternate back and forth on your wheeling efforts so it has a chance to cool off.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
3m paint stripping disc worked best for me, nylon cup for around rivets too.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
The gluing of carpet or other material to the AL always seems cause some corrosion too as water will always gets in behind it and sit there. Removing adhesive is a huge PITA.

Just noticed how they made the hull stiffener at the rib ends on your SS, very interesting not sure I've seen that before.

Good progress there Decker!! You're nearly cresting the miserable stage of the resto....then its all downhill! :lol:

Agua, EZ's SS had the same outer-chine reinforcement. Pretty solid however access to the double-rivet seam (repair, gluvit, etc) is Impossible.

Decker83

Commander
The reason not to use a sand blaster is it will erode the AL and pit it badly. I think the sun will heat up your AL more than a wire brush would and over more area. If heating the AL concerns you just choose a couple different areas to alternate back and forth on your wheeling efforts so it has a chance to cool off.

Thanks Watermann.. That was the kind of answer I was looking for..

Decker83

Commander
Thanks guys for your input.. That's what makes this forum so great..

Thanks classicat.. Still have a long way to go..

Decker83

Commander
I was able to get in some work in after work this week.. Got out this morning and pulled the angle on the starboard and port side that hold the transom..
Use a chisel and cut the heads off the rivets and punched them thru without using the drill.. This left me a clean hole.. I wouldn't do it that way if I had alot to do..
Finished up all the ss wire brushing..
My ss cup brush was a 4" dia. and a very small crimped wire.. Using the buffer set at a low speed I removed very little aluminum.. Didn't have little pieces of
wire flying everywhere.. Worked well for me.. Cheap HF buffer..

Had about a quart left of the adhesive remover so I tried it to remove some paint with it.. It did remove the paint after about three coats.. Thought I would use it
all up..
Here or some pics for today..
100_3355.jpg

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Lookin good Decker! REAL Clean on that inside! Let me know when I can drop mine off at your place for a tune up :thumb:

Watermann

Looking good on the clean up Decker.

Man this stage of boat work is painstakingly slow, at least it was for me but once you get all the repairs behind you, watch out the rest goes quick.